Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Memorable Songs

Smile Memorable Songs

Following the (successful) theme of people sharing their more private thoughts/memories with the general cyber population...

The thought occurred to me that many people have a record or two that brings back strong memories, taking them back to a time and place and an emotion .... want to share? I know that many of these cases relate to breaking up with someone (IÕve got half of Level 42Õs collection associated with some kind of similar trauma) but lets not go there ... care to share any happy or mildly embarrassing stories..

As IÕm starting this thread I suppose its behold on me to make the initial contribution so..here are a couple.

First contribution is actually a trio; ÒSpaceman came travellingÓ Ð Chris De Burgh, ÒLying in Arms of MaryÓ Ð Sutherland Brothers and Quiver (WHO??), ÒWreck of the Edmond FitzgeraldÓ Ð Gordon Lightfoot. During my studying for my O levels (ahh the pain the pain) Beacon Radio was being launched, and the above three tracks were played continuously as a test transmission. So, amid the certain knowledge that I knew NOTHING these tracks were some king of solace. Also, it was the last summer that my Dad was alive so it brings back warm memories.

Second ÓTainted Love (12Ó)Ó Ð Soft Cell Words cannot express how much I loathe and detest this track. Early in my University career, me and my mates plucked up the bottle to attack the dance floor to this track. All went passably well until the dreaded 27 hour instrumental section at the heart of this track. With only a paltry ÔDi Da DaÕ beat to dance with, we were lost and doomed. No escape from the dancefloor, stranded without a clue how the hell to dance to it. even now this track brings back my paranoia about dancing in public.

So ... anyone else who wants to share?

Them were the days...

Three that spring to mind....

"Wizrds of the sonic" - not sure of the artist. To celebrate my 21st birthday I went to Ibiza for a week's clubbing. It was a FANTASTIC week and this track brings back all the good times - I can even feel the warmth of the sunshine whilst listening to it (and that's saying something in the depths of winter in Glasgow!!)

Aqua "Barbie Girl". Hey, no-one said that they had to be decent tunes!!! First year undergrad days... the parties... going to lectures after three hours sleep... my flatmates... Isis nightclub (never did make it to be a podium dancer...) *sigh*

"Three times a lady" artist(s) unknown. Great track to waltz to. This brings back memories of initially learning to dance with Stewart & Liz, practicing the waltz routine (repeatedly!!) before a competition and the first guy I competed with, Malcolm. On the whole these are great memories (I've managed to suppress the memories of my teacher yelling at me for holding my thumb 45 degrees out of position...)

Funny that these three are all from my first year at uni... There are many others ("Everything I do I do it for you" - first love (:sorry ), "Send in the clowns" - A-level hell...) but I'd be here all day....

Jayne

Re: Memorable Songs

A few that come to mind for the moment, will think of others to come back with -

Maggie May - Rod Stewart - met my husband to this one

Simply the Best - Tina Turner - had been going through a "black dog" period and this really helped pull me out of it

Medicine & Semi Precious - Eddie Reader - after the death of a family member... sorry to be bleak but I played these over and over!

Hero - Enrique - one of the best dances I ever had and still gives me shivers when i hear it

More to come ....

Sandy

Commercial Operator
    Music by John Miles.

Not a particular time.... works whenever. No real memories, just a tune that, for me, will always have that magic and, in a little over 4 minutes, encapsulates everything about music I love.

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

old songs?

Thanks Gus - for making me think about this for the past few hours - my children now are sure that I've lost it as I've been humming tunes and smiling to myself.......................

ok - the first one I can think of I'm sure most of you will never have heard of

"They shoot horses don't they?" Racing Cars - ah! Memories of that first real love - this definitely started out as "my" song not "ours" but as he knew I really liked it he would always ask the DJ to play it and we would shuffle around the dancefloor together Sadly he left me for sunnier climes and I was too young (1st year at college!) to follow him Don't hear it often on the radio nowadays but still makes my heart skip a beat

"You've lost that loving feeling" - Mafia - featuring Dougie Martin.
    When I first started going out with my husband we used to go and see a local soul band - Mafia - they were brilliant........at the end of the night they would usually finish with a Motown medley and then this...........Dougie had a voice that was even lower and rougher than Bill Medley (Rightous Brothers) - sounded like he'd been smoking 40 woodbine just before he went on. The first notes came right from the soles of his boots - melted my heart and made my knees go weak.

"Don't want to miss a thing" or whatever the proper title is - Aerosmith. It's a great song, just listen to the lyrics, Steve Tyler sings it with such conviction and passion. I love it............

Baillamos - Enrique - About a year and a half ago I had just the BEST and SEXIEST dance to this track in Marcos of a summer's Saturday night...................

mmmm! think that's enough :sorry :sorry :sorry

"If music be the food of love, play on..."

