Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: asking for a “double trouble” dance

asking for a “double trouble” dance

This past weekend, I was introduced to the pleasures of “double trouble” dancing at Southport, having taken a class taught by Bill Foreman. I have been practising at venues ever since, although at this point, I can freestyle only the most basic moves.

Asking women for a “double trouble” dance is certainly more difficult, and can be logistically challenging, especially if you ask them separately. Thus far, the approach I have been usually taking is to find two available women who are chatting or appear to be friends, and then have a brief discussion with them about it, explaining what “double trouble” is.

I am finding this approach seems to work reasonably well, although it forces me to wait until conditions are right (noise level not too high, dance floor not too crowded, transition between tracks not taking place, etc.).

I would be curious to know what approaches others have taken in requesting a “double trouble” dance; or alternatively, how they have been approached. Also, I’m finding that this style of dance seems to be particularly appealing to women. And, I’m curious as to why. Is it because of the novelty?

Re: asking for a “double trouble” dance

Quote Originally Posted by New_to_London
    This past weekend, I was introduced to the pleasures of “double trouble” dancing at Southport, having taken a class taught by Bill Foreman. I have been practising at venues ever since, although at this point, I can freestyle only the most basic moves.

Asking women for a “double trouble” dance is certainly more difficult, and can be logistically challenging, especially if you ask them separately. Thus far, the approach I have been usually taking is to find two available women who are chatting or appear to be friends, and then have a brief discussion with them about it, explaining what “double trouble” is.

I am finding this approach seems to work reasonably well, although it forces me to wait until conditions are right (noise level not too high, dance floor not too crowded, transition between tracks not taking place, etc.).

I would be curious to know what approaches others have taken in requesting a “double trouble” dance; or alternatively, how they have been approached. Also, I’m finding that this style of dance seems to be particularly appealing to women. And, I’m curious as to why. Is it because of the novelty?
    I sometimes lead doubles, and have found now I'm fairly confident in what I can do that I ask in the same way as for any other dance. If it's two women I know who are standing together for example I might just put out both hands, rather than one, and ask. If they're not used to doing doubles they may look at me a bit funny, but I'll just say something like - just follow where you think you're going, and don't worry about it and keep in close! I've even done this at Camber with two women I didn't know, as there were loads of women standing around at the time, and they looked like they were enjoying the music. I'm sure they probably thought I was completely mad (it's unusual enough for a guy to do this I guess, let alone a girl), but they seemed to quite enjoy themselves. If there are particular pairs of girls that I know like doing doubles I'll sometimes ask one, and then chase about to find the other. Actually as often as not recently the girls have asked me, which is flattering.

As to why women like it, I think it is the novelty - that's why I like following it. I like leading it for the challenge

It's fairly easy to pick up new moves when you've got the hang of doing different things with both hands. I tend to ask the guys that I know do doubles for moves, as I've really only done a couple of classes. And having followed it, I guess I'm lucky, as I can translate some of the moves I know from following to leading. You could also ask the girls you're dancing with if they know any moves.

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

for me, i tend to try and find two people around my height (as i am short) who have either done it before or are good followers! I also have a tendancy to grab one by the hand and make a beeline to the next, follower number 1 in tow!

Smile Re: asking for a “double trouble” dance

I believe I might have the pleasure of a dance with you in the near future !

I sometimes ask if either of a pair of ladies would like to dance. Sometimes they both say yes at the same time - otherwise I'm too out of practice to actually ask two to dance at the same time!

Sean

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rockstep
    I believe I might have the pleasure of a dance with you in the near future !
    if you can follow double trouble i think you could be on

Was I the only person who thought that NTL would be asking for non-verbal ways to ask for a double-trouble dance?
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

TiggsTours

From a woman's perspective, I really enjoy doing double trouble, and don't get to do it enough, its really great fun having to react not only to the person leading, but also another follower at the same time. But I would say that I would hate being asked to dance by someone I don't know, with someone else I don't know, so I'd say make sure you either know both the ladies (they don't have to know each other in that case) or that they both know each other (in which case, they don't have to know you), so yes, looking for two friends chatting on the side (not usually too difficult) is always a good idea.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Asking women for a “double trouble” dance is certainly more difficult, and can be logistically challenging,
    nothing wrong with approaching a woman and saying 'if you've got a friend who's up for it, do you fancy a threesome?'

is there ?

