View Poll Results: What sort of injuies have you picked up/made worse while dancing?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Head

12 16.44%
  • Neck

23 31.51%
  • Back

35 47.95%
  • Shoulder

43 58.90%
  • Arm

19 26.03%
  • Wrist / hand

31 42.47%
  • Groin

2 2.74%
  • Leg

24 32.88%
  • Foot

31 42.47%
  • Other (please elaborate)

17 23.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Injuries

Re: Injuries

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
    Yes smarty pants, but I didn't injure ALL of my leg, just the knee. Therefore I ticked other, just to be sure.
    Did the same thing - note to interested parties - dont dance on concrete or cobbles - knees dont like it

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon
    I kicked Irenes big toe and took the nail right off . there was lots of blood, and she was in lots of pain.....
    Lots of sympathy to Irene

Quote Originally Posted by Donna
    Somebody twisted my arm whilst turning me a few months ago and it hasn't been right since. I seem to suffer with the pain more now. It clicks a lot too! Anyone got the same problem?
    Had my shoulder wrenched a few years back - didn't do anything about it - its now quite weak, the neck muscle on that side shortened and I get tension headaches from it - so go get yours checked out

Massage helps it for a while - any excuse

Quote Originally Posted by Kev F
    ...... caught my middle finger in her riding high thong.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev F
    I don't suspect there will be much sympathy for my sprained middle finger???

Jenni

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni
    Did the same thing - note to interested parties - dont dance on concrete or cobbles - knees dont like it

I used to do the Latin festival thing in the summer at the South Bank, they had a few hours of freestyle dancing to music - I thought "Great! Free salsa!". But the day afterwards my knees and back very much knew about it. There's a reason why us old people like sprung dance floors...

Had my shoulder wrenched a few years back - didn't do anything about it - its now quite weak, the neck muscle on that side shortened and I get tension headaches from it - so go get yours checked out
    Yet again, - shoulder injuries seem to be the most common on the poll, and I've had my share. And there's a reason why us old people rail against yankers; we've had or seen too many injuries caused by this sort of thing.

Having said that, dancing has definitely been good for my back (admittedly I don't do drops / aerials / etc.), and of course for my general fitness. But it's a sport as much as a social hobby, and you should treat it as such with stretches, correct gear, etc.
    [/sermon]

It's almost exclusively shoulder for me, in particular my left shoulder.

Generally due to follows, some of who should know better, leaning back when stepping back.

[ ... it's my little pet hate] .... I truly wish that balance got more of a mention class and, in particular, not relying on partner for it!

[If I get a partner who does pull alot, and change to doing lots of right to right moves ... give my left shoulder a break!

Donna

Massage helps it for a while - any excuse :blush
    :

I did go and get it checked out by my doctor once a few weeks back. She got me to move it in a few different ways which indicated that I pulled a muscle in my arm. I took a couple of weeks off which nearly KILLED me. It seems to become more painful in the cold and it's extremely clicky. I'm actually starting to exercise it now to see if building a bit of muscle around might help. Hope I'm not starting to get arthritis in it otherwise my dancing days will be over shortly. Gee, I'm only 23 too!!! Not fair is it! Anywayz, you're right..I should go back and ask if possible I can have physio.

Funny you mentioned massage though. The guy who is responsible for this injury is a masseur, and so I got him to massage it for me after.

Thanks for advice.

I did go and get it checked out by my doctor once a few weeks back. She got me to move it in a few different ways which indicated that I pulled a muscle in my arm. I took a couple of weeks off which nearly KILLED me. It seems to become more painful in the cold and it's extremely clicky. I'm actually starting to exercise it now to see if building a bit of muscle around might help. Hope I'm not starting to get arthritis in it otherwise my dancing days will be over shortly. Gee, I'm only 23 too!!! Not fair is it! Anywayz, you're right..I should go back and ask if possible I can have physio.
    In my experience, GPs aren't exactly experts in this kind of thing (they can't be experts in every area) - a referal to physio can't do any harm.

If I had to guess, I'd suspect a rotator cuff problem; you can find exercises for this on the 'net (L-flys etc) and I found they helped me. But try to get proper advice first!

