Re: How to get a look in ??

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    Carry your bags, sir?
    That one was funnier the first time - I'm still waiting for your cheque

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hey i've had an idea...

How about, every alternate lady through the door gets given either a red or blue badge, then, if the evening becomes terribly unbalanced, the dj could announce, for the next track, only ladies wearing red badges are allowed to 'ask'

Then the next track, it'd be the blue ladies chance.

The men would always be free to ask who they wanted
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory
    Hey i've had an idea...

How about, every alternate lady through the door gets given either a red or blue badge, then, if the evening becomes terribly unbalanced, the dj could announce, for the next track, only ladies wearing red badges are allowed to 'ask'

No that doesnt sound good at all!
    Sods/murphies (what ever it is) law all the good tracks that i want to dance to will be playing when its not my turn!

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lory
    Hey i've had an idea...

A bit like this solution to overcrowding, you mean?

On the subject of grabbing hot sweaty guys straight off the dance-floor - I might occasionally approach a guy in this condition and say something like, "Please may I have the next dance with you after you've had a chance to refresh yourself?" That seems to work OK - just hope they don't think I'm really suggesting they're too hot and sweaty for me to fancy dancing this track with!

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Msfab
    No that doesnt sound good at all!
    Sods/murphies (what ever it is) law all the good tracks that i want to dance to will be playing when its not my turn!
    Yeah, I never thought about that... back to the drawing board
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Was thinking of a similar idea to Lory's in that everyone gets a coloured / numbered ticket. You get the DJ to announce what the combinations are: e.g. partners tickets must add to a multiple of five, or ten, or be same "evenness" as their partners, or red/green and blue/yellow.

It's just a variation on the old mixer games we used to do at ballroom -- both partner's ages have to add up to under 60, or over 90, or both have to have the same coloured underwear, or heights add up in some range / weights. Never used to be taken terribly seriously, and was quite good at mixing people -- provided that they took part!

SpinDr.

Quote Originally Posted by spindr
    Was thinking of a similar idea to Lory's in that everyone gets a coloured / numbered ticket. You get the DJ to announce what the combinations are: e.g. partners tickets must add to a multiple of five, or ten, or be same "evenness" as their partners, or red/green and blue/yellow.

It's just a variation on the old mixer games we used to do at ballroom -- both partner's ages have to add up to under 60, or over 90, or both have to have the same coloured underwear, or heights add up in some range / weights. Never used to be taken terribly seriously, and was quite good at mixing people -- provided that they took part!

SpinDr.
    Sounds fun, but you need someone with good organising skills, don't you? Or you'd get chaos (well, you would round yer anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by spindr
    or both have to have the same coloured underwear

So who checks this requirement?

Quote Originally Posted by timbp
    It could also relate to the fact that at half the venues I regularly attend there are more guys than girls. Tonight I sat out the beginners class because there were more guys sitting out than there were girls on the dance floor.
    Hmm. Perhaps I should consider emigrating. Do they still have that points system?

On a related matter, how are you all coping with Nessa. She's not shy about asking for a dance, nor about asking for (or simply taking) the lead.

Tim
    Nessa's absolutely lovely, she asked me, twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Icey
    ... sometimes if I'm very lucky get periods where I don't come off the floor for several tracks.

When a track starts and I'm on the sidelines I will usually wait until asked and if I'm not then I'll check out the guys that are on the sidelines with me and ask one of them. There are also times where I'm grabbed by guys as I'm making my way off the dance floor. There are also other situations when I've not been able to get a dance for love nor money for quite a while.

Recently, I was monopolised by an exceptional man. After dance number 6 (not all of them consecutive), I lost count. Whilst part of me felt guilty about depriving the local regular ladies of his charms, I just couldn't turn him down. After all, I was 300 miles from home and will probably never dance with him again. But I will treasure those dances forever.

I think of that night when I'm having a "Lily Night" and it makes being a wall flower seems slightly less unbearable. This thread has been very useful and I'll vow not to take it to heart on those nights when I can't get a man for love nor money...

Daisy

(A Selfish Little Flower)

PS I'm not divulging my exceptional man's name or you'll all be stampeding after him and I won't get a look in.

Quote Originally Posted by timbp
    On a related matter, how are you all coping with Nessa. She's not shy about asking for a dance, nor about asking for (or simply taking) the lead.
    She will never be the same - we've warped her into a shy and retiring little woman who follows meakly.

BTW, if anyone thinks twice about asking me because I look hot, sweaty, knackered and/or in need of a drink: please don't. There is no place I would rather be at that time than on the dance floor, and if you are asking, then there is no-one I would rather be there with.

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Chain

...... I think of that night when I'm having a "Lily Night" ......

Blog Entries

This thread made me somewhat paranoid that I'd unwittingly become an Evil and Thoughtless Person - so I resolved to go out dancing last night & try to be more considerate towards my partners. Actually, it turned out to be like most evenings, and probably typical of the experience of the vast majority of ladies. I imagine that most of us are in the middle of the two extremes highlighted here, falling somewhere between the extremely pushy, and the reticent to ask.