Bon Jovi - Bad Medicine
    Grade 6 Graduation...

Barry Manilow - Copacabana
    Form VI Formal...

Charlene - I've Never Been To Me
    Year travelling & working overseas...

Harold Faltermeyer - Memories
    Sophie B Hawkins - Lose Your Way
    Jessica Andrews - Show Me Heaven
    Healing for a broken heart...

Live passionately,

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

And from now on!

Somebody just reminded me of something

"On My Way" - the Proclaimers

Won't ever be able to hear this song again without some of the best memories of some of the nicest people

Omnipotent Moderatrix (LMC)
    Because of the sales I've been buying cheapo cheapo CDs...I just got the Best of the Human League - put it in the CD player and immediately I'm twelve again, sitting in a friend's bedroom discussing what we're going to wear for some godawful party we were taking a bottle of pomagne to, and loading our eyes with as much eyeliner as possible in an attempt to look like the girls in the band. We all ended up with conjunctivitis, by the way

Originally posted by Emma
    ...just got the Best of the Human League - put it in the CD player and immediately I'm twelve again......
    Only 12!!! Boy do I feel old

Reminded me of another classic track ..... can't remember the name (Karma Chameleon??) but it was Culture Club's debut single ... remember all the family watching Top of the Pops ... trying to work out what gender (if any) Boy George was.......

Gus,

Culture Club's debut single was "Do you really want to hurt me?" I remember that due to the saturation play it got, and the fact that it's fairly melancholic, after a few weeks I started to insert the word "yes" when I heard it being played. I much preferred the more upbeat Karma Chameleon.

Graham

Originally posted by Graham
    Gus,

Culture Club's debut single was "Do you really want to hurt me?" I remember that due to the saturation play it got, and the fact that it's fairly melancholic, after a few weeks I started to insert the word "yes" when I heard it being played. ....

Graham
    Graham ... thanks for reviving my absent memory ... but what was your reaction when you first saw Boy George's features on TV ... share..

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ceroc Jock
    Music by John Miles.

Not a particular time.... works whenever. No real memories, just a tune that, for me, will always have that magic and, in a little over 4 minutes, encapsulates everything about music I love.
    Ooh, this reminds me of my first girls holiday abroad(many moons ago). We watched a laser show with this blasting out, it was awesome. Brings back great memories. (Even if it was in the (not so) classy resort of Lloret de Mar!! )

Dark side of the moon - Pink Floyd. Listening to this album for the first time sitting in my friends room in the halls of residence drinking ale on a hot summers day... and I was being the sensible level headed guy looking after my friend while he was spaced out on mushrooms (I don't partake in such nonsense) When ever I hear "The Great Gig in the Sky" from that album I envision my mate looking at awe , mouth agape at the blank wall.. don't know (nor do I want to know) what it was he was so transfixed by.

Don't particularly like this song but
    Japanese Boy -Aneka always takes me back to a family holiday in the sunny balmy resort.... of Blackpool

Prince Charming -Adam and the ants as above..the same memories.. only more of the pleasure beach.

Try a Little Tenderness - The commitments - Playing in the pub when I met my Friends Mother.. later to become my Girlfriend.. Later my Fiancee... and later still my Ex.

Glitter Queen

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970
    Prince Charming -Adam and the ants

This is also a memorable song for me - I don't ever want to hear it again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles

This is also a memorable song for me - I don't ever want to hear it again!!!
    bad memories Promise never to play it in your presence.. as long as you promise never to play "the power of love" by Jennifer Rush in mine

Glitter Queen

bad memories Promise never to play it in your presence.. as long as you promise never to play "the power of love" by Jennifer Rush in mine
    It's a deal

... Will and Gus still feature in my nightmares....

....... envision......

Arggghhh !!!! - the lad's beyond redemption.

Killing Moon by echo and the bunnymen. Reminds me of summer festivals and beer

One song that instantly transports me to a particular place is The Connells '74/75' - driving though France on holiday ... for ages afterwards, every time I heard it I wanted to drive on the wrong side of the road! I loved it so much I put it on every compilation I made for years, and am now sick of the sound of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard
    Arggghhh !!!! - the lad's beyond redemption.
    Definitions of envision on the Web:

visualize: imagine; conceive of; see in one's mind; "I can't see him on horseback!"; "I can see what will happen"; "I can see a risk in this strategy"
    picture to oneself; imagine possible; "I cannot envision him as President"

what's wrong with that?

by the way.. am posting this telepathically as I'm currently being held captive in the sofa room by Twirly and Princess Fi.. so it's not all bad then I guess

Thread Information