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin
    In my experience, GPs aren't exactly experts in this kind of thing (they can't be experts in every area) - a referal to physio can't do any harm.

If I had to guess, I'd suspect a rotator cuff problem; you can find exercises for this on the 'net (L-flys etc) and I found they helped me. But try to get proper advice first!
    Hmmm thanks Dave. Have some rep.

A few years back I had awful pain in my knees after dancing. They used to stiffen up really badly - if I was driving back from a venue I sometimes had to stop and get out to stretch my legs. I was really worried that it would stop me dancing as I was convinced that it was a legacy of my time in the Army. I went to my doctor, told him of the problem and explained that it was probably due to all the macho stuff I'd done - jumping out of aeroplanes, rushing about with huge weights on my back etc etc. The doctor listened patiently, examined my knees and gleefully declared that I had the finest pair of housemaid's knees that he'd ever seen! He told me to rest for 3 weeks and it would be fine. His advice didn't make the blindest bit of difference to anything other than my ego.

I went to a sports physio who listened to the same tale, examined me and declared that it was referred pain from my lower back. She gave me 3 sets of exercises to do, told me to sort out the ergonomics of my desk and to sit properly. I went back 2 weeks later for a check up and that was it. I haven't had a twinge from my knees since. Best £56 I've spent in a long time! I'd strongly recommend finding a good sports physio.

I'm not dancing tonight as I have a really sore wrist. Think I must have overdone the dancing over the last few days... Fortunately I won't be missing much over the next week or so.

If it doesn't get better soon, I'm going to see a doctor or physio with it.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi
    I'm not dancing tonight as I have a really sore wrist. Think I must have overdone the dancing over the last few days...
    Thats your excuse and your sticking to it

Jenni

Thats your excuse and your sticking to it

Its OK your secret's safe with me

Jenni

Its OK your secret's safe with me
    Great, but please don't mention the strapping I'm using on it...

Great, but please don't mention the strapping I'm using on it...

Somebody twisted my arm whilst turning me a few months ago and it hasn't been right since. I seem to suffer with the pain more now. It clicks a lot too! Anyone got the same problem?
    Not exactly the same, but I have a recurring shoulder injury. I hurt it a few times playing badminton, through over-stretching to take high shots. It was very painful at the time and took weeks to heal, then I did exactly the same thign again and weakened it further a month or so down the line. Ever since then, although it doesn't bother me normally, it can flare up after either a lot of dancing or dancing with yankers.

Some people were quite surprised last Tuesday when I left the beginners' class halfway through, complaining of a sore shoulder, but went on to do intermediates and freestyle afterwards. The reason? We were doing the pretzel in beginners, and after several ladies backleading themselves through the pretzel and yanking my arm, I was getting warning twinges. When it came to freestyle, however, I got to choose what moves I led, and they didn't include the pretzel, especially when dancing with beginners.

Donna

I'm not dancing tonight as I have a really sore wrist. Think I must have overdone the dancing over the last few days... Fortunately I won't be missing much over the next week or so.

If it doesn't get better soon, I'm going to see a doctor or physio with it.
    Dancing with too many arm yankers may have caused this?

Dancing with too many arm yankers may have caused this?
    Don't think so... There's no pain from pushing and pulling through the wrist, it's only when I twist it that it hurts. I probably over-twisted it doing something, so I'm not going to blame anyone but myself.

... so I'm not going to blame anyone but myself.
    Thot we'd already established that earlier in the thread

Jenni

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames

I used to do the Latin festival thing in the summer at the South Bank, they had a few hours of freestyle dancing to music - I thought "Great! Free salsa!". But the day afterwards my knees and back very much knew about it. There's a reason why us old people like sprung dance floors...
    Couple of other things I've learned busking on the high street . Spins don't work nearly so well on concrete. Stylish toes taps are extremely painful on concrete. Even a lady doing an unexpected lean is frightening because there's no way you can let her fall. Should be some sort of agreement - no dips, drops etc on concrete <shudder>

to sprung dance floors

Take care,
    Christopher

People keep hitting me in the head, but no injuries yet

I'm trying to think up with a witty retort... Stay with me here...
    Attached Images Attached Images

... so I'm not going to blame anyone but myself.
    Perhaps together we could find a way that puts some of the blame on you...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information