The scene of my experiment was Cheltenham. Sadly, I arrived at the end of the first freestyle (mostly due to the fact that I just never can get the hang of the Cheltenham one-way system) so I only had the final freestyle to play with.

At the end of the intermediate class at this venue, it's commonplace for people to finish, instead of going into freestyle with their current partner. Which, actually, was a blessing, as I'd ended up with a "somewhat forceful" dancer. So I thanked him, and made the excuse that I needed a drink. After a couple of sips, I was pounced upon by my favourite partner & whisked off. At the end of the track, he asked me for another. He's a lovely dancer and very much in demand - there were other ladies jigging & waiting around, but I wasn't going to say no... We finished the second & went our separate ways - he was quickly pounced upon.

I actually asked for my next dance, as I ended up at the side of the dancefloor. He was a complete stranger - turns out he was a relatively new intermediate, but it was fun. Then, whilst leaving the floor, I was grabbed by a chap with the words "Oi! Bristol Girl! Fancy a dance?!". (I'd only met him during the class!). That was also fun.

The next track was C&W based - so it was a perfect opportunity to freshen up! And I sat out the next track too, as nobody approached me whilst I was sitting at the table. In the end, I had to stand up & wander closer to the dancefloor, where I found a dear friend, who I approached with a wicked twinkle & asked "Would you like to ask me to dance?" (Does that count as not asking a chap? ). Anyway - we had a lovely dance, and I asked him for a follow on, which he obliged me with.

I'm hopeless at waiting around to be asked! So I stayed on the dancefloor & also tried The Line on a dear Forumite, who said yes. On leaving the dancefloor, I was again asked by that favourite dancer who happened to be passing & free. So I had a further dance with him. (Ooops - is that monopolising?) Before I could sit down again, I was then asked by a stranger, which was nice.

I then managed to reach my seat & have a drink and a gossip with a friend. By that time, the evening was getting on - so I sought out another Forumite & again used The Line! Because the dear chap had said he was tired, I didn't ask for another - which turned out to be the last dance. So I asked Jill for a dance (as I figured I was allowed to ask if I was the lead!).

So. There you go. Not much different than a usual night, There were 3 or 4 chaps I would've liked to have danced with, but didn't get the opportunity. At least one of them I would've had to approach myself, so I think I lost out there.

I was talking to a girl who is trying to start ballroom dancing. Although she was told "No partner required", the de facto rule seems to be that if you do not bring along a man, you do not get a dance. The couples either stick together, or occasionally trade partners. I would hate to think that we could evolve from where we are now to that situation, but it is one solution.
    I have seen little cliques of about 4 pairs visiting a venue, and pretty much just dancing within their group, which is a step in that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver
    ... if you do not bring along a man, you do not get a dance. The couples either stick together, or occasionally trade partners. I would hate to think that we could evolve from where we are now to that situation, but it is one solution.
    I have seen little cliques of about 4 pairs visiting a venue, and pretty much just dancing within their group, which is a step in that direction.
    Let's hope it doesn't go that way - one of the things so brilliant about our evenings is that you'll never get 2 that are exactly the same!

I was talking to a girl who is trying to start ballroom dancing. Although she was told "No partner required", the de facto rule seems to be that if you do not bring along a man, you do not get a dance. The couples either stick together, or occasionally trade partners. I would hate to think that we could evolve from where we are now to that situation, but it is one solution.
    I think that would be a disaster for MJ and don't see it as a solution as women arriving without men would never get to dance.

Usually if I go dancing anywhere I have at least one man in tow. (When I started going to salsa some weeks I turned up to classes with 3 men!) But I don't invite them along to be 'my' dance partners for the evening. (In fact at Southport I think it was late on the Sat night before I had my first dance with one of the NI guys and Sunday afternoon for another.)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    I think that would be a disaster for MJ and don't see it as a solution as women arriving without men would never get to dance...
    If you don't get a dance if you do not briing a man, then you either do not go, or else you bring a man, if only to trade. Either way, the numbers even out.
    I came from the end of the era of Saturday night ballroom dances where boys met girls. The dance lessons I attended were already going the partner route, with two or three singleton men rotating amongst 5 to 8 singleton ladies, and the rest of the class partnered. I think that was a disaster for ballroom. Fortunately the couples line in MJ classes I attend rarely exceeds 3.

If you don't get a dance if you do not briing a man, then you either do not go, or else you bring a man, if only to trade. Either way, the numbers even out.
    Trading men... but what if my one is worth 2 of someone elses?

Balance isn't a problem here in Belfast - expect those times when we have extra men.

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

I am glad we dont have the bring a partner situation. I started MJ by myself brought along two males in the following weeks, one decided it wasnt for him, and one met the girl of his dream at the class and now neither attend! If i needed a partner, i would now be scuppered!

Thread Information