Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Luton Tuesdays

Luton Tuesdays

Has anyone ever been to Luton before (ceroc) . If so any good ?

Re: Luton Tuesdays

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38
    Good enough. Plenty of space, air conditioned, and a reasonable class.

Sean

very nice venue some nice dancers

one major problem..............

No mints !!

very nice venue some nice dancers

one major problem..............

No mints !!

of course you can't buy mints anywhere..... and i bet you didnt pass tesco or a garage or a little corner shop and even attempt to see if they sold the sacred things.

I enjoyed Luton, good venue didnt rate the music much tho
    all in all it was a good night.

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

Been to some freestyles there and yes - agree with whats been said - worth a trip

Quote Originally Posted by tsh
    Good enough. Plenty of space, air conditioned, and a reasonable class.
    The A/C really works, and it's now non-smoking to boot. The music does vary, but usually very acceptable. Numbers have not been too great of late, which does make for elbow room on the floor - a pleasant change after the likes of Chesham on Fridays! It's also a purpose-built function room which gives it a distinct edge over the school hall venues IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Allez-Cat
    The A/C really works, and it's now non-smoking to boot. The music does vary, but usually very acceptable. Numbers have not been too great of late, which does make for elbow room on the floor - a pleasant change after the likes of Chesham on Fridays! It's also a purpose-built function room which gives it a distinct edge over the school hall venues IMHO.
    yes bonus all round ... especially liked the fact that in the intermediate class they didnt make the women 'queue' , noticed it at Finchley last night, they get the women to stand individually inbetween other couples which means you get more of a dance and only really miss out on one move rather than 2 or 3. They move one lady on all the time. Think they should implement that at Chesham and Berko. So Bonus points from me

Quote Originally Posted by wittybird
    So Bonus points from me
    Have a look at other comments on this "sprinkle" system (sorry - it's late and I'm too idle to go looking for it!), but some folk don't like it. I think it works well where there's a big surplus which, regrettably, seems to happen at Luton more often than not. How do we get the boys in?

some folk don't like it. I think it works well where there's a big surplus which, regrettably, seems to happen at Luton more often than not. How do we get the boys in?[/QUOTE]

Goodness knows I tell everyone I speak that they should come along, I love it and am completely addicted. Advertise free beer/football/p0rn maybe?
    Just a thought...

Tell you what tho there's a guy who has been going to Chesham , Berko and I saw him at Luton tonite, only been going a few weeks and loves it, hes very shy and lacks confidence but I always make a point of asking him to dance. The reason being we need all the men we can get and also he always looks like hes having such a great time he is great fun to dance with! I hope that he sticks with it, and although i am a beginner myself i really want to encourage people like him.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Have a look at other comments on this "sprinkle" system
    I quite like it - but I think you need to get people used to it at a venue, so if you do it, you should do it all the time, or at least very frequently.

It's been operating at Finchley for a few weeks now I think, and it really makes a difference. - no waiting for a minute for 10 women to "move up the first, blah". One bonus of this is that you can fit more routine-practices in the space of a single track.

Have a look at other comments on this "sprinkle" system ... I think it works well where there's a big surplus ...
    At JJ's in Glasgow last night it was up to 16 women on, 16 women off. I don't think there would have been enough room to sprinkle 16 extra half-couples amongst the actual couples.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by wittybird
    of course you can't buy mints anywhere..... and i bet you didnt pass tesco or a garage or a little corner shop and even attempt to see if they sold the sacred things.

I enjoyed Luton, good venue didnt rate the music much tho
    all in all it was a good night.
    Now I did like the music although some long breaks by the DJ with stop start at the end

With extra women i never understand that when there is 8 extra in Beginners they move 4 on at a time, which they did , thats silly

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi
    At JJ's in Glasgow last night it was up to 16 women on, 16 women off. I don't think there would have been enough room to sprinkle 16 extra half-couples amongst the actual couples.
    Well, why not? It's the same amount of people dancing / waiting, no matter how you arrange them, surely?

