Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CQB dance moves

CQB dance moves

Ok for the more peaceful among you CQB stands for Close Quarter Battle. You know when the floor has become _so_ crowded and the people around you are doing big moves and not paying any attention to what’s going on around them. It feels more like a warzone than a dancefloor. So assuming that I want to finish the dance rather than just walk off and I only have enough room to armjive, what moves would you recommend that can be danced a) with no space b) protectively in case someone launches an elbow / kick towards my partner?

Many thanks
    Christopher

Re: CQB dance moves

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost
    Ok for the more peaceful among you CQB stands for Close Quarter Battle. You know when the floor has become _so_ crowded and the people around you are doing big moves and not paying any attention to what’s going on around them. It feels more like a warzone than a dancefloor. So assuming that I want to finish the dance rather than just walk off and I only have enough room to armjive, what moves would you recommend that can be danced a) with no space b) protectively in case someone launches an elbow / kick towards my partner?

Many thanks
    Christopher
    1st Move Mambo Steps - between you and your partner you have 360 degree vision, for situational awareness, you can rock backwards and forwards according to space available, stop each other from hitting people behind you and deftly turn your partner, on a sixpence, into that space that just materialised from nowhere. Raised elbows and a firm, resolute frame allow you to defend yourselves and your floorspace from suicide droppers and floor hogs. And all this whilst keeping time to the music, adding interpretational flourishes and the ability to hit the breaks. What more do you need at Fulham on a Thursday night?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythm King
    What more do you need at Fulham on a Thursday night?
    Um, plasma rifle in a 40 watt range?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythm King
    1st Move Mambo Steps - between you and your partner you have 360 degree vision, for situational awareness, you can rock backwards and forwards according to space available, stop each other from hitting people behind you and deftly turn your partner, on a sixpence, into that space that just materialised from nowhere. Raised elbows and a firm, resolute frame allow you to defend yourselves and your floorspace from suicide droppers and floor hogs. And all this whilst keeping time to the music, adding interpretational flourishes and the ability to hit the breaks. What more do you need at Fulham on a Thursday night?
    Great move. Some others I use are
    Slow combs
    Ladycombs
    Freeze
    Invites to play
    Armjive swizzle
    In and Out
    Side to side (without travelling return)
    Slow Hallelujah
    Long Hallelujah

I also dance using the "sitting on the edge of a barstool / cat stance / dragon stance" so that my back and hips are always further back than my feet so that hopefully any collisions are back to back or hips to hips. It's not foolproof because fools are so creative, but it helps.

Any other moves to add to my list or advice on dancing with _no_ room?

Take care,
    Christopher

So assuming that I want to finish the dance rather than just walk off and I only have enough room to armjive, what moves would you recommend that can be danced a) with no space b) protectively in case someone launches an elbow / kick towards my partner?
    If we're talking about CQB, may I recommend grabbing the kicking foot, followed by a swift punch to the throat?

Variations on the Cleaver can work quite well, left or right hand, giving various options for unwinding or coming out of the stance, or moving from one into the other. And gives you the option of 'making waves' if threatened. Doesn't give you the 360 awareness that RK's First Move Mambo does though.

Christopher - you mentioned "Invites to play":what do you mean by that?

Commercial Operator

I often use the In & Out With Exagerated Elbows to create a bit of room. When somebody's being a bit of a d1ck I often resort to the "I'll keep my back to you, whilst doing only small moves so when you bump me everybody knows it was your fault"

Quote Originally Posted by Allez-Cat
    Variations on the Cleaver can work quite well, left or right hand, giving various options for unwinding or coming out of the stance, or moving from one into the other. And gives you the option of 'making waves' if threatened.

I love it when I've got options

Doesn't give you the 360 awareness that RK's First Move Mambo does though.
    Yeah time for lots of head turning.

Christopher - you mentioned "Invites to play":what do you mean by that?

I was dancing with someone with _no room_ and remembered dancing in night clubs with _no room_ and thinking well it wasn't really a problem then and I probably had _less_ space. It occurred to me that technically abandoning Ceroc 'moves' for a bit and just letting the lady dance on the spot was a pretty good solution. Most women seem to like the chance to strut their stuff a bit anyway - you know style, expressing themselves to the music and all those wonderful things people keep talking about

However,
    If you're under fire and getting flustered and you're dancing with your sweetie, then take your pick of the combs / long halleuijah and by all means 'play' I guarentee you'll have a better dance then the inconsiderates around you.

Take care
    Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by Baruch
    If we're talking about CQB, may I recommend grabbing the kicking foot, followed by a swift punch to the throat?

Course at this point you may as well take out the rest of the inconsiderate dancers as you're probably gonna be asked to leave shortly and at least that'll stop them inflicting themselves on anyone else that night

Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by clevedonboy
    I often use the In & Out With Exagerated Elbows to create a bit of room. When somebody's being a bit of a d1ck I often resort to the "I'll keep my back to you, whilst doing only small moves so when you bump me everybody knows it was your fault"
    I like the exagerrated elbows idea. I should be able to use them to do gentle re-direct parries to any incoming high blows / bodies

Thanks,
    Christopher

What moves would you recommend?
    I recommend a move off the dancefloor. Carpeted areas, outside, or the stage are good for some uncluttered dancing. The bar is good for other reasons.

I like the First Move Balboa, but I can't lead it.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    I recommend a move off the dancefloor.

Carpeted areas, outside, or the stage are good for some uncluttered dancing.

