Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: The right to leave

TiggsTours

Re: The right to leave

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    No. It's a tie pin worn by a bunch of thugs who have a code of uniform which they should respect. Simply on the arguments of discipline and respect for authority, they should damn well wear what they're told, stop bitching about this sort of trivia, and sort their prison out.
    Please get your facts straight before entering into this argument. The St George's Cross pins that the prison officers were wearing were charity pins, in aid of a cancer research charity. Are you suggesting that the prison officers do not wear poppies in November, as it is not part of their uniform and they should be sorting their prison out?

Meglio del Cioccolato Demo

Whether they do or not is not an issue. They are wearing a uniform and that should be it.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TiggsTours
    Please get your facts straight before entering into this argument. The St George's Cross pins that the prison officers were wearing were charity pins, in aid of a cancer research charity.
    Well gosh, I'm just all upset now that those nice non-racist, non-rapist, charidee-supporting, lovely-smelling guards were all misunderstood.

But the full quote is "Chief inspector of prisons Anne Owers said she had been told the pins were bought in support of a cancer charity."
    (emphasis mine)

Now, I've Googled, but I can't find any cancer charity which provided St. George's cross pins - that's just the story she was told.

But, I've found a lot of stories about Wakefield Prison - for example, this BBC article about the prison guard who won the UK's highest-ever compensation award for unfair dismissal, after blowing the whistle about inmate abuse - apparently, she was treated as a "grass" after reporting claims prisoners were being bullied.

Are you suggesting that the prison officers do not wear poppies in November, as it is not part of their uniform and they should be sorting their prison out?
    I'm not suggesting anything; I'm saying it.

The prison guards at Wakefield are a bunch of thugs, and I don't trust anything they tell me. I'm going to start with the assumption that they're liars, and work from there.

And from an emotional point of view, I don't want these people using my country's flag - they are racists, and I don't like them.

Quote Originally Posted by azande
    Whether they do or not is not an issue. They are wearing a uniform and that should be it.

Of course its a bloody issue. so you would band poppies and if not why not ??

The prison guards at Wakefield are a bunch of thugs, and I don't trust anything they tell me. I'm going to start with the assumption that they're liars, and work from there.

And from an emotional point of view, I don't want these people using my country's flag - they are racists, and I don't like them.

How much time did you spend in the prison ? I ASSUME you spent some time there to reach these conclusions ?

I would ban poppies or anything else that is not regulamentary (SP?) worn with a uniform. That's why is called a "UNIFORM".

When in civil clothes they can wear what the hell they want.

I would ban poppies or anything else that is not regulamentary (SP?) worn with a uniform. That's why is called a "UNIFORM".

Once again we have stupid authorities getting overly "PC" when azande's reason should have been quite sufficient - and inflammatory media reporting creating the Himalayan mountain chain out of a grain of dust.

TiggsTours

So, when police officers wear poppies, or even soldiers, or other members of our British forces, wear poppies, that is wrong then is it? I mean, its not part of the uniform. Perhaps the Salvation Army should stop wearing them too?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38
    How much time did you spend in the prison ? I ASSUME you spent some time there to reach these conclusions ?
    Well, I'm just basing my evidence on the following publically-known facts:
    - They've just been rapped over the knuckles by an inspection for a number of problems including racism
    - The principal prison officer has been charged with 4 rapes
    - The one staff member who tried to alert the authorities was bullied, mistreated, then unfairly dismissed.
    - There were 11 suicides there last year

Apart from that, I'm sure they're all lovely...

TiggsTours

Well gosh, I'm just all upset now that those nice non-racist, non-rapist, charidee-supporting, lovely-smelling guards were all misunderstood.

But the full quote is "Chief inspector of prisons Anne Owers said she had been told the pins were bought in support of a cancer charity."
    (emphasis mine)

Now, I've Googled, but I can't find any cancer charity which provided St. George's cross pins - that's just the story she was told.

But, I've found a lot of stories about Wakefield Prison - for example, this BBC article about the prison guard who won the UK's highest-ever compensation award for unfair dismissal, after blowing the whistle about inmate abuse - apparently, she was treated as a "grass" after reporting claims prisoners were being bullied.

And I take it you know all the guards at Wakefield Prison personally, I mean, you must do, in order to be able to speak about them this way. Personally I prefer not to judge people that I do not know, or make sweeping generalisations about anything or anyone, I do not have first hand knowledge of. Perhaps I'm niaive? I'd rather be niaive, than an old cynic.

I just love seeing arguments get sidetracked to supply justification for the original point of view

Of course, I don't like taking part in them - 'cos I get as het up as everyone else. Been here, done this one :shrug:

*sets up popcorn stand*

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

So, when police officers wear poppies, or even soldiers, or other members of our British forces, wear poppies, that is wrong then is it? I mean, its not part of the uniform. Perhaps the Salvation Army should stop wearing them too?
    Since you ask, it's probably better for the police not to wear poppies. The Army? Well, it's a military remembrance thing, so fair enough.

The Salvation Army can wear whatever they like since it isn't (my) public money that funds them. They can beat the drum, tell me I'm a sinner and try to persuade me to go to church if they want. I'd be unhappy for the police or the armed forces to do that too.
    Last edited by El Salsero Gringo; 4th-October-2005 at 03:57 PM.