And how long does it take to move 16 women on? Maybe a minute? That's a minute you could be learning rather than counting girls walking past you.
    Although I guess it gives you the chance to scope out the talent...

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    Well, why not? It's the same amount of people dancing / waiting, no matter how you arrange them, surely?
    Not really, if you have 16 more people scattered amongst those dancing, they cause more disruption than 16 standing "out of the way" at the side of the dancefloor.

I think the scatter thing only works well if you are in a circle.
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerbabe
    Not really, if you have 16 more people scattered amongst those dancing, they cause more disruption than 16 standing "out of the way" at the side of the dancefloor.
    Probably at first - but that's why you need to persist with it for a few weeks. People (me included) can be slow on the uptake.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerbabe
    I think the scatter thing only works well if you are in a circle.
    It works more naturally in a circle, certainly - that's the way most salsa classes do it. But it can work in rows. Honest.

I approve of the 'scatter' technique because it means you only have to count to 1 - yes, it takes a bit of getting used to, but it makes moving on much quicker - more teaching/dancing time.

We're in a dance class, therefore we are all reasonably physically fit - certainly fit enough to walk at more than a snail's pace. There is nothing more frustrating than dawdling behind a long line of women who trail along as if they are at a b****y funeral wake - MOVE!!! MOVE!!! MOVE!!! (OK, there are more frustrating things, I just don't need to rant about them right now)..

Probably at first - but that's why you need to persist with it for a few weeks. People (me included) can be slow on the uptake.

It works more naturally in a circle, certainly - that's the way most salsa classes do it. But it can work in rows. Honest.

It can work if no one joins or leaves during the class and women are observant ie they dont all crowd into the first row. Unfortunately none of that happens. Moving on is still best on smaller numbers (under 15 ?)

Of course as a man i sometime joined the womens queue to add to confusion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NewKid
    We're in a dance class, therefore we are all reasonably physically fit - certainly fit enough to walk at more than a snail's pace. There is nothing more frustrating than dawdling behind a long line of women who trail along as if they are at a b****y funeral wake - MOVE!!! MOVE!!! MOVE!!!
    It's not much fun for the men either - I usually count and stick out my hand to stop the relevant lady (OK, that part is fun). And the larger the numbers, the more time the teacher has to spend saying "anybody missing a partner?" - which means he/she has less time to actuallly teach.

Anything that makes class management smoother must be a Good Thing.

The sprinkle thing also means that even if you're not dancing, you're usually in between two couples who are dancing - so hopefully you can see what they're doing better, rather than being stuck away in the Leftovers Row.

The sprinkle thing also means that even if you're not dancing, you're usually in between two couples who are dancing - so hopefully you can see what they're doing better, rather than being stuck away in the Leftovers Row.

4 new women turn up two men leave then what ?

By its natures its too rigid

I think it works in Aussie land as if there are less then 30 people it could work well.

It can work if no one joins or leaves during the class and women are observant ie they dont all crowd into the first row. Unfortunately none of that happens.
    That's why DJ and I *both* said it takes a bit of getting used to. If managed properly (i.e teacher tells women to space themselves out in *all* rows) it works extremely well.

Moving on is still best on smaller numbers (under 15 ?)
    Less than 4 maybe. Any more than that, scatter is better. DEFINITELY if you're moving on more women than the number of men standing in the first row - that's happened a few times.

4 new women turn up two men leave then what ?

By its natures its too rigid
    Again, if the teacher manages it properly and most people have got a grip on the system, then no problem - the new arrivals just make sure they don't all go in the same row - and women whose partners leave just scatter as well.

You're the one that appears rigid to me by refusing to accept the possibility that this system can, if properly managed, be far quicker and work far better than the time-consuming and boring dawdling along method. I've never been in a venue where the scatter method has caused a problem to anyone - even if *not* usually used. Lou has occasionally even tried it at Berko and people seem to catch on fairly quickly.
    Last edited by LMC; 31st-August-2005 at 11:16 AM. Reason: didn't want to double post

Thread Information