18 35.29%
  • Silly Idea

1 1.96%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Advance Weekender

Re: Advance Weekender

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Long
    Edit: ChrisA: "Even Clive saying that he doesn't like it is fair enough ". You make me sound like a zealot young man.
    I was actually defending you - it was in the context of Minnie asking for constructive comments, and I meant that, even you saying you didn't like it (ie the invitation only thing) was a constructive comment.

I didn't say I didn't like the idea of the course - I thought it was positive - nowhere did I mention elitism - my only beef was with the "invitation only" dimension.
    Absolutely - always best to know what one's disagreeing about

I think invitation only is fair enough; in the absence of an objective measure such as medals and stuff, which I'm sure we don't want in MJ, any assessment is bound to be subjective to a degree, and will upset some.

But like Chicklet said, we don't all have to have the same carton of orange juice

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38
    Was going to say silly idea but read the thread all the way though and can see it has a lot of merits

You can as a man usually tell how good someone is in 15/20 seconds
    I like to take a little longer ... but I'm not as quick a worker as you Stewart

Maybe we could get Ann Robinson to abuse them before they left

or get Davina whats-her-name to shoot them on live TV with a humane killer. Think of the ratings !

Do you get the impressionI don't like this idea?

I will shut up now

Clive
    I thought this post had been deleted

Anyway, yes a little bit OTT Clive - however, your previous posts do have constructive critism of which I did ask for and do appreciate

For your sins U.O.Me - 5 yes FIVE dances in one evening

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Just looked at the voting results - and with the expection of Blues Dancer, who I don't know and doesn't want to post his reasons for the 'silly option' vote - all the others who have voted are indeed experienced dancers, so with this in mind, maybe the 'invite' thing does not have to happen, I should be able to trust people

--ooOoo--

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M
    all the others who have voted are indeed experienced dancers, so with this in mind, maybe the 'invite' thing does not have to happen, I should be able to trust people
    If you advertised it only here on the forum, then possibly so.

But bear in mind the fact that, as is often said, this forum is very unrepresentative of modern jivers in general.

And there are only 22 votes here, out of upwards of 1000 members. So it's not really representative even of the forum.

So a little caution, maybe, interpreting the vote.

Been thinking a bit about this for a while

For example, I think there's no point inviting an expert Salsa teacher to do a taster class for "advanced" MJ dancers -- in some sense it's overkill. Unless, the attendees are all advanced Salsa dancers -- which means they could more easily go to a Salsa event. Repeat for all other styles.

However, I think it would be interesting to turn the idea around and recast the event as say
    "A lead and follow event -- for a variety of dances" (or musicality, styling, etc., etc.).
    Then, rather than having the expert Salsa teacher teach a taster class -- they teach something at a reasonable level, so that they explain the "advanced" concepts of lead and follow -- from a Salsa viewpoint. Repeat for all other styles.

----

One thought might be to make the event self selecting in some sense -- perhaps make it a workshop where all "delegates" have to present a showcase, or teach what they regard as an advanced "lead and follow" technique to everyone else. Hopefully, if you don't have something "advanced" to present -- you might realise that the event's not for you?

Maybe one should be asked to present references

Anyway, enough rambling.

SpinDr

P.S. If there's an advanced class in "mucking about" then I'd definitely be interested

Learn a little practise a lot.

Why not get an advanced invitational group together at, or near, an established venue, pick a track, 2/3 couples dance to it at a time, everybody analyses the differences, moves, style points etc, and everybody learns from each other. When enough is enough all adjourn to the pub, or join the local venue. Move the venue around from week to week. Seems simple, cheap, and effective to me, and a lot easier to organise that a weekender.

