Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Photos

Photos

Can we please have some agreement and a forum policy on posting photos?

I've just been told that I'm being unreasonable for asking for photos containing me to be removed and also told that I shouldn't have allowed them to be taken in the first place if I didn't want them posted on here.

For a start, I didn't know they were going to be posted and I was not asked if I was happy with this.

For a second, I hate all of them and said at the time they were taken that I hated them and asked for them to be deleted from the camera.

Perhaps I am over-reacting - but I really don't care if "no-one else minds" - I DO.

Thoughts please? - on a general policy rather than this specific incident

Re: Photos

Quote Originally Posted by LMC
    Perhaps I am over-reacting - but I really don't care if "no-one else minds" - I DO.

Thoughts please? - on a general policy rather than this specific incident
    I think one of the professional photographers, e.g. Feelingpink or Danielle, are better placed to comment, but I thought there needed to be some kind of model release form signed before you were allowed to publish a photo for public consumption.

As to your request for them to be removed, totaly agree!

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    I think one of the professional photographers, e.g. Feelingpink or Danielle, are better placed to comment, but I thought there needed to be some kind of model release form signed before you were allowed to publish a photo for public consumption.
    I don't think that's the case for a picture taken in an open place; otherwise candid shots of celebrities and others would instantly disappear from newspapers. Anyway, wasn't there something in the event tickets about who owns the rights to filiming or photographs?

I've just been told that I'm being unreasonable for asking for photos containing me to be removed
    I agree that it's an unreasonable request. unless they're showing your underwear or otherwise 'defamatory'. I suppose a phtotographer that you know might be persuaded to accede to your wishes, but if they choose not to, you'll just have to put up with it.

So I suppose that means send them a PM, but otherwise stop complaining!

(As a general point, why is it almost always the women who object to photos of themselves? Or is that just an old fashioned prejudice in my mind?)
    Last edited by El Salsero Gringo; 22nd-September-2005 at 06:17 AM.

I did send a PM.

And the photos may not be defamatory, but I never look good on film - I just always seem to have a stupid expression on my face - maybe I do, but that doesn't mean I want it recorded for posterity. Which is why I said at the time that I didn't like them. I was angry and upset to see photos of me which I don't like posted for anyone to see.

Anyway, the original question was "can we have a general forum policy on posting photos?".

Anyway, the original question was "can we have a general forum policy on posting photos?".
    I would guess that that would be too hard to "police" or monitor - and I'm not sure I would agree with making this more difficult for people who have taken photos and want to share them which a lot of us appreciate seeing.

It would be such a shame if there were no more photos posted - you've always got the problem of a couple being photographed and about half a dozen other people being in the background - how would you track them all down?

I guess I'm saying that personally I wouldn't want to see any restrictions placed on photo posting. (Being a woman ) I can see your point of view, but I think you've just got to raise yourself above your worries - as you said, probably no-one else is as affected by the photos of yourself as you are. I'd love to know which ones are you, but you're probably not going to tell me.....

Franck's the one to set Forum policies, but if anyone wants to express a preference they might do so here.

What a load of old vanity nonsense!

No one else has complained about looking at pictures of you - well not publicly - so why should you? It's really quite simple, if you don't like looking at the photos of yourself, then don't look at them.

There is nothing rude, embarassing or compromising about these shots.

What the photos show is what we all see when face to face with you, so get over it. It's the face you were born with and the camera never lies.......

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox

No one else has complained about looking at pictures of you - well not publicly - so why should you? It's really quite simple, if you don't like looking at the photos of yourself, then don't look at them.

There is nothing rude, embarassing or compromising about these shots.

What the photos show is what we all see when face to face with you, so get over it. It's the face you were born with and the camera never lies.......
    This isnt about removing an 'individual photo' of a person thats a different story.

This is about removing photos of up to 5 people or more in group shots where one person doesnt like her or him self thats got me angry

Maybe ill cut them out and try again or am i being silly just accept no more photos at weekenders and I have such a lovely digital camera

In general, the subject of a photo is legaly entitled to say what can and can't be done with the photo. The photographer also owns some sort of copyright on his artistic contribution to the work.

I'm sure google can provide a reputable source for this. I can't be bothered...

It's the face you were born with and the camera never lies.......
    What rubbish. Actually Daniel Bedingford looks like Brad Pitt but the evil cabal have engaged in a conspiracy so that every camera lens and mirror distorts his features...