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TiggsTours
    I would hate being asked to dance by someone I don't know, with someone else I don't know, so I'd say make sure you either know both the ladies (they don't have to know each other in that case) or that they both know each other (in which case, they don't have to know you), so yes, looking for two friends chatting on the side (not usually too difficult) is always a good idea.
    I asked a stranger to dance at Ashton's a few weeks ago - and at exactly the same time - another girl asked him too!
    So - he asked us to do double-trouble with him - and it was a complete disaster!

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi
    Was I the only person who thought that NTL would be asking for non-verbal ways to ask for a double-trouble dance?
    The thought of making such a request non-verbally has crossed my mind. It might be possible, if both women have done doubles before. Once I get better at it, I will certainly try a few non-verbal approaches, and see what happens. :-)

At this point, I’m finding that typically at least one (if not both) of the women I approach have never seen doubles, so they are unsure how to react. I usually have to deal with objections, the most common one being that they don’t know how to dance “double trouble,” as they haven’t had such a class.

Also, if I don’t lay down a clear enough foundation verbally, it can lead to confusion and embarrassing moments. On at least two occasions, one of the women thought that my holding out two hands was the result of your typical dance request contention, and she was wanting to “bow out” in order to enable the other woman to dance with me.

All this, of course, gets sorted out once the dance starts. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe
    nothing wrong with approaching a woman and saying 'if you've got a friend who's up for it, do you fancy a threesome?'
    Quote Originally Posted by Northants Girly
    I asked a stranger to dance at Ashton's a few weeks ago - and at exactly the same time - another girl asked him too!
    So - he asked us to do double-trouble with him - and it was a complete disaster!
    The parallels and analogies are quite intriguing indeed. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by drathzel
    if you can follow double trouble i think you could be on
    Can I play too?

I did the double trouble at Southport as well and thought it was 10 times better the previous effort with the guy spending 50% of his time saying the fix couples were all sados

I tend to ask people I know. I dont know many moves but i enjoy it. It clealry helps if at least one of your partners has done a it a few times before

you need more space and tend to 'do it' at end of evening, or when there is space

Also, I’m finding that this style of dance seems to be particularly appealing to women. And, I’m curious as to why. Is it because of the novelty?
    Double Trouble appeals to me because it is fun and a challenge, especially if you DT with someone you have never danced with before, who puts in new moves but does it so well that you follow.

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38

I tend to ask people I know. I dont know many moves but i enjoy it. It clealry helps if at least one of your partners has done a it a few times before

you need more space and tend to 'do it' at end of evening, or when there is space
    I think it also helps if its a track with a reasonable beat, not too fast, or it can get very confusing.

TiggsTours

IAlso, I’m finding that this style of dance seems to be particularly appealing to women. And, I’m curious as to why. Is it because of the novelty?
    No, its because of our secret, repressed, lesbian tendancies.

sssssshhhhhhhhh, don't give it all away.

Speak for yourself

I find it's a good way of defusing the "you're wearing the same outfit as me b***h" (grab man who you know to be able to lead DT, grab woman who doesn't look nearly as good as you in that top/dress, well, that will teach me to shop from evil multi-nationals). Pinched this idea from someone on here, sorry forget who, but have used it at least twice already!

If there are too many women then it helps to share sometimes...

And last and most cynical - it's a great way for you *not* to have to dance with someone all to yourself if you'd rather not...

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by LMC
    I find it's a good way of defusing the "you're wearing the same outfit as me b***h" (grab man who you know to be able to lead DT, grab woman who doesn't look nearly as good as you in that top/dress, well, that will teach me to shop from evil multi-nationals). Pinched this idea from someone on here, sorry forget who, but have used it at least twice already!
    Good tip!

Yes, there's nothing like a perfectly matched pair

Thread Information