Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally - a Brit wins something on the Aussies turf...

Re: Finally - a Brit wins something on the Aussies turf...

Quote Originally Posted by Martin
    In the final each guy got to dance with every girl for about 1 minute, even if they were regular dance partners. They were judged individualy, seperate judging for the guys and the seperate judging for the girls.

Its all slowly ebbing towards a ballroom-like competition. In the past when I competed either myself or my partner had to fold over their number as they were not being judged.
    This is great and I love the idea for DWAS from Oz but I cant help but wonder how long it all takes judging each individual.
    If it works well over there I want to see it over here ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F
    Its all slowly ebbing towards a ballroom-like competition. In the past when I competed either myself or my partner had to fold over their number as they were not being judged.
    This is great and I love the idea for DWAS from Oz but I cant help but wonder how long it all takes judging each individual.
    If it works well over there I want to see it over here ASAP.
    Quite straight forward, half the judges, judge the guys, half the judges, judge the girls...

Quote Originally Posted by Martin
    Quite straight forward, half the judges, judge the guys, half the judges, judge the girls...
    Ah I see.
    Yeah, why not. I like it

Im sure it would trigger endless threads on which judges judged which sex but thats half the fun

Well Done Adam

Two questions though...

When's the video coming out?

And

did you need the butter for your hotel room?

Cheers

R-K

Ceroc DJ

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas
    The word patriotism referred to Robin, who is working for Ceroc Metro and related to Gary's post, as quoted. So you kind of misunderstood me there.
    Actually - I don't work for CerocMetro. I own/run a pretty good IT consultancy in London. Tezi (Adam's ex-wife) does however work for Adam - I'm just somewhere in the jumble (see 3 page colour spread in Daily Mail archives!)

Sydney, Australia. A _long_ way from Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin
    Errmm - actually I was referring to the fact that the local Aussies would be devastated that a Brit won this one ...
    Aha, sorry I misunderstood. But then, so did you. I'm pretty sure we're all happy to be see some new faces, and for the bar to be raised.

Ceroc Franchisee & Teacher cerocmetro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F
    If you're reading this big congrats Adam.

In my strange little world I would class this as the top award I would like to win. The sooner we adopt this approach to DWAS the better.

HI All
    Back in NZ now and WOW what a brilliant time in Sydney.
    Firstly a huge thanks to our host Mark Harding. He and Simone are expecting a baby in two weeks so we wish them the very best of luck and happiness.

Now the competition. Talk about slick. The results were published in less than three minutes.

The whole event kept running ahead and was padded with freestyle.

The teams were amazing, the standard was so high any of them could have been professional dance groups.

I have never entered a comp before other than teams where I can hide in the other dancers so being asked by Mark to enter the DWAS was a bit nervey especially the way they run it. The men kept moving around every minute until you had danced with all the ladies. There were 6 couples on at a time. Half the judges judged the girls the others the boys. This meant that luck was taken out of the equation and everyone was judged on their own ability. Imagine how I felt dancing next to Adrian Monico and other top Ozzie dancers. I was the shortest and every girl was being thrown over my head height.

I decided to not do the few aerials I know which to be honest their beginners were probably doing better and instead go for the musicality and style. Thank goodness Donna aka the pocket rocket was a judge and got excited about a non arial performance. I also tried letting every girl I danced with do their own thing the plan being if they feel comfortable it must look good.

Plan B worked and by some act of insanity I won.

Thank you for all the PM's and emails.

To answer a few questions in one go, no I am still approachable and Like the Tramp will give autographes away for free.

The video/DVD is in the production stage titled how to win a competition by not doing anything much.

Yes its true I am related to Conan the B. I thought my natural build was a give away there.

I do still run CerocMetro and visit the UK every 12 weeks. However this would be impossible without such an awesome crew.

Not sure why someone said the Ozzies hate me? Maybe they are shorti phoebes. But to be honest I have never met a warmer group of people. (not counting my visits to Scotland of course).

Anyway would I recommend going? Put it this way, we ate HUGE breakfasts by the beach. Popped along to Manly and Bondi beaches which are both amazing. Shopped like crazy, sailed around Sydney harbour. Had some great pre champ and after champ parties. Enjoyed the 30deg sunshine. The music was very good, the dancers amazing, the venues good. The hospitality superb. Mark made entry Free to all overseas visitors.

