Thread: Name Dropping

Red face Name Dropping

As Amanda (in the Big Night Out" thread) has introduced her personal social agony, how about this dilemma, that "a close friend" of mine has.

He's danced regularly (and very closely) at Ceroc venues etc for well over a year with a lady who knows his name, but he has forgotten hers.

It's gone beyond the stage where he can pretend ignorance or forgetfulness. She keeps asking about, and discussing, personal matters that suggest they know each other really well.

He has tried mutual introductions (eg "Hi, do you two know each other, why don't you introduce yourselves") but no success.

He has tried reading through a Book of Girls First Names to see if any bells ring - silence.

He has tried asking other dancers, but clearly the wrong ones as they don't know her name,.

He's afraid that if he asks too many people, that word will get back that after all those intimate dances he STILL doesn't know her name.

So, what should he do?
    - 'Fess up?
    - Rummage through her handbag to find her diary?
    - Pin up a photo of her with a Does Anyone Know This Woman notice?
    - Pretend he's a police officer who wants to take down her particulars?

Maybe we need an Agony Aunt (or Uncle) thread for all such painfully awkward social occasions?:sorry

Having a terrible memory for names, I can all too easily empathise.

Confession is the most obvious solution, but clearly runs the risk of leaving her feeling insulted. Incidentally, has it occurred to you that she (and possibly a number of other partners) might identify themselves from your posting? You might find yourself shunned by insulted dancers taking umbrage!

The diary option has two blatant flaws. Firstly, not everyone actually writes their name in their diary, so you may draw a blank. Secondly, and much more seriously, do you really think it's better to get caught rummaging than to 'fess up???? :sorry

The photo option could work, but since you'd have to pin it up in places where she would be as likely to see it as anyone else, I'd imagine curiosity would prompt her to call the contact number herself, so you'd probably be back to option 1.

I like the last idea, assuming you don't mind it being a bit of a chat-up line, although presumably taking down her particulars would only be possible if she wasn't one of the commandos

How about bribing the person collecting the money to demand to see her Ceroc membership card (could have a "card crack-down night" to disguise this! )

easy peasy!!!

lets say yer friends name is Fred and the girl is Thelma, get someone else to say to Thelma, " I hear you know Fred, so when did ya meet before there must be a story behind it....btw, my name is Fox what's yours?".

get that someone to report back to Fred, problem solved....

Hey if its in Dundee I'll do it....hehehe

Fox
    ~will chat up anyone~

Here's a much better idea - get the girls phone number (on the pretext of say lift sharing at the next Marco's night or whatever) Then phone her up. She's obviously at the Ceroc night with you, so you'll get her answering machine .. Hi this is xxx, sorry I can't take your call etc. Problem solved!

Only problem is, if she does a 1471, she might wonder why you've been calling her when you know she's at Ceroc... :sorry

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Name Dropping

Originally posted by John S
    Maybe we need an Agony Aunt (or Uncle) thread for all such painfully awkward social occasions?:sorry
    Dear John,

Thank you for writing to our monthly agony column.
    The problem faced by your friend (really?) is altogether common. Many people suffer from the same memory lapses.
    First of all, do not worry overly over it, your friend's friend might get temporarily upset when asked for her name, but as it is, she might already be wondering why your friend is avoiding her...
    By the way, are you sure that she knows his name?

I myself, suffer from a similar problem, I always blank on my demonstrator's name, or all the taxi-dancers, typically when I have to do stage introductions and thanks etc...

Ladies, if any of you are reading this, do all your friends a favour, try to mention your name as often as possible in confirmation, this will avoid embarrassment for all

Franck.

Eureka! I've had an epiphany.

We've been looking at it from the wrong angle. Instead of trying to find out her name, you need to make one up!! Start calling her some appropriate nickname, eg Blue-eyes, Sexy-legs, Fluffykins, etc. Then you'll never have to know her name, as you can always use her nickname when necessary! Brilliant in it's simplicity, even if I do say so myself.

Oh, and here's a tip - take a polaroid of her and write the nickname on it for future reference.

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Graham
    Oh, and here's a tip - take a polaroid of her and write the nickname on it for future reference.
    No need, just call everyone with the same nickname (doll, babe, etc...), and you will never need to remember anyone's name

Franck.

Fluffykins???!!!!!!

FLUFFYKINS??!!!!!

OMG!!.....

pls say its not so!!.....lol

Fox

Originally posted by Fox
    Fluffykins???!!!!!!

FLUFFYKINS??!!!!!

OMG!!.....

pls say its not so!!.....lol

Fox
    You know her too, Fox??????????

But thanks for all the suggestions, folks, I will pass them on to my "friend".

OK i'll make it easy for you guys.....my name isn't really filthycute :p

MISS filthycute to you

Melanie x x

This is the last time I tell you all!
    So listen up
    I only answer to Fluffykins when I wear my mini skirt and court shoes!
    stop writing it all over this chat room!
    aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Thread Information