I've considered this, but several things occurred to me
    a) The local venues aren't owned by Ceroc, just hired space and I can see the actual Clubs getting annoyed about people dancing in the car park - health and safety etc
    b) Just as drinkers / chatters shouldn't be in the middle of the dance floor, is it bad ettiquette to dance in their area on the carpet eg you could bump into somone and spill their drink?
    c) For going outside / different room how to make it clear that I just want to dance? "So do you want to continue this in the car park" is _sooo_ open to misinterpretation.

Any advice on the above would be much appreciated. I'll also ask the taxis what the ettiquette at the venue is (if any)

The bar is good for other reasons.
    Oh yeah, there's nothing quite like a sexy woman dancing on the bar. Wait that is what you meant right?

I like the First Move Balboa, but I can't lead it.
    I tried googling this but came up empty. Now admittedly there's definitely an element of "If you can't lead this, then I doubt I can", but in the spirit of adventure ( I know some understanding women who might let me try it) how does it go?

Many thanks
    Christopher

b) Just as drinkers / chatters shouldn't be in the middle of the dance floor, is it bad ettiquette to dance in their area on the carpet eg you could bump into somone and spill their drink?
    In venues where tea/coffee is served near the end of the freestyle this could also be quite dangerous - I got scalded at Twyford when I was standing still with a cup of coffee waiting to get past a dancing couple - and standing well back too - but coffee still went everywhere when the woman decided to fling herself backwards, crashed into someone who WASN'T stood well back, who then crashed into me... (yes, I did tell them that I didn't think dancing in the bar area was a very good idea - quite nicely too considering my hand was stinging like mad)

Ahh - CQB. Reminds me of my youth and all those wonderful military acronyms.

So, CQB in a DIBUA environment (Dancing Inconvenienced By Uncivilised A**holes). I favour turning your back to protect your partner, dancing small moves and slowly reversing into the person encroaching on your space. Great fun because they can't work out why their space is getting smaller all the time. And if they hit you it still looks like their fault.

(For those sad enough to want to know, in Army speak DIBUA means Defence In Built-Up Areas. Much better acronyms were "TEWT" (Tactical Exercise Without Troops) and "NEWD" (Night Exercise Without Darkness) - but the best ever was invented by the guy who commanded the Army Air Corps squadron in the Falklands when I was there. He christened himself "Falkland Islands Air Squadron Commanding Officer" and signed all his letters FIASCO).

I tried googling this but came up empty. Now admittedly there's definitely an element of "If you can't lead this, then I doubt I can", but in the spirit of adventure ( I know some understanding women who might let me try it) how does it go?
    Try looking here
    http://golgi.ana.ed.ac.uk/swing/Balboabasic.pdf
    They're right when they say it's hard. The first move bit is just a way of getting into a close hold...

Sean

up the motorway, turn left, turn left, through the bends.......

Many thanks
    Christopher

welcome to the forum, see you're new member

Quote Originally Posted by LMC
    In venues where tea/coffee is served near the end of the freestyle this could also be quite dangerous - I got scalded at Twyford when I was standing still with a cup of coffee waiting to get past a dancing couple - and standing well back too - but coffee still went everywhere
    I'm guessing that knocking a glass of red wine over a lady's favourite white dancing dress probably wouldn't go down too well either.

But I like Martin's concept when applied to dancing beyond the drinkers eg where they collect the entrance money or in adjoining corridors.

If
    a) teachers don't mind you dancing on the stage,
    b) you could get a lady willing to do it and
    c) you were sure you weren't going to fall off
    this seems like a good idea too.

It could actually be Darwinian. If all the careful dancers went outside and just left the dangerous ones to it, I suspect you'd eventually be left with one utter lunatic and a dance floor of the walking wounded. Especally if they started trying to outdo each other with aerials! I have a lot of sympathy for careful dancers who end up dancing with someone reckless.

I had a great dance last week with a lady who had great floorcraft eg during the turnout part of a first move would look over her right shoulder. With both of us checking there was room for her to move into and watching out for incoming arms etc we were able to dance with a fair amount of energy in a reasonably small space, safely and well.

Take care,
    Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by JonD
    I favour turning your back to protect your partner, dancing small moves and slowly reversing into the person encroaching on your space. Great fun because they can't work out why their space is getting smaller all the time. And if they hit you it still looks like their fault.
    Very sneaky

I've noticed there's a trend towards making it obvious that it's the other person's fault? Does this help? I'm quite skilled at getting the lady physically out of the way so there aren't actual collisions so I assume the inconsiderates don't notice. Do you find that they dance more carefully if they keep bumping into you?

A useful trick against incoming arms, bodies etc I adapted from Hercules. In the tv show instead of shaking hands, they start from that position, but slide their hands down to the other person's elbow and shake forearms. If you see someone about to hit your lady as she steps back and you're in a basic right to right hand hold slide your hand into this position and pull. It'll let you reverse the lady's direction and apply a lot of force without 'yanking' . I'd recommend that you practice it first so you don't hurt anyone, but done properly it's very effective as a bail out for when the lady has stepped in and someone decides to dance into the space she just vacated!

Take care
    Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by tsh
    Try looking here
    http://golgi.ana.ed.ac.uk/swing/Balboabasic.pdf
    They're right when they say it's hard.
    Gulp. Something for the future. Still I found this link

www.dancetutor.com/B-pushbr.asp

and was impressed at how gracefully they're dancing whilst staying in a compact space.

So yes, First Move Balboa fits the bill.

Ladies - how easy is it to follow, provided of course the man can lead it?

Thanks to you both.

Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Locket
    welcome to the forum, see you're new member
    Wow a flower from a lady - that's made my day!

Allow me to offer the same

I'm really grateful to y'all for the helpful info that's up here. It certainly makes dancing Ceroc easier. And it's waaay less painful learning from other's mistakes, so thanks for sharing.

Dance in beauty,
    Christopher

Thread Information