I have added a couple of pics. One is of Mandy checking out the competitors, she is in the blue bikini, one of us having a look at a new venue for the JiveMasters 2006 and one of Mandy hearing I won DWAS and fearing that my ego might be too hard to live with.

Adam
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by cerocmetro
    Thank goodness Donna aka the pocket rocket was a judge and got excited about a non arial performance.
    This could be interpreted as being insulting towards the other judges who obviously liked what they saw so well done Adam. However I am assuming they did not fluke the decision and know something about style and music interpretation also and have done for sometime. Unless you are indirectly poking fun of yourself and because of their inadequaces as judges and dancers in this criteria it allowed you to prevail.

That fact that Aussies only care about moves and not music interpretation I feel is a grave misconception and insulting unless of course YOUR judges are also getting it wrong with the likes of Nicky and Robert, Adrian and Louise, Clayton and Janine, Louise raish etc.

Ceroc Franchisee & Teacher cerocmetro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ads
    This could be interpreted as being insulting towards the other judges who obviously liked what they saw so well done Adam. However I am assuming they did not fluke the decision and know something about style and music interpretation also and have done for sometime. Unless you are indirectly poking fun of yourself and because of their inadequaces as judges and dancers in this criteria it allowed you to prevail.

That fact that Aussies only care about moves and not music interpretation I feel is a grave misconception and insulting unless of course YOUR judges are also getting it wrong with the likes of Nicky and Robert, Adrian and Louise, Clayton and Janine, Louise raish etc.
    I was not trying or meant in any way to insult any of the judges. I looked at the mass of talent on the floor with me and gulped.

However a couple of girls who were sitting near me were approached by some of the other competitors (who shall not be named) and asked if they wanted to practice some moves in the event that they would get to dance together. The moves they wanted to practice were all aerials. I thought then that they were already trying to plan set pieces and from the girls reactions this was not uncommon.

I do think that the Aussies are getting more and more into music interpretation but the majority of dancers do seem to still think that the huge moves are more important and will miss key brekas and accents for a good throw over the head.

Mandy never stood a chance. She is 5 foot weighs very little and her feet were hardly on the floor. She had to see an oesteo as soon as we got back to NZ. Try convincing her that the dancers were into musicality and not big moves and you wont get very far.

Nicky & Robert do work hard on MI, Clayton and Janine self confessed, have changed their style a lot over the past few years and are now superb at MI,
    Adriann and Louise are good but I do feel they would not miss a chance for a big move. I believe they spend an aweful lot of time training with the Cirque du Soleil. They are awesome at showcase, second to none, they choreograph their moves into the routines and they are great crowd pleasers.

I would love to see the ultimate for me is DWAS Aussie style but with the UK comp rules of no aerials. This would be a genuine who dances best against who has the best moves. Of course it is all subjective but a real shock came in the UK when Vicktor was told on a TV comptetion that he was not dancing.

Again it comes back to the age old arguement, "what is Ceroc"?

I am sorry I do not know Louise riash.

As for the reference to Donna, I think what I meant was it gave me a glimmer of confidence seeing a judge who I knew was into MI. I had no idea who the other judges were and so had no idea what they were looking for. It was a first time for me in Sydney but worse still the first for me entering a competition where I could not hide in a team. I am quite shy really and very unsure about my own abilities. Was I lucky or brilliant, that is not for me to say all I know is that my legs were like jelly before and after. Perhaps the jelly legs pleased the judges?

I taught 2 workshops in Sydney. Both were based around MI and were very well received. The general feedback was yes we like this from the girls and I am not sure about all this moving and wiggling from the guys. The Guys really wanted to be in control and felt uncomfortable giving the girls space to show off and be creative. So perhaps a vote, what do the boys want and is it different to what the girls want?

When I moved on to my next partner in the comp the first thing I did was ask the gilrs what they wanted to do to show off. After all I was not dancing on my own and the girls had to have a chance. Without exception they all said spin me and let me shake my ****. None of them said throw me up to the ceiling and wait for me to come down.

