View Poll Results: How many kilometers do you walk in an average day?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than 1k - I'm a slave to my car/ a couch potato

5 17.86%
  • 1-5k - car is too convenient/ I'm too lazy

12 42.86%
  • 5-10k - The experts approve!

9 32.14%
  • 10-15k - Wow! I'm so fit!

2 7.14%
  • Over 15k - Superman/ superwoman!!!!!

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How far do you walk?

Re: How far do you walk?

Quote Originally Posted by Gojive
    Ah yes, you went to Barcelona didn't you?.....was it like last year, where you had to walk/catch the Metro for miles to each evening venue?
    I went to the Barcelona one in August, and yes was in the Expo Hotel miles from where it was all happening, despite all the dancing (and eating) I came home weighing exactly the same as when I went. Going on the one Lynn went on in October, have a feeling it maybe a different story I'll just have to dance MORE
    Anyone else going in October?

Quote Originally Posted by under par
    Hi Lynn, I bet you wouldn't have taken so long if it was dance shoes you were after

see you Friday
    Very true!

Looking forward to a dance on Fri night!

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    I used to go hillwalking about once a ....
    week.......but then I discovered Ceroc.

On the rare occasions when I now go hill-walking I don't notice that my fitness has declined much, so it says a lot for the aerobic benefits of dancing.

If anyone wears a pedometer at Southport I'd be very interested in fearing the results.

Just reread that, freudian slap, or what?

Has anybody succeeded in getting a pedometer reading? I have had four attempts. The first three failed because it kept falling off, (I lost one). The last attempt went bleep as I removed it, and showed 0.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey
    That's ok! I sometimes go hillwalking, too, and will walk for 5-10 hours..... I love it, and so does my dog!

Just out of curiosity - how long did it take you to climb Snowdon? My ex made me run up and down it a few years ago, so we did it.... Umm.... In hardly any time at all (I thought I was going to die!!!!!). Just wondering how long it should normally take!!

Happy walking!

LM
    Hi LM

We took the Pyg Track, which I gather is around middle of the road (so to speak) as regards difficulty, and climbed from Pen-Y-Pass to the summit in 2 hours 40 (with frequent rest stops)

Quote Originally Posted by Senorita
    I love hiking! I walk about 10/15 miles everyday
    Now that's impressive!!!

I start to feel knackered around the 8 mile marker. The longest I've done in recent years, is 20 miles in Norway....in sub-zero conditions!

Now that's impressive!!!

I start to feel knackered around the 8 mile marker. The longest I've done in recent years, is 20 miles in Norway....in sub-zero conditions!
    You make sub-zero sound like the North Pole or something Tee-hee! I'm Norwegian, and when I lived in the Land of Vikings and Expensive Alcohol, I used to walk my dogs in the forest every day, between 1 1/2 and 3 hours, all year round. The only time we cut the walkies short, was when it was -35C... Even my dogs wanted to go back inside!!!

I'm actually cold more often over here than I ever was in Norway. It's so damp here, and it goes right through your bones, and feels like its below zero even when its way above! Saying that, I very often seem to be able to walk further when it's cool, and prefer autumn and winter walking to summer. No clammy heat, no midgies. But lack of daylight, which means early starts. Poo!

Oh, and my nasty (not!!!) ex made me run up and down Snowdon in just over 2 hours. B****rd! I was knackered! And that was after a day of rock climbing, too........... I think your time is slightly more sane.

LM

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

You make sub-zero sound like the North Pole or something Tee-hee! I'm Norwegian, and when I lived in the Land of Vikings and Expensive Alcohol, I used to walk my dogs in the forest every day, between 1 1/2 and 3 hours, all year round. The only time we cut the walkies short, was when it was -35C... Even my dogs wanted to go back inside!!!

I'm actually cold more often over here than I ever was in Norway. It's so damp here, and it goes right through your bones, and feels like its below zero even when its way above! Saying that, I very often seem to be able to walk further when it's cool, and prefer autumn and winter walking to summer. No clammy heat, no midgies. But lack of daylight, which means early starts. Poo!

Oh, and my nasty (not!!!) ex made me run up and down Snowdon in just over 2 hours. B****rd! I was knackered! And that was after a day of rock climbing, too........... I think your time is slightly more sane.

LM
    My husband is doing the Polar Challenge next year. A 350mile walk across the north pole!! I believe it gets as low as -60 degrees. But the worst part is that they have to have shooting training as the Polar bears are their biggest threat!! Apparently you are supposed to make yourself as big as possible and shout really loudly if you get threatened by one. Not quite sure what it is they are going to shout! "Go Away" "Bugger off" Personally i think he's gone mad!

