Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hipsters

9 17.31%
  • Cheshunt

11 21.15%
  • Chesham

2 3.85%
  • Pre-Scottish Champs Party (Musselburgh)

17 32.69%
  • Other

12 23.08%
  • Staying in shaving my head

1 1.92%
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Friday 2nd September

Re: Friday 2nd September

Quote Originally Posted by wittybird
    :

One thing I need to ask is ... Whose going to Twyford tomorrow?
    I'll be going but there is a thread all about it...

"Saturday 3rd Sept - Twyford Freestyle!!"

Maybe meet you for a dance !!!

Quote Originally Posted by under par
    I'll be going but there is a thread all about it...

"Saturday 3rd Sept - Twyford Freestyle!!"

Maybe meet you for a dance !!!
    Goodness I can be so numb didnt see it
    that would be lovely perhaps you can show me how its done

Quote Originally Posted by Gill (Norwich)
    Just home from Cheshunt.

Thanks to everyone for a fantastic evening, yes I would have liked a few more dances but the girls on here are brilliant dancers so I didn't stand a chance
    Intend to keep practising and then who knows
    Seriously thanks to the men that did dance with me , and roll on Southport so we can all meet again
    Robin thanks for a good set tonight, I too particularly enjoyed the last hour.

Thanks to all forumites for some great dances at Cheshunt, especial thanks to WittyBird for the DWAS dance, to Lory and ZW. Two quotes to leave you with:
    "I've got to wring out my bra!" - Lory
    "Bits will fall off if you rub me too hard" - Tessalicious
    Roll on Southport

Quote Originally Posted by wittybird
    :
    that would be lovely perhaps you can show me how its done

Don't know about that quite!

But we could have a good go!

Quote Originally Posted by Yogi_Bear
    Two quotes to leave you with:
    "I've got to wring out my bra!" - Lory
    Cant type too busy laughing gonna fall off my perch if this carries on

Fab evening, thanks guys - particularly thanks for Kev F for putting up with me in DWAS and gratz to Sheepy and Dilly for winning the plonk. Also thanks to Sparkles - that girl is a fabulous lead that most men could learn a hell of a lot from - and lovely to meet WittyBird, Yogi-Bear and stewart38 (yes, I know who you are now, cue evil laugh)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogi_Bear
    ...That really wasn't intended to be as dodgy as it came out... (well almost)

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Long
    ... and Ealing Hipsters didn't really take off for me.
    - no disrespect to the gents I danced with...

Amir's lessons were great fun, dead jealous 'cos Icey got to dance with him & I didn't. But I ran out of steam by about 10.30... guess I got fed up with being crashed into and the floor was a bit sticky.

Great music, shame the evening just didn't quite come together!

Quote Originally Posted by LMC
    .....Amir's lessons were great fun......
    was Amir teaching - wot no Nige N&N class at Friday's Hipsters was always a draw

If I could have gone out last night I think it would have been Hipsters - has it had its day

Quote Originally Posted by Tessalicious
    Also thanks to Sparkles - that girl is a fabulous lead that most men could learn a hell of a lot from
    totally agree

PS: Just remembered Beach Boogie this weekend - that's where N&N must be

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tessalicious
    Also thanks to Sparkles - that girl is a fabulous lead that most men could learn a hell of a lot from
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M
    was Amir teaching - wot no Nige N&N class at Friday's Hipsters was always a draw
    I understood it was a one-off "showcase demo" thing...?

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M
    If I could have gone out last night I think it would have been Hipsters - has it had its day
    Good question. Certainly it seems as busy as ever - too much so, from what people say - so I doubt it's in much danger of closing any time soon. A good night at Hipsters would definitely have been a special experience - but the trouble is that lately people haven't really been having a good night at Hipsters; various factors at play, but certainly having lots of people in a naturally hot room is not much fun.

For me, the last couple of BFFFs weren't as much fun for me as, say, a year ago. I dunno, maybe we're expecting too much now from the place?

Certainly, I had a good time at Cheshunt, even with the competition (I thought the standard of judging was particularly high, what do you think Lory? ), but apart from Robin's smooth tunes, it's just a standard Ceroc venue; nice floor, good bar, but nothing extraordinary. It was lovely to see the forumites of course, and that raised the evening level for me.

At least now we have a choice of venues, a few years ago you'd be lucky to find anywhere to MJ on a weekend...

I had a great night, no regrets on the choosing Cheshunt except that a few more man would have been much appreciated. I was missing some of our Hipsters friends...but were they missing us?? Great to meet Dilly, Gill and Witty Bird at last.

Good work on the part of Robin for dancing and DJ-ing, I have never seen a more immaculately timed arrival at the deck to press the cue button than the one after our dance .

Music was good, a bit poppy for me at first but I loved the last hour. Thanks Robin. Well done to Dilly and Sheepy in the DWAS comp.

I had some fab dances, lots of experimentation something to do with the space I think. The locals were very friendly I had some great dances with them. Last night I felt more able to appreciate the uniqueness of each of the dancers I danced with. I don't know why, it just happened.

