Thread: First move KJ and Roll in Somersault

First move KJ and Roll in Somersault

Just wondering if anyone out there knows what the signal is for First Move KJ. Really love the way this move looks but also how do you get round the problem of executing this move neatly with falling over flat on yer face? Ladies ? lol. The problem seems to be that once I've stepped out of the first move and turned anticlockwise into my dance partner's arms, its where to stand so that he can then lean to the right, dropping me down that right side. He feels that he has no safe hold over me and I'm not sure what I can do to ensure I don't fall over and off that line, apart from keeping my body plank-like. It doesn't seem to be working - any suggestions out there?

Also I can't seem to get that roll in somersault going either. The momentum stops half way once I hit his shoulder, leaving me looking like a stranded possum, stuck upside down before we both collapse in a heap on the floor
    Help pleeaaase

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Re: First move KJ and Roll in Somersault

Quote Originally Posted by kiwichook
    Just wondering if anyone out there knows what the signal is for First Move KJ. Really love the way this move looks but also how do you get round the problem of executing this move neatly with falling over flat on yer face? Ladies ? lol. The problem seems to be that once I've stepped out of the first move and turned anticlockwise into my dance partner's arms, its where to stand so that he can then lean to the right, dropping me down that right side. He feels that he has no safe hold over me and I'm not sure what I can do to ensure I don't fall over and off that line, apart from keeping my body plank-like. It doesn't seem to be working - any suggestions out there?

Also I can't seem to get that roll in somersault going either. The momentum stops half way once I hit his shoulder, leaving me looking like a stranded possum, stuck upside down before we both collapse in a heap on the floor
    Help pleeaaase
    I've never seen the FMKJ move taught in the UK, but it's on one of the Ceroc Australia advanced videos. If I remember correctly it's a first move with inside turn into a lean where the lady faces the man and leans to her right side while the man lunges to his left supporting her body with only his right arm around her back and under her right shoulder. The lady extends her right arm parallel to the floor and keeps her left arm on the man's shoulder.

According to the video, there's no specific signal.

From the times I've tried the move, I'd say that keeping your body plank-like was a prerequsite. And according to the video, your feet stay slightly outside the man's right foot as he lunges to his left. I think the safe hold comes as much from your hold on his shoulder as well as his arm under your right arm, no?

Can't help any with the summersault though.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwichook

Help pleeaaase
    Hmm tricky. From what I can remember, you need to make sure that your step into the turn isn't too big, and that you spin on the spot rather than step-turning. Then, as you say, keep your body really straight and try not to lean inwards or outwards too much - use your left arm to regulate your balance in relation to the guy and to take as much of your weight as you can, so you might need to practise bringing your arm round as early as possible, and use your right to keep you straight.

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    I've never seen the FMKJ move taught in the UK, but it's on one of the Ceroc Australia advanced videos. If I remember correctly it's a first move with inside turn into a lean where the lady faces the man and leans to her right side while the man lunges to his left supporting her body with only his right arm around her back and under her right shoulder. The lady extends her right arm parallel to the floor and keeps her left arm on the man's shoulder.

According to the video, there's no specific signal.

From the times I've tried the move, I'd say that keeping your body plank-like was a prerequsite. And according to the video, your feet stay slightly outside the man's right foot as he lunges to his left. I think the safe hold comes as much from your hold on his shoulder as well as his arm under your right arm, no?

Can't help any with the summersault though.
    Thanks for that description. Never knew this was the name of that move

Pretty accurate to the details so nothing really to add apart from the man being quick and determined when intending to do the move because them ladies have a habit of NOT keeping their feet closed

As for the somersault, I suspect that you don't 'bring your knees'. It is the momentum of your own legs that takes you through the highest point.

The first part of the move seems to be pretty well covered in the previous posts.

Don't know exactly what 'somersault' version you are referring to, but the fundamental principle in any somersault - forwards or backwards - is that it is driven from the hips, not by tipping the head or shoulders back (in a back somersault), or forwards (in a front somersault). Drive up through the hips and then bring up the knees (or legs if it's a piked or open version). Once the rotation is established then you 'spot' the floor and orientate yourself so you know when to open out. I would strongly recommend only doing it with a spotter until you are both comfortable with the move (or any aerial for that matter).

Good luck with it.

M
    Last edited by Mary; 7th-September-2005 at 01:02 AM.

Thanks guys - you have all been utterly brilliant as per usual!

Thread Information