Thread: Desperately seeking...

Desperately seeking...

Okay, this will probably sound incredibly stupid, (I can see people leaving already) but I would love to go to the Inverness classes on a thursday night, but haven't yet because no one will go with me, and I'm just a tad shy...

Anyway, I need help!

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Re: Desperately seeking...

Quote Originally Posted by Ankhesenamen
    I would love to go to the Inverness classes on a thursday night, but haven't yet because no one will go with me, and I'm just a tad shy...

Anyway, I need help!
    Help is on hand
    Firstly, there's no class on this Thursday 6th October, so don't head along this week.

Secondly, I'll be there on the 13th, so please come along and we can have a chat before the class.

They're a fab bunch in Inverness, I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself and as you've danced before you'll be very popular
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Okay, this will probably sound incredibly stupid, (I can see people leaving already) but I would love to go to the Inverness classes on a thursday night, but haven't yet because no one will go with me, and I'm just a tad shy...

Anyway, I need help!
    Please don't feel that you have to take anyone with you: I understand that it's a bit intimidating, but everyone is freindly and chatty (well, they were last time I was there).
    The format of the classes is that people are rotated; you get a chance to say hi and a little bit of dancing with most people during the class. After this, the ice has been broken and a night of smiling, watching dancers, chatting with other people and dancing yourself will then ensue.

Go a second time, and you will recognise some of the faces - and they will recognise you. It then gets easier with each return visit.

I think it's still Franck that teaches up there; just say Hi to him and he'll put you at ease.

Gadget, I'll bet you've already danced with Ankhesenamen, she used to go to Jumpin Jaks in Aberdeen
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

probably - but I'm not the most talkative of dancers; I could tell you the name of about ten ladies I dance with.

{erm... Dosn't mean I don't know you, remember you or like dancing with you; people are more than just a name - I remember faces.
    did I get away with that?}

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget
    did I get away with that?
    Depends which of us you were talking to

ye s come along Ankhesenamen there`s plenty of us come on our own,myself included
    tho must agree its a bit daunting coming on own for the first time

but none of us bite and as Gadget and Tigger babe say theres a great bunch here and the classes are fun fun fun

and i do believe Tigger babe is our teacher on the 13 th
    as Franck away skiving

Please don't feel that you have to take anyone with you: I understand that it's a bit intimidating, but everyone is freindly and chatty (well, they were last time I was there).
    It's not to do with having anyone to dance with as such, just so I know someone to talk to while I'm not dancing, so I don't look like a complete fool..although, I tend to sometimes anyway (I'm a bit mad)

probably - but I'm not the most talkative of dancers; I could tell you the name of about ten ladies I dance with.

{erm... Dosn't mean I don't know you, remember you or like dancing with you; people are more than just a name - I remember faces.
    did I get away with that?}
    Yes you did. If I knew what you looked like, I would probably remember you too. This is why the internet is evil...you never know what someone really looks like...

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerbabe
    Help is on hand
    Firstly, there's no class on this Thursday 6th October, so don't head along this week.

Secondly, I'll be there on the 13th, so please come along and we can have a chat before the class.

They're a fab bunch in Inverness, I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself and as you've danced before you'll be very popular

Sounds good, unfortunately I don't know what you look like, and so could end up talking to a nutter (there are a lot in Inverness I've found, including myself), and you don't know what I look like, so you might end up talking to the wrong nutter.

Also, I'm not really that good. I know enough to follow a man's lead (very dangerous, I know!) but I can't lead myself. Plus, I can't really imagine that many intermediates at Inverness yet, although that just might be me being stupid :p

Little Miss Jazz Shoes Jazz_Shoes (Ash)'s Avatar

Please don't feel that you have to take anyone with you:~snip~
    I go by myself every week, as well as another few forumites that I could mention, as long as you talk to as many people as possible then you will have no problem. If I was up at Inverness I would talk to you...you wouldn't really have a choice I try to get to know almost everyone at all the venues that I attend ...i'm a Leo so guess that explains it for me. But you sound as if you are all sorted so

Sounds good, unfortunately I don't know what you look like, and so could end up talking to a nutter
    Just click on her profile, theres a lovely big picture of her on there, plus she behaves just like her avatar...or so i've been told There is one of Gadget too-but he's just a big poser

Ash x

... I'm just a tad shy...
    Me too, but somehow I was foolhardy enough to go along to a Ceroc class all on my own back in February... (I was trying to impress a girl. )

These days I find myself doing crazy things like travelling from Glasgow up to Inverness just to go to the Ceroc class. (Did that back at the beginning of September.)

I can't say I wasn't apprehensive, but all the people I met in Inverness were really friendly and I had a great time.

I think you should go along early on the 13th and meet up with Sheena (Tiggerbabe) and she can introduce you to Iain, and some of the others, and then you'll have someone to talk to when you're not dancing.

Or do what I did when I started, and didn't know anyone – I sat on my own, but tried to avoid looking like a complete fool by sending text messages to a friend about how it was going.

I hope you enjoy yourself, and maybe next time I'm crazy enough to take a wee trip up to Inverness you'll be there for me to talk to because I'll know hardly anybody.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
    Just click on her profile, theres a lovely big picture of her on there, plus she behaves just like her avatar...or so i've been told There is one of Gadget too-but he's just a big poser
    guilty as charged
    There is also the thread Who's who - post a picture or Avatar costume competition from last year's BFG, or Lorna's Birthday Party Photos

I couldn't make it last week unfortunately, in the end. Sorry tiggerbabe. But, I will be there with bells on tomorrow night, so yay!

Hopefully will meet lots of new people tomorrow, and not feel so nervous. My partner is taking me tomorrow, although he won't be dancing, so I'm not alone.

YAY!

My partner is taking me tomorrow, although he won't be dancing
    He won't? I wouldn't bet on it

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerbabe
    He won't? I wouldn't bet on it
    He tried it in aberdeen, and did enjoy it, but had the unfortunate experience of dancing with someone very rude. That's not why he's not dancing tonight (he's sitting here watching me type!), but it didn't help really.

Commercial Operator

It's ok: Sheena can be very persuasive...

Allegedly, she can be very rude, too...

Quote Originally Posted by Ceroc Jock
    It's ok: Sheena can be very persuasive...
    Ah, but she hasn't met andrew yet...wait...never mind...

Thread Information