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver
    Has anybody succeeded in getting a pedometer reading? I have had four attempts. The first three failed because it kept falling off, (I lost one). The last attempt went bleep as I removed it, and showed 0.
    I walked the same route (there and back) with one pedometer and got two completely different readings.

I usually walk to work and back, but that is only about 3km. I'm planning to do a lot more in the near future.

I was supposed to be walking tonight but we cancelled it as it involved too many people travelling across the city - and things are still settling down here after our annual post parade riots. Better not to go anyway - I managed to get a blister on my heel on Sat night - despite wearing a well worn and comfy pair of dance shoes (it was the joy of having a dance night in Belfast, I couldn't sit down all evening). So need to rest my feet for Southport.

Measuring up patio to see if neighbour will fit under it

I do at least 4 miles walking a day, i do have a car but tend to leave it at home quite alot must get one of those pedometer things to find out how much i do exactly . I also go to the gym 3 times a week and go horse riding plus dancing, gosh no wonder most nights im in bed by ten

Quote Originally Posted by Gill (Norwich)
    I went to the Barcelona one in August, and yes was in the Expo Hotel miles from where it was all happening, despite all the dancing (and eating) I came home weighing exactly the same as when I went. Going on the one Lynn went on in October, have a feeling it maybe a different story I'll just have to dance MORE
    Anyone else going in October?
    Did you have just one venue this year Gill?

Last year, we had at least 3 different venues, with start times from 8pm to 1am!, and spread all over the city . I have to say though, it was one of the few bad points of the holiday. I managed to get in a few miles walking each afternoon.....invariably as a result of looking for the right place to eat and drink - there were just so many to choose from!

LM
    LOL! As you say LM, althought the max daytime temp was around -2, it didn't really feel all that cold.

We had been treated to a superb fall of snow on xmas eve (what perfect timing!), and walking along the empty snow covered lanes under a full moon, was positively bliss! .

As for the alcohol.....£10 for the cheapest of cheap red wine in the "Vin Monopolet(sp?)? - The only downer (or non-downer really) of our holiday really

I miss being able to walk to work. It makes such a difference.

I should be rather fit, considering that I dance several hours a week too! But I feel very flabby and unfit!!
    You didn't look flabby or unfit at S'port.
    To be honest, I can think of very few regular dancers who look unfit. Even the heavier boys and girls tend to look well-exercised with it.

LOL! As you say LM, althought the max daytime temp was around -2, it didn't really feel all that cold.

We had been treated to a superb fall of snow on xmas eve (what perfect timing!), and walking along the empty snow covered lanes under a full moon, was positively bliss! .

As for the alcohol.....£10 for the cheapest of cheap red wine in the "Vin Monopolet(sp?)? - The only downer (or non-downer really) of our holiday really
    Tell me about it! One of the reasons I am not a big drinker, 5 quid for a glass of white wine is the pits!!

Anyway, running around after two small children every day, doing jazzercise 2-3 times a week and also my dance classes I am just too knackerd to walk to the shops . Would be interested to see just how many steps that I do in a day though. Must get one of those pedometers.

This has just started a big debate in the office, so it is agreed that a pedometer will be located and out of mindless curiosity try to find out what I walk in an average day. Im out and about quite a lot during the day, criss crossing the city, so I'm kinda sure I do a few k per day . Plus theres a million stairs in our building and leading up to the building so sometimes I feel like I;ve done a stint on the stair master if its a hectic morning And they say exercise is good for you?! Pah!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBee
    This has just started a big debate in the office, so it is agreed that a pedometer will be located and out of mindless curiosity try to find out what I walk in an average day. Im out and about quite a lot during the day, criss crossing the city, so I'm kinda sure I do a few k per day . Plus theres a million stairs in our building and leading up to the building so sometimes I feel like I;ve done a stint on the stair master if its a hectic morning And they say exercise is good for you?! Pah!
    Get hame an' blaw yer cornet wiman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ceroc Jock
    Get hame an' blaw yer cornet wiman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ach I know I;m a gas bag with plenty of wind but does this mean I'm going to be heckled from afar as well as at the parties?

Spelling is spot-on, sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Peaches
    Tell me about it! One of the reasons I am not a big drinker, 5 quid for a glass of white wine is the pits!!
    Why do you think I buy bottles of wine every time I go to see my family in Norway???? I think my (Scottish) step-dad is in a state of shock.... He moved to Norway with my mum last winter, and still gets fits every time he goes shopping because of the prices!)

And why do you think I started drinking much more as soon as I moved over here?? Actually, I now drink very little and very rarely, but always have a few bottles in my wine rack just in case...

LM

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    You didn't look flabby or unfit at S'port.

Thread Information