Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dance Competition criteria

Originally posted by Basil Brush
    Agree with DS- as in sport, you're only as good as the worse player. Can't beat a good lead and follow, and if you both travel with the music, you can produce the winning combination.
    Hmmm... I think I'm generally guilty of showboating, LoL... but I kinda feel that if I don't practice incorporating as much style as I can, then when I'm dancing with a stylish partner, I just won't know what to do with myself.

Had a *great* dance with one of the class teachers last week, she really made the floor sizzle - whoa, quadruple spins! I'm sure she would have been equally dazzling without me, but it was nice to feel like I was at least trying to make a contribution.

Live passionately,

Re: Individual Dancing

Originally posted by DavidB
    Something that occurred to me recently is the popularity of some of the younger male dancers around who are very good individual dancers. The style is very eye-catching, and sometimes the musical interpretation is superb (to the right music!). But how would you mark them in a competition?

In other words how much weight should be given to individual dancing ability in a partner-dance competition?

David
    Found this old thread ... and wondered of opinions had changed over the last year or so. 12 months ago we had a major flurry of debate, argument and pontification about what should win a Championship. 12 months on ... has anyone a clearer view?

A number of the Forum members are now judges themselves .... yet the results from the 4 (or 5) competitions in 2003 seem to indicate little consistency between the judging. Should there be concerted effort to come up with standard criteria and judges guidelines for all MJ competitions?

Commercial Operator

Re: Re: Individual Dancing

Originally posted by Gus
    A number of the Forum members are now judges themselves .... yet the results from the 4 (or 5) competitions in 2003 seem to indicate little consistency between the judging. Should there be concerted effort to come up with standard criteria and judges guidelines for all MJ competitions?
    In my opinion it's good that different competitions judge on different criteria. If means that different people can be 'the best'.

What I think is important is that the organiser publishes a clear statement of what the judges are looking for well in advance of the competiton so people can work on perfecting those aspects of their dancing.

Also, I think it is important that the winners are not found by using raw scores. As I demonstrated elsewhere, using raw scores could result in one judge having a massive influence over the eventual result - which can not be fair.

On a personal note, I live in hope that one day there will be a prize for 'sillyest competitor'...

Re: Re: Re: Individual Dancing

Originally posted by Andy McGregor
    On a personal note, I live in hope that one day there will be a prize for 'sillyest competitor'...
    I am not sure that the exact description is sillyest, however in the aerials competitions at Beach Boogie there is usually a prize awarded based on criteria not entirely unconnected with sillyest...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Individual Dancing

Originally posted by jiveclone
    I am not sure that the exact description is sillyest, however in the aerials competitions at Beach Boogie there is usually a prize awarded based on criteria not entirely unconnected with sillyest...
    Yup, and the Beach Boogie Blues competition has a 'most entertaining' award, as well as the standard positions - which I walked away with this year

Commercial Operator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Individual Dancing

Originally posted by RobC
    Yup, and the Beach Boogie Blues competition has a 'most entertaining' award, as well as the standard positions - which I walked away with this year
    I think 'walking' was too kind a description. How about 'fell into'

I'll have you know that was a carefully choreographed move, perfectly executed, and fantastically improvised by my partner Melody, who didn't have a clue what I was doing....

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Individual Dancing

I think it was well deserved, any man that dances a blues comp on his knees gets my vote

Commercial Operator
    I'll have you know that was a carefully choreographed move, perfectly executed, and fantastically improvised by my partner Melody, who didn't have a clue what I was doing....
    She was gifted just to stay on her feet the ground was shaking so much

She was gifted just to stay on her feet the ground was shaking so much
    Now now Andy. Just because you're jealous that I didn't enter the competition with you ....

Re: Competition Coaching

Originally posted by Gus

wheras I still think that it would be a shame for the competition circuit to lose its current friendliness.... or is it too late for that? It seems a natural progression in other sports/activities I taken part in that as the desire/pressure to improve grows, participants have to take things more seriously and then it becomes more difficult to enjoy the activity purely for its own sake.
    Have both! Big serious competitions for people that want that, and the occasional little club level competitions for people who want the thrill of competing but without expectations regarding performance and the associated practising.

Re: Re: Competition Coaching

Originally posted by JamesGeary
    Have both! Big serious competitions for people that want that, and the occasional little club level competitions for people who want the thrill of competing but without expectations regarding performance and the associated practising.
    ...and thats exactly what we're goin to do!

OK ... maybe not 'club level', but the next best thing. Following on from the Martin/Andy McG thread, we WILL be hosting a North West Event .. probably in July for our region ... just the small matter of judges, dancers, rules, venues, publicity etc. etc.

Still trying to work out the balance between making it for fun, yet still interesting enough for people to be motivated to enter. Also working on format. Want to make it more freestyle than competition, which is causing problems with timings!

Commercial Operator

Re: Re: Re: Competition Coaching

Originally posted by Gus
    ...and thats exactly what we're goin to do!

OK ... maybe not 'club level', but the next best thing. Following on from the Martin/Andy McG thread, we WILL be hosting a North West Event .. probably in July for our region ... just the small matter of judges, dancers, rules, venues, publicity etc. etc.

Still trying to work out the balance between making it for fun, yet still interesting enough for people to be motivated to enter. Also working on format. Want to make it more freestyle than competition, which is causing problems with timings!
    Start early, say 4pm, so you only have the finals after 8pm and have it all over by 8.30 so everyone can get on with the freestyle. Then have a speed prizegiving at 10pm for 10 mins.

People would come to the dance for 3 reasons;

1. To support their friends.
    2. To watch the competition.
    3. To dance with the competitors.

It's bound to be popular - nobody would dare put on a competing dance that day

Thread Information