When I was in the Army in Italy I wasn't allowed anything that wasn't part of the uniform, so yes.

Well, I'm just basing my evidence on the following publically-known facts:
    - They've just been rapped over the knuckles by an inspection for a number of problems including racism
    - The principal prison officer has been charged with 4 rapes
    - The one staff member who tried to alert the authorities was bullied, mistreated, then unfairly dismissed.
    - There were 11 suicides there last year

Apart from that, I'm sure they're all lovely...
    Of course im sure all the inmates are lovely to , who would you run to in a crises ??

Pity then that 50% of prison staff dont wear uniforms

Yes ive been in prisons and work with prisoners in the past

Pity then that 50% of prison staff dont wear uniforms
    And your point is........ since we were talking about people in uniform?

And your point is........ since we were talking about people in uniform?

The facts

'a few tie pins were given out bearing the flag of St George on St georges day and in support of a cancer charity'

so those that work in the prison library can wear them but those that work in D block cant ??

Now I assume you agree anyone in unform (nurses , police etc NOT army) should not wear the poppy as it could be offence to others

Political correctness gone mad

Of course the BNP will love this and 'feed' of it.

yes lets ban the police wearing poppies I can see the BNP rubbing their hands now

No, you really do not understand, it might be my english.....

I do not believe people in uniform should wear anything (poppies, pins, striped ties, garters on top of trousers....) that is not issued with the uniform.

It has nothing to do with political correctness or the fear of offending anyone.

Please tell me if it is clear. If not I'll get someone else to explain it to you.

Blog Entries

And I take it you know all the guards at Wakefield Prison personally, I mean, you must do, in order to be able to speak about them this way.
    Do we have to know every member of an iffy regime, to know that they're iffy, or to make value judgements about them?

For example (oops, I was in danger of invoking Godwin's law with a reducto ad absurdium comparison there, whew...), should I know every member of a terrorist group before I can judge that they're not nice people?

Putting it another way, did the authors of the MacPherson report have to personally know every London copper before they could say that the Met was institutionally racist? Or for that matter, that it was instituionally corrupt in the 60s and 70s? These are pretty much matters of public record.

In 10 minutes of online searching, I've come up with 4 very damning pieces of factual evidence against the prison staff regime in Wakefield. Yes, I'm making a value judgement here, but I'm basing it on publically-available and reputable sources.

What evidence do you have to assume that these are just harmless patriots, apart from a story they told which has "lovely publicity" and "distract their attention" and "One for the Mail readers to get worked up about" written all over it?

It looks and smells like a publicity-generated story to me.

Personally I prefer not to judge people that I do not know
    So, getting absurd again, you don't think Ian Huntley (who's a prisoner in Wakefield, BTW) is a bad person?

or make sweeping generalisations about anything or anyone, I do not have first hand knowledge of. Perhaps I'm niaive? I'd rather be niaive, than an old cynic.
    Well, I'm old, and cynical, yes. But so what? Am I right? Or am I right? (Gotta throw in a Groundhog day quote somewhere)

Seriously, you have to make judgements about people we don't know personally in life - for example, in elections, surely?

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

The facts

'a few tie pins were given out bearing the flag of St George on St georges day and in support of a cancer charity'
    Facts that you have from where by the way? I'm not being 'challenging' - I'd like to know.
    Now I assume you agree anyone in unform (nurses , police etc NOT army) should not wear the poppy as it could be offence to others
    Basically, there's a strong argument for that - yes. If uniformed public servants are to wear badges then someone (you, Stewart?) is going to have to decide on which badges are acceptable and which aren't.
    Of course the BNP will love this and 'feed' of it.
    Stuff what the BNP think. On this or on anything else.

Do we have to know every member of an iffy regime, to know that they're iffy, or to make value judgements about them?

For example (oops, I was in danger of invoking Godwin's law with a reducto ad absurdium comparison there, whew...), should I know every member of a terrorist group before I can judge that they're not nice people?

Putting it another way, did the authors of the MacPherson report have to personally know every London copper before they could say that the Met was institutionally racist? Or for that matter, that it was instituionally corrupt in the 60s and 70s? These are pretty much matters of public record.

In 10 minutes of online searching, I've come up with 4 very damning pieces of factual evidence against the prison staff regime in Wakefield. Yes, I'm making a value judgement here, but I'm basing it on publically-available and reputable sources.

What evidence do you have to assume that these are just harmless patriots, apart from a story they told which has "lovely publicity" and "distract their attention" and "One for the Mail readers to get worked up about" written all over it?

It looks and smells like a publicity-generated story to me.

So, getting absurd again, you don't think Ian Huntley (who's a prisoner in Wakefield, BTW) is a bad person?

Well, I'm old, and cynical, yes. But so what? Am I right? Or am I right? (Gotta throw in a Groundhog day quote somewhere)

Seriously, you have to make judgements about people we don't know personally in life - for example, in elections, surely?
    Answer the question would you 'run' to the scum officers or the lovely in mates

Anyway 'debates' like this are silly

The BNP is a clear winner once again

I think we have one camp that would ban everything and another that w ouldnt.

Ill wear my poppy with pride come July !!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    Facts that you have from where by the way? I'm not being 'challenging' - I'd like to know..
    I'd also love to know what cancer charity this was.

I can't find anything online - can anyone who knows how this superweb thing works help?

Thread Information