Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: When is Too Old well Too Old?

Re: When is Too Old well Too Old?

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    Presumably you do think that other medical conditions should be treated and not left as 'nature intended'?
    Having a little knowledge about the side-effects of many medical treatments and how they can affect quality of life, on balance I'm not sure whether I would choose them for myself. I would, however, seek an 'alternative', but maybe that's because of the way I choose to earn a living.

And if so, how on earth can you draw the distinction between one and the other?
    It is not for me to make the distinction. Providing more people with more options and knowledge would then give them the opportunity to make their own informed choice.

Not if you choose to deny them fertility treatment they can't - no.
    You assume in all of this that I wish to be in a position of power within the system - I don't. I choose to opt out of this system and leave it for others to make their own decision. It is not for me to decide how others choose to live their lives or tell them that they are right or wrong (in relation to fertility treatment/medical intervention), unless they invite my opinion, in which case it is just that, an opinion - they can then still make their own choice.
    Last edited by Aleks; 26th-September-2005 at 08:23 AM.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks
    You assume in all of this that I wish to be in a position of power within the system - I don't. I choose to opt out of this system and leave it for others to make their own decision.
    Well, except that you pay taxes, and vote, I assume? In that case, this is your money we're talking about, and your elected representatives splashing it out...

Smile Re: When is Too Old well Too Old?

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M
    I had my Jack at 22 similar age to you - don't expect Jason to look after you in your 80's start working on the grandchildren I got mine in my 50's and the training is going well by the time I get my 80s I'll have a couple of hunky 30 something year olds to look after me
    Bless, My dad was sprang early from hospital recently. I was at work an hour a way when he was due home in 10 mintes. I phoned JAson and got him to go around let the ambulance men in and get him some shopping
    He did
    What a sweetie!!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    Well, except that you pay taxes, and vote, I assume? In that case, this is your money we're talking about, and your elected representatives splashing it out...
    I do pay taxes, but I can't vote in Britain.
    What the system does with the money I am obliged to pay is of little concern to me. What I do in my own life and the choices I make is of importance. It may seem a contradiction, but it works for me.
    The [very] little I contribute I see as paying for the roads to be kept in a reasonable condition, my rubbish to be taken away, the streets kept clean, an ambulance service, police etc.
    I no longer 'waste' energy worrying about what I can't change and make the changes I can.

I just used David's link and put in my own details, excepting that I gave my current age as 60. It said my life expectancy would be 101.
    Well, I answered the questionnaire and stated my true age, 31. I'm going to live until I'm 102. What utter rubbish! It was a very generalised and incomplete questionnaire, and left out a heck of a lot of important health questions.

But hey, if I'm gonna live til I'm 102, I'll wait until I'm about 70 before bothering to have kids....

LM

up the motorway, turn left, turn left, through the bends.......

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Long
    Not nonsense to me.

I am 43. I don't understand teenagers. What they wear, the trousers that hang round their knees, their writing like text messages and their speech punctuated by "whatever", "low", and "check it".

Can you imagine the total lack of communication between me at 60 and a teenager ??

I, for one, have left it too late to have children

Clive

Trust me you haven't, you'd make a great daddy!!!

My ex was 52 when our youngest was born, he was great with them, admittedly he had a very young wife (22 yrs younger) & admittedly we haven't seen him for 12 years, but when he was around he was a great dad & they didn't miss out on swimming & learning to ride bikes etc etc

However i do think it's a little selfish & unfair on the child as other parents will be younger & the chances are they won't be around to see that child grow up become a teenager, graduate, marry, have their own children.

I think there is an age when it's just not right.

I'd have another baby now but even i think 'i'll be drawing my pension & he/she could still be studying'

A pattern seems to be emerging here...

The best way for an older guy to have kids is to marry a girl much, much younger than himself.

Sounds like a plan to me!
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi
    The best way for an older guy to have kids is to marry a girl much, much younger than himself.
    Given the longer life expectancy of women, that's actually the best way of ensuring a long widowhood for your wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey
    Well, I answered the questionnaire and stated my true age, 31. I'm going to live until I'm 102. What utter rubbish! It was a very generalised and incomplete questionnaire, and left out a heck of a lot of important health questions.
    Yeah - do you get your money back if you die early then?

Sorry, I never intended that to be a good calculator, I just used it as an example. But 102? Blimey, you must be seriously fit :jealous icon:

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi

Sounds like a plan to me!
    To be fair, tho Duke, at your age u don't have much of a choice!!!!

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Locket
    However i do think it's a little selfish & unfair on the child as other parents will be younger & the chances are they won't be around to see that child grow up become a teenager, graduate, marry, have their own children. :
    Rubbish.

I was born when my father was 55. Since he retired early he had a lot more time to spend with me and the rest of our family than someone younger who's working 60 hours a week to pay the mortgage. Why is that selfish?

Don't ever, ever, confuse longevity with good parenting. There's no connection.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    Given the longer life expectancy of women, that's actually the best way of ensuring a long widowhood for your wife.
    No longer my problem...

Anyway, if I'm old enough and she's young enough, she could easily marry again... I'm sure there'll be plenty of suitors for my rich widow. (Not as a result of my wealth... I'm planning to marry into money. )
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Meglio del Cioccolato Demo

Rubbish.

I was born when my father was 55. Since he retired early he had a lot more time to spend with me and the rest of our family than someone younger who's working 60 hours a week to pay the mortgage. Why is that selfish?

Don't ever, ever, confuse longevity with good parenting. There's no connection.
    It's not selfish but seeing that the age of retirement keeps going up, it is not an argument, today!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Locket
    Trust me you haven't, you'd make a great daddy!!!

My ex was 52 when our youngest was born, he was great with them, admittedly he had a very young wife (22 yrs younger) & admittedly we haven't seen him for 12 years, but when he was around he was a great dad & they didn't miss out on swimming & learning to ride bikes etc etc

However i do think it's a little selfish & unfair on the child as other parents will be younger & the chances are they won't be around to see that child grow up become a teenager, graduate, marry, have their own children.

I think there is an age when it's just not right.

I'd have another baby now but even i think 'i'll be drawing my pension & he/she could still be studying'

Im 40 now an think im getting too old to have children not on moral grounds but just the 'god id be in my 50s with screaming teenagers'. Im not against it but i dont go 'looking'.

Me thinks to meet women 22 yrs younger maybe an idea and possible if she is russian and needs a visa ? maybe 22yrs a bit steep say 10 ??

Any good looking russian women out there who want to a visa but 2 kids as well before they leave me

Thread Information