Quote Originally Posted by spindr
    ..... think it would be interesting to turn the idea around and recast the event as say
    "A lead and follow event -- for a variety of dances" (or musicality, styling, etc., etc.).
    Then, rather than having the expert Salsa teacher teach a taster class -- they teach something at a reasonable level, so that they explain the "advanced" concepts of lead and follow -- from a Salsa viewpoint. Repeat for all other styles.
    Goody goody .... I like this idea, especially as the majority of voters have picked the styling category

..... make the event self selecting .
    another good idea It will take about a year to get it all together, booking hotel / teachers etc., plenty of time to get the dancers together, therefore 'self selecting' is definitely an option

Thanks spindr

--ooOoo--

I like to take a little longer ... but I'm not as quick a worker as you Stewart
    Im not talking about grading someone between 1 to 100 but i would have thought 15/20 seconds of dancing with someone and you should know if its their first time etc

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38
    Im not talking about grading someone between 1 to 100 but i would have thought 15/20 seconds of dancing with someone and you should know if its their first time etc
    I prefer my interpretation

"Grading someone" - interesting idea. Turning it on its head (today's favourite phrase) I did on a couple of occassions think of handing out feed-back and comment cards.

The poster formerly known as ....

P.S. If there's an advanced class in "mucking about" then I'd definitely be interested
    I can imagine! You, Marc and Dave Hancock could run it.

Quote Originally Posted by Feelingpink

Heather,
    xx

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Feelingpink

Put me down for that workshop!

That's if i pass my 15sec audition with Stewart38 of course!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Now THAT'S one I feel I could contribute to...

*resolves to practise, practise practise so can appear to be good for 15 sec*

I rather like Minnie's idea. I see it as a bit like having a private lesson for a few couples but on a larger scale.

I have had the odd private lesson for 1, 2 and 3 couples. Where other couples were involved, for what was being taught, I felt we were of a similar standard, which meant we were able to get maximum benefit from the lesson, as I feel there can be more feedback/help/co-operation with the other couples, and learn from points made to the other dancers as well as points made to oneself.

The invitation thing would always upset some people - same as hearing about a party someone is having and wondereing why you weren't invited. Personally, I don't normally have a problem with this - there is usually a valid reason.

M

Minnie, why not just stick to your ideas and go for it.
    Organise it the way you want to organise it.
    Invite whoever you want to invite.
    Have the teachers you want to have.
    Live with the decision.

There are many opinions on this Forum some of which are valuable but we all know that you are never going to please all of the people all of the time.

Just go for it and we will find out how it went either from the inside or the outside.

(good luck!!!)

p.s. camping in the North of England in February will keep the cost and the numbers down!

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by CeeCee
    p.s. camping in the North of England in February will keep the cost and the numbers down!
    Hmmm - not too far for both us Midlands folk and all those lovely Scots dancers . I'd be up for that.
    Love dance, will travel

Thank you everyone for your input (including PMs) - now I have to put my ideas on paper and try and cost it.

Also, I need to make sure I will not be upsetting local organisers - I have always had a good relationship with MJ organisers and certainly don't want to jeopardise that.

--ooOoo--

I noticed that at the the beginning of the Southport booklet last week there was a plea that dancers should attend workshops at an appropriate level in order to be fair to themselves and to other class participants. I assumed that perhaps there had been complaints about beginners attempting classes that were much too hard for them. Did it make any perceptible difference? - I didn't attend any of the advanced classes so I don't know.

Oooh, I seem to have gone into a lunchbreak posting frenzy…

Minnie, I totally agree with CeeCee. This is your dream – organise it exactly the way you want. It's not a public weekender - why shouldn't it be organised as if it were a private party? There will be more than enough people to give you and the whole event all the support you need.

I've voted on the poll, but should explain … the only reason I would choose a Sat/Sun option, rather than long weekender, is difficulties getting off work. In an ideal world, of course, a whole week's event would be more like it! But, having said that, a Friday night start would be great.

Also, to keep costs down, I would be happy with no teachers at all. I think you can learn sooo much from watching experienced dancers and dancing with them. Pure unadulterated freestyle for a whole weekend would be wonderful.

But – another but – if there were to be teachers, I'd go for tango, WCS and definitely styling classes.

Or - actually the more I think about this, the more silly it seems or, at least, unfair on the teachers! - but idealistically ... If there were enough (charitable!) teachers there anyway, no formal workshops but 30-min slots during the day when you could book up a private or semi-private lesson with the teacher of your choice (room/time allowing). I've never been able to justify the money for private lessons, so a chance to have a perhaps-not-too-expensive 30 minutes with Amir, David & Lily, or Jordan & Tatiana would be heaven!

Rachel

Thread Information