Highlights include :

Stupendous penguin walk with a perfect pause on the break from ESG.
    Lush penguin walks from Sparkles she is the Mistress of that
    Stewart38's syncopated walks
    DJ's cross-body moves with hairpulling,
    Yogi's smooth lead,
    Tessalucious for a yummy dance and letting me rub her (but not so hard that bits fell off)
    Sheepy's amazing break where we held our breath,
    Kev F's lush cha cha lead ,
    SilverFox's foxy moves....(my knees were trembling from sitting on the floor during the DWAS - honest!)

Thanks everyone .
    A good night indeed, definitely need more men next time though.

ZW

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra Woman

Highlights include :

Stewart38's syncopated walks

Thanks everyone .
    A good night indeed, definitely need more men next time though.

ZW

Yes learnt something new thanks

Now got to remember it

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Locket
    i'm working in luton tomorrow, so it would make sense to not come all the way back home to northampton & drive all the way down again to Cheshunt. I don't tend to leave work till late anyway. I can get washed & changed there. Would anyone like to meet up for a drink beforehand?
    So much for the perceived attraction of the Luton Freestyle. FWIW I enjoyed it, although I could not manage the class given by Emma, which involved Tango and cha-cha footwork that most of the guys in the class could not see.

As a suggestion, a couple of slow walk throughs of the routine in the centre of the dancefloor with the class in a circle observing the footwork before the usual stage tuition would have been very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    Certainly it seems as busy as ever - too much so, from what people say
    Actually there was more room last night than usual because of Beach Boogie.

I doubt it's in much danger of closing any time soon.
    We plan to keep going as long as people keep coming.

lately people haven't really been having a good night at Hipsters
    Erm, yes they have! Else it wouldn't be as popular as it is. People travel in from miles around - they wouldn't do that if it wasn't worth the trip. Once again people stayed right up until 1am.

Any musical grumbles I've had (and they are few) seem to be from those that want mainly slower or mainly latin stuff. And although I've increased the amount of slower/latin tunes in my sets nowadays to reflect this, I have found most dancers want variety with a proper mix with fast & slow tunes thrown in covering all types & years and challenges.

Every month I bring in a bunch of new tunes. Remember that fire, vem vet, james hunter, russia with love, won't you join me for a drink, would you tango, etc. (I'm not giving away my more recent discoveries) were all played at Hipsters first.

Hipsters attracts good dancers, but like all venues, we get the occasional random in flip-flops, but hey, that's entertainment!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Brett
    Actually there was more room last night than usual because of Beach Boogie.
    It was my first time there, and I must admit I was expecting it to be busier.

It was, however, *far* too busy for people to be doing aerials. And overall, the floorcraft was generally one of the lowest standards in any venue I've attended recently - I can only think of one worse evening from the point of view of not being able to concentrate on dancing because I was constantly looking out to avoid crashes (at one point literally craning over my shoulder while a particularly oblivious partner decided a backward walk would be a good idea ) I don't really understand why it was so bad if Hipsters was quieter than usual. It seemed to thin out quite considerably after 1130 or so but I'd stopped dancing by then - it all seemed like too much hard work.

As I said above, the music was great - but the evening just didn't come together for me.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Erm, yes they have! Else it wouldn't be as popular as it is. People travel in from miles around - they wouldn't do that if it wasn't worth the trip. Once again people stayed right up until 1am.
    Oops, yes, that was a gross over-generalisation. What I meant to say was that "Lately, some of the people I talk to or who post on the forum haven't seemed to be having as good a time". Obviously that's a small subset. The Awkward Squad, one might call them...

Any musical grumbles I've had (and they are few) seem to be from those that want mainly slower or mainly latin stuff.
    Well, that's because us grumblers have style, obviously.
    Hmmm... whilst I do want 100% Latin, all night, and do indeed complain when I don't get my own way, I think there's also a case for saying that, especially in hot venues on hot days, playing more of the slower stuff is appropriate.

Hipsters attracts good dancers, but like all venues, we get the occasional random in flip-flops, but hey, that's entertainment!
    Aboslutely.

I was responding to Minnie M's question: "Has Hipsters had it's day?", and my answer, if not clear then, was "No.". But having said that; for me, the extra edge it had over some other venues is now less clear than it was, say, a year ago.

This could be just because I've got more picky in the past year though, or that other venues have improved more relatively, it's all subjective. But the fact that 20+ forumites decided to go to Cheshunt could be seen as a sign that they feel the same way. Or it could be just Adam's evil marketing ploy was successful.

Quote Originally Posted by LMC
    And overall, the floorcraft was generally one of the lowest standards in any venue I've attended recently
    Strange - usually it attracts very good dancers, with reasonable floorcraft IMO. Maybe a lot of good dancers were at Beach Boogie...

Thanks JB - I love Friday Hipsters, even when crowded I still have a good time - the standard of dancing is quite high and I love the swing & latin mix with the pop, so all are happy, and the atmospher is always good. Glad to hear it's not loosing it's popularity, will try and make it in October

Are they still doing Aerials I thought that stopped - why can't someone ban these selfish people.

BTW bad floorcraft can happen on any dance floor, it doesn't have to be crowded. In fact when there is more space, these inconsiderate dancers are far worse

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Well, it was our first time at Hipsters, it was nice to see some femiliar faces We though it was fab the music was good with somthing for all, just one tune missing Body Rockers, I like the way you move
    We didn't know what to expect some people told us its friendly 'up north' well we didn't find that every one was very friendly, and warmer than Stockport non of us got a refusal and we had some loverly dances with some loverly men, