Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weekenders. What if ....?

Versailles (yeah, in the chateau itself !)

Weekenders. What if ....?

Any constructive critisism / suggestions are bound to get lost in the good/bad thread - so I thought I'd start a new one.

Workshops

What if... workshops were only 30 minutes long instead of 50 ??? (Intermediate classes are only ever 30 minutes long after all). This way the same workshop could be repeated right away (with a five-minute break for the teacher and demo). There would be twice the amount of space there is now and everyone who wanted to attend could (theoretically anyway). And indeed if you watched the first one you'd see if you wanted to do it or not and move away to do one elsewhere in plenty of time. And, taking it further, the first one could have the same number of men to women so you would only have to move one on to change partners.

(Based on a crowded workshop with Franck (fab but got an elbow right in my back) and Viktor's workshop which I just sat out cos it was mobbed.)

Bar facilities / staff

What if... the organisers paid the venue for a couple of extra members of staff to clear up empty glasses glasses and check the loos ?? Surely it wouldn't cost much.

(Based on glasses being broken on the dance floor, spilling a drink down my (white!) skirt cos the table I was passing was covered with glasses, slooooow service and grotty, disgusting loos.)

Taxi dancers

What if... the organisers provided taxi dancers ?? Good, friendly approachable dancers who could ask people to dance and who wouldn't say no if you asked them.

(Based on sitting out for what seemed like an eternity and then plucking up the courage to ask people I didn't know, only to be given a knock back - at least half a dozen times on Sunday night !!! They could get a discount or maybe just a buzz and some glory for volunteering - they could even get a big cheer / t-shirt /can of Red Bull at the cabaret event )

Secret shoppers

What if.. a few people walked (danced!!) around being "secret shoppers"?? (Hotels, shops and airlines do this to see how things really are for their customers.) They could complete a questionnaire on facilities, music, dance-floor quality etc and get informal feedback from people. Or even if they weren't anonymous, people could complain and maybe things would improve in the future - or maybe even get sorted on the spot.

(Based on.. erm... it just seems like a good idea)

Customer Care Survey

What if... there was a Customer Care Survey in the wee pack ??? All these threads are fine and dandy but not everyone is on the forum and some of us talk louder than others

(Based on... doesn't everyone (who cares about their customers) in the world do this ?????)

And whilst "quality is free", I understand that some costs could be involved here. I clearly have no idea how much organisers actually make at these events but with a gross turnover in excess of £100,000 per event I can't believe another couple of hundred quid is impossible to budget for.

Wxxx

Re: Weekenders. What if ....?

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy
    Any constructive critisism / suggestions are bound to get lost in the good/bad thread - so I thought I'd start a new one.

Workshops

What if... workshops were only 30 minutes long instead of 50 ??? (Intermediate classes are only ever 30 minutes long after all).
    << snip >>
    I debated exactly this point with Les the Wise. I think the Southport classes were one hour 15 minutes - which is nice in a way because you can pass on more detail and practice more than in 30 minutes - but I would like 15 to 30 minutes between the classes playing "appropriate" music: waltz / cha cha / hip hop etc to give opportunity to consolidate the class

Pretty much yes to all the stuff on soliciting feedback except ..
    And whilst "quality is free", I understand that some costs could be involved here. I clearly have no idea how much organisers actually make at these events but with a gross turnover in excess of £100,000 per event I can't believe another couple of hundred quid is impossible to budget for.

Wxxx
    I was taught that quality is NOT free but you have to balance the cost of quality (COQ) against the cost of non-conformance (CNC).

Using Wendy's examples, I only pay enough staff to clear the tables and clean the loos irregularly (COQ). The place becomes unpleasant and scummy. I make more profit in the short term but word gets around about these downers and less people go (CNC)

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Long
    I debated exactly this point with Les the Wise. I think the Southport classes were one hour 15 minutes - which is nice in a way because you can pass on more detail and practice more than in 30 minutes - but I would like 15 to 30 minutes between the classes playing "appropriate" music: waltz / cha cha / hip hop etc to give opportunity to consolidate the class

Clive
    I understand the Southport classes were one hour, allowing a further 15 minutes for practice, overruns, changing venues, getting a drink, etc....and this worked well.

Quote Originally Posted by Yogi_Bear
    I understand the Southport classes were one hour, allowing a further 15 minutes for practice, overruns, changing venues, getting a drink, etc....and this worked well.
    You are right - earlier I had written that the 15 minute gap between lessons that occurred at Southport was good for all the reasons you stated.

I'm writing lots of contradictory rubbish at the moment - so I'm going into Forum Detox (how long will it last?)

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Long
    I'm writing lots of contradictory rubbish at the moment - so I'm going into Forum Detox (how long will it last?)

Clive
    Clive have you started yet?

Clive?.....

Are you there?....

Can you hear me Mr Schlong?.......

Registered User Purple Sparkler's Avatar

What if...

...There was a yoga or stretching class at the beginning of the day? Or a workshop on stretching exercises so that dancers knew how to warm up before a hard day's night, and thus could keep going longer and avoid injuries?

...Popular workshops could be pre-booked on, and run an appropriate number of times according to how many people wanted to do them, so that class sizes could be a bit smaller and people could get more from them? (making sure that they ran simultaneously with other pre-book workshops, so if you wanted to you could make sure you got to do all of them).

...Notes from each lesson were freely available in flyer form for people to take away- as in, 'these are the moves you learned, these are a few style pointers'.

...A weekender could get sponsored by Berocca or Red Bull, thus allowing for lots of it to be available for free?

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Sparkler
    What if...

...Popular workshops could be pre-booked on, and run an appropriate number of times according to how many people wanted to do them, so that class sizes could be a bit smaller and people could get more from them? (making sure that they ran simultaneously with other pre-book workshops, so if you wanted to you could make sure you got to do all of them).
    In fact all your suggestions make sense to me.

Wxxx

...Notes from each lesson were freely available in flyer form for people to take away- as in, 'these are the moves you learned, these are a few style pointers'.
    That would be really useful -some do it already, eg Nigel and Nina, Howard and Nicola - but if everyone did it would hit the sales of the DVD....

The workshops I attended were too busy at Southport IMO. With fewer people / more space / more time then the above would be superb.

Wxxx

That would be really useful -some do it already, eg Nigel and Nina, Howard and Nicola - but if everyone did it would hit the sales of the DVD....
    I don't think so- people don't just buy the DVDs for class notes- and it wouldn't have to detail how to do the moves- people who wanted to write the how-to down would have done that anyway, and not bought the DVD. So I don't think it would hit sales, you know.

...There was a yoga or stretching class at the beginning of the day? Or a workshop on stretching exercises so that dancers knew how to warm up before a hard day's night, and thus could keep going longer and avoid injuries?
    My idea I think.

I was lucky enough to be introduced to Marianne (John's wife) and suggested this to her. Apparently they tried doing an aerobics/stretch class on the Friday night at one Southport, but it wasn't well attended. Even though I would love the idea of a first thing in the morning stretch/yoga class every day, I have to admit that with the best will in the world, the extra hour's sleep would probably appear more attractive when it came to it

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by LMC
    My idea I think.

I was lucky enough to be introduced to Marianne (John's wife) and suggested this to her. Apparently they tried doing an aerobics/stretch class on the Friday night at one Southport, but it wasn't well attended. Even though I would love the idea of a first thing in the morning stretch/yoga class every day, I have to admit that with the best will in the world, the extra hour's sleep would probably appear more attractive when it came to it
    They used to do them quite often at Camber (haven't been for years, so don't know if they still do) and they used to be really popular.

I think ~60 mins is a sensible length for a weekender class. After all, part of the point is to teach things that don't get covered in normal MJ classes as (so the excuse goes) there's not enough time.

If the classes are too busy, the obvious solution is to have more classes, or fewer dancers. The organisers could also offer alternative activities whilst classes are on (eg, yet more freestyle) to distract those who already know everything.

What if... the organisers provided taxi dancers ?? Good, friendly approachable dancers who could ask people to dance and who wouldn't say no if you asked them.
    I find that there are plenty of good, friendly and approachable dancers at weekenders.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    I think ~60 mins is a sensible length for a weekender class. After all, part of the point is to teach things that don't get covered in normal MJ classes as (so the excuse goes) there's not enough time.

If the classes are too busy, the obvious solution is to have more classes, or fewer dancers. The organisers could also offer alternative activities whilst classes are on (eg, yet more freestyle) to distract those who already know everything.
    From what I have seen, a fair bit of time is lost in the "men/women on bit" when dealing with such big numbers and lack of space......I am sure a shorter class could be almost as productive...and if we learned half the stuff that would be more than learning nothing cos you are sitting it out or can't see the teacher....(I had to leave the women-only class cos I simply couldn't see the teacher !)...and I would be amazed if men remembered all the moves/points taught in an hour-long class - diving for cover

I find that there are plenty of good, friendly and approachable dancers at weekenders.
    I wonder if men turn women down more than the other way round.... I expect so !!! And interesting that men were standing up for men dancers in another thread. I expect they have rarely danced with them !!! To have six or so knock backs on Sunday night alone seems like a lot to me and I was rarely asked to dance by people I didn't already know. I find this astounding since we have all come through the ranks at CEROC /equivalent I expect, where the culture is not at all like this. I was a Taxi dancer for over 4 years and have danced with some challenging chaps to say the least. I have never turned down anyone I don't know as far as I can recall. Occasionally if I don't like a track (sorry Sheepman - turned you down for All that Jazz and never got you for a dance afterwards ) I'll say no but I do my best to catch them later and only do this with people I know and they'll know it's a valid reason so their confidence won't be knocked. The people who turned me down on Sunday said things like "I'm going home" and then they never or "I'll dance with so-and-so and get back to you" and they never (having kissed me I may add so they knew who I was and could see where I was later on )... "I'm having a drink right now" and "I'm sitting this one out".. All valid reasons but when they don't get back to you it hurts !!!! If they just wore "don't ask me I'll ask you" t shirts - I'd know not to ask !!!!

Anyway.. there has been a thread on this apparently so I won't go on ....

ALL dancers should be friendly and approachable IMO... How awful can one dance be that it's worth knocking someone's coinfidence and potentially ruining someone's night ??????

Wxxx

PS Maybe next time I get a knock-back I'll just go for the knee caps.. or a short sharp Glasgow kiss...be afraid.. be very afraid...

Quote Originally Posted by LMC
    My idea I think.
    It was not! I'm sure it was me suggesting it in an e-mail to you.
    *is trying not to be negative*

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

It was not! I'm sure it was me suggesting it in an e-mail to you.
    *is trying not to be negative*
    If you two want to settle this with a mud-wrestling match, I'd be happy to referee.

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    If you two want to settle this with a mud-wrestling match, I'd be happy to referee.
    Hey !! What if.... we had mud-wrestling matches at weekenders ???? When there are extra women they could put on a male one and, when extra men, a female one ???? Or extra men a male one etc..as I endeavour to be PC at all times....

Wxxx

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    Unfortunately the mud wrestling pit is currently occupied with KatieR and I tussling over RKs recliner in the Singletons Sofa. Once we have established whose turn it is the pit will be all yours.

We apologise for any inconvinence this may cause. Thank you.

I would be amazed if men remembered all the moves/points taught in an hour-long class
    Of course not. Nor do we remember everything taught in a 30-mins class.

Of course not. Nor do we remember everything taught in a 30-mins class.
    Yeah.. didn't want to be that harsh !!!

Wxxx

Thread Information