Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dogs: recommendations

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Dogs: recommendations

Don't laugh, but I'm thinking about getting a dog. The problem is that I live in a flat with no garden. Are there any breeds that would be happy with a mainly indoor life? I've always imagined myself as having a labrador, or golden retriever, but I guess they're just too big.

Should I give up the idea or is it practical? I do have time to walk it regularly and there's a park about two minutes from here where it could run around.

Re: Dogs: recommendations

El Salsero Gringo = I do have time to walk it regularly ...
    so you have more time to dance then ...

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    Don't laugh, but I'm thinking about getting a dog. The problem is that I live in a flat with no garden. Are there any breeds that would be happy with a mainly indoor life? I've always imagined myself as having a labrador, or golden retriever, but I guess they're just too big.

Should I give up the idea or is it practical? I do have time to walk it regularly and there's a park about two minutes from here where it could run around.
    As long as you are prepared to get up in the morning to take it out somewhere (even if you want a lie it, it will still need to get outside if you don't want puddles!) then a small breed is happy enough with regular walks. Dogs like company, so its not a good idea if you have a long working day where its left alone all day.

I can see it now, ESG turning up with a chihuahua in his dance bag Next thing he'll be unbuttoning his shirts to the waist!

(Sorry, you have to have been to some of the Jango T dances, to appreciate this fully...)

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Don't laugh, but I'm thinking about getting a dog.
    Oops - sorry...

The problem is that I live in a flat with no garden.
    What does the lease / landlord say about pets?

Are there any breeds that would be happy with a mainly indoor life?
    Honestly, I dunno - I think dogs need space more than cats etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythm King
    I can see it now, ESG turning up with a chihuahua in his dance bag Next thing he'll be unbuttoning his shirts to the waist!

(Sorry, you have to have been to some of the Jango T dances, to appreciate this fully...)
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    Oops - sorry...
    Shame on you both for your mockery. I'm tempted to curse your houses unto the thousandth generation, but luckily for you I'm in a good mood today. So I will restrict myself to a single 'ni'.

'ni'.

(Okay, make that two.)

Glitter Queen

I'd love a dog, but as far as I can see it's just not fair on the animal. I too live in a flat with no garden and even though there is a park just over the road I'm not home enough to give it the proper amount of love and attention it deserves.
    Think very carefully before committing to an animal and remember that it would put heavy restrictions on your movements - especially holidays etc.
    Also bear in mind that it will cost money to keep and feed it, and should it become ill it can be an enormous amount of worry as well as expensive.

I know you're an intelligent chap and have probably thought about all this already, but I just thought I'd state the obvious for the record.

Shame on you both for your mockery. I'm tempted to curse your houses unto the thousandth generation, but luckily for you I'm in a good mood today. So I will restrict myself to a single 'ni'.

'ni'.

(Okay, make that two.)
    Well I want a shrubbery

TiggsTours

Scottie Dogs are nice. They're small, friendly, don't yap annoying all that much, don't smell too bad. Get a cat instead, they walk themselves, poo in the right place, aren't too demanding, don't smell too bad, sorry, not a dog person.

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by [B
    El Salsero Gringo [/B] Don't laugh, but I'm thinking about getting a dog.
    Stop this madness now, stop it now before you actually go through with this notion. Go dancing, forget about this idea of yours, you'll see reason in the morning.

=El Salsero Gringo The problem is that I live in a flat with no garden.
    Not a problem, no garden + no maintenance = more time to dance.

Aside from the obvious problems such as exercising it etc, there's also a noise thing to consider. I doubt that you could guarantee a dog wouldn't bark while you're out, and a barking dog in a block of flats, would echo the irritation to practically all your immediate neighbours. I don't think you'd be the most popular man in the block!

Quote Originally Posted by TiggsTours
    Scottie Dogs are nice. They're small, friendly, don't yap annoying all that much, don't smell too bad. Get a cat instead, they walk themselves, poo in the right place, aren't too demanding, don't smell too bad, sorry, not a dog person.
    Yes, I thought a cat would be more suitable in a flat, but people tend to be either a 'dog' or 'cat' person so presume ESG is a 'dog' person.

I'm a dog person and still really miss my dog who died just before Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Gojive
    Aside from the obvious problems such as exercising it etc, there's also a noise thing to consider. I doubt that you could guarantee a dog wouldn't bark while you're out, and a barking dog in a block of flats, would echo the irritation to practically all your immediate neighbours. I don't think you'd be the most popular man in the block!
    Yes, I am a dog person. And I would hope that it wouldn't annoy the neighbours by barking, it would annoy them by arguing, corrupting their children, and working out novel closed-form solutions for Einstein's field equations all over the pavement.
    Last edited by El Salsero Gringo; 29th-September-2005 at 03:05 PM.

Yes, I am a dog person. And I would hope that it wouldn't annoy the neighbours by barking, it would annoy them by arguing, corrupting their children, and working out novel closed-form solutions for Einstein's field equations all over the pavement.
    Of course this dog business could just be a substitute for something else that's missing in your life...

Is there something you're not telling us ESG?

I'm not laughing. A dog can be a great thing - intelligent conversation, always happy to see you etc. I've wanted one for a long time (as well as a compost heap) but until I live somewhere different, it's just going to have to wait. I'd go for a small breed. Schnauzers (not sure if that's how you spell it) or poodles are intelligent, bright dogs - both are in three sizes (I think), so you can have a small one. The only thing with having an intelligent dog is that they need to be kept busy - they are the ones that will know which one of your six chairs is an antique and chew it to bits if you aren't giving it enough attention.

However, if you like the idea of a labrador or golden retriever - they're gundogs designed for carrying lots of fat (to protect them when swimming into cold water to collect the ducks etc you've just shot) and frankly not the brightest crayon in the box. I wouldn't have one in a flat - they really need lots of space to run around in.

Good luck

Why the sarcasm? I was trying to be helpful, and point out something you may not have immediately thought about!.

I lived in a block of flats 2 years ago, where the couple in the flat below me thought it would be great to have dog. Every time they went out, the dog would wine and yap for hours, and could be heard 3 floors up. They couldn't understand why the other tenants were so angry with them, because the dog was quiet when they were there! No amount of talking to them, could make them see how downright selfish, ignorant, and irritating they were. Thankfully, they were evicted soon after multiple complaints were submitted to the landlord. They left the block, being despised by their neighbours.....

It was just something to be aware of, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gojive
    Why the sarcasm? I was trying to be helpful, and point out something you may not have immediately thought about!.
    Not sarcasm at all. Thanks for pointing it out, I hadn't really thought about that. Luckily it's a maisonette that I live in, with (I think) extremely thick walls but I shall do my best to keep the beast quiet.

Not sarcasm at all. Thanks for pointing it out, I hadn't really thought about that.
    OK, fair enough. Perhaps I jumped the gundog a bit in my interpretation of your post

I shall do my best to keep the beast quiet.
    And what will you do about the dog?

Not popular with everyone but I like Jack Russells, lots of character, loads of fun, very amusing with a football, not cissy and compact in size, can also be taken hillwalking. Just think Eddie from Frasier...

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Personally I wouldnt get a dog unless i had at least 2 acres of garden - they do make me sneeze though My Mother swears by chihuahuas, I just swear at them

Quote Originally Posted by ESG
    and working out novel closed-form solutions for Einstein's field equations all over the pavement.
    The neighbours will not appreciate what the dog leaves all over the pavement. Philistines.

Thread Information