Adam

what do the boys want and is it different to what the girls want?
    Adam

You REALLY have to ask a question like this Adam??
    Didn't you know men are from Mars and women are from Venus!!!! Of course we want different things!!!!

Well done Adam,you obviously showed these Aussies how to dance!!

Heather,
    xx

...... the first thing I did was ask the gilrs what they wanted to do to show off. After all I was not dancing on my own and the girls had to have a chance. Without exception they all said spin me and let me shake my ****. None of them said throw me up to the ceiling and wait for me to come down.

Adam

Well done, Adam - a great win indeed.

Lily

I taught 2 workshops in Sydney. Both were based around MI and were very well received. The general feedback was yes we like this from the girls and I am not sure about all this moving and wiggling from the guys. The Guys really wanted to be in control and felt uncomfortable giving the girls space to show off and be creative. So perhaps a vote, what do the boys want and is it different to what the girls want?
    You taught those workshops with CA (Mark). Giving the girls room to play is rarely taught in CA classes. In my experience (I dance regularly with both companies), give a CA girl a chance to play and she stands there looking blank (because the guys are not taught to do this, so the girls have no idea what to do when it happens). However, with the CMJ (Nicky) girls, the problem is to stop them playing long enough to lead something I want to do (differences may have been exaggerated for sake of contrast).

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Mandy never stood a chance. She is 5 foot weighs very little and her feet were hardly on the floor. She had to see an oesteo as soon as we got back to NZ.
    Ouch! She has my sympathy. And that in itself (safety) is a good case for banning aerials from a DWAS competition.

I would love to see the ultimate for me is DWAS Aussie style but with the UK comp rules of no aerials.
    Even an arh-anti-competitionist like me would be tempted by that.

I am quite shy really and very unsure about my own abilities.
    We really need a Forum Quotes page...

Oh, and congratulations

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    Ouch! She has my sympathy. And that in itself (safety) is a good case for banning aerials from a DWAS competition.
    To be fair, it's a different environment there. So it's only behaviour that warrants slapping with a wet haddock, rather than over here, where staking over an anthill seems appropriate.

Even an arh-anti-competitionist like me would be tempted by that.
    Arrr, me hearty! But you be forgettin' speak like a pirate day be long o'er now!

We really need a Forum Quotes page...
    Well I'm trying to provide content...

Oh, and congratulations
    Yeah, Adam the Barbarian done good!

Without exception they all said spin me and let me shake my ****. None of them said throw me up to the ceiling and wait for me to come down.

Adam
    On a general note, I understand this is a good thing, as they would like to shake their thing...

On a practical note, who would ask someone smaller and lighter than them to throw them up into the air and .... ummm maybe... catch them

Means you had to "dance". Dance you did

When I moved on to my next partner in the comp the first thing I did was ask the gilrs what they wanted to do to show off. After all I was not dancing on my own and the girls had to have a chance.Adam
    An excellent tip!

Many congratulations, Adam. RESPECT!

I would love to see the ultimate for me is DWAS Aussie style but with the UK comp rules of no aerials.
    Even if this may not eventuate in this lifetime, with your success you may have well pathed the way for a re-consideration on behalf of the Oz competitors if it is really necessary to have aerials to win. We now know it is not

The Oracle

I would love to see the ultimate for me is DWAS Aussie style but with the UK comp rules of no aerials. This would be a genuine who dances best against who has the best moves.
    So why not try it in your Jive Masters competition?

Quote Originally Posted by Raul

P.S I thought that Viktor won the Australian Jivemasters. If I am correct a Brit has already won before.

Well done Adam - Good on you!

Going back to the title of this thread - Finally - a Brit wins something on the Aussies turf. Yes Viktor has won in Oz and I won the Masters last year, so it is not one way traffic in favour of the Ossies!

Roger C.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB
    So why not try it in your Jive Masters competition?
    Jive Master is a totally different format, though, isn't it? It's a "invited (great dancer) couples" thing, I believe?

Having said that, it's a good question - why not run something like that at, say, the next Cheshunt DWAS?

It doesn't have to be "everyone move around all the time", but even one or two switches would be better than none in reducing the "pot luck" element. Bit more work for the judges, of course, but no pain no gain.

Thread Information