Lyrics from 'James Dean', sort of...
    Could have my teeth flashing a Brad Pitt smile
    Be wearing versace ’cause that’s my style
    Could have my hair cut by the extra mile
    If the lens can’t make it worth my while
    then what’s the point now?

Abso-b****y-lutely.

I said I hated those photos and as it happens, I don't believe I am as fat and ugly in real life as I believe they made me look. Having said at the time they were taken that I didn't like them, posting them for 1500+ people to see is hardly fair. Sharing photos with a few friends is a bit different from posting them on a public internet forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus

As to your request for them to be removed, totaly agree!
    From a legal perspective if the photos are taken of you in a public place you have no rights over them, the photographer can do whatever they like with them!

Personally i wouldn't post photos of people i know without asking them on a public forum.

From a Southport side of things if anyone had asked me at the time not to take photos of them I would have respected their wishes!! But no one did!!
    Must say I'm with SF on this one!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tsh
    In general, the subject of a photo is legaly entitled to say what can and can't be done with the photo. The photographer also owns some sort of copyright on his artistic contribution to the work.

REALLY? Could you provide some more info on this. I'm interested.

Quote Originally Posted by tsh

Franck has covered well what the forum policy is, but if anyone if wondering about copyright outside the forum, in the case of commissioned work, it remains with the photographer (in the UK). If you'd like further clarification, you can look at the web site of the British Institute of Professional Photographers under Copyright.

Quote Originally Posted by Feelingpink
    Franck has covered well what the forum policy is, but if anyone if wondering about copyright outside the forum, in the case of commissioned work, it remains with the photographer (in the UK). If you'd like further clarification, you can look at the web site of the British Institute of Professional Photographers under Copyright.
    What's the law on the publication of photographs of people taken in the street, say? I understood that you had no specific rights in your own image - otherwise news photography would become impossible.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle
    From a legal perspective if the photos are taken of you in a public place you have no rights over them, the photographer can do whatever they like with them!
    Except exploit them for commercial gain, when you have to at least been shown to have attempted to gain their permission (interestingly in France you do not have any right to publish without permission at all) BTW the issue of public places would take a lot of testing in court.

Anyway it's nonsense to fret about the legality issue for shots like these. But I think somebody should be allowed to ask for an image to be removed - it's just curteous

It has also been shown in law that you can Libel somebody in a photograph

ESG - wrt to candid shots of people you don't know, where you are publishing for money, this is kind of covered by the "make a reasonale attempt to contact them" if you have no idea who they are, you can't really do much about it.
    Last edited by clevedonboy; 22nd-September-2005 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    What's the law on the publication of photographs of people taken in the street, say? I understood that you had no specific rights in your own image - otherwise news photography would become impossible.
    I suggest you look at Danielle's post, above, which covers your query.

Quote Originally Posted by Feelingpink
    I suggest you look at Danielle's post, above, which covers your query.
    Thanks. I missed that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clevedonboy
    Except exploit them for commercial gain, when you have to at least been shown to have attempted to gain their permission
    Thanks also to you - do you have some source material for this? (by PM if this is a boring topic....)

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    Do you have some source material for this? (by PM if this is a boring topic....)
    This site has a relatively clear explanation.

I'm sure the professional photographers here to know the law, but it doesn't seem totally clear-cut to me. The same website says:
    From www.ephotozine.com:
    If you intend operating as a wedding and portrait photographer, the conditions of copyright are slightly different. As the 'author' of the photographs you still retain full copyright on them, but you are also limited by the rights of privacy of the client.
    What this basically means is you cannot offer those pictures for sale, publication, exhibition or anything else for that matter without the consent of the people depicted in them. This even extends to the display of some of your best pictures in a shop window to try and attract more work - before doing this, you must first obtain the permission - ideally in writing - from your client.
    Where exactly is the dividing line where you are limited by "rights of privacy"?

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin
    ...I'm sure the professional photographers here to know the law, but it doesn't seem totally clear-cut to me. ... Where exactly is the dividing line where you are limited by "rights of privacy"?
    The 1988 copyright act applies to all UK photographers, but IN PRACTICE, wedding and portrait photographers will have a model release form signed to cover specific usages such as web sites, advertising and competitions. This is partly belt and braces and partly because much of our business comes from word of mouth recommendations and we want to ensure that all of our clients are entirely happy with our usage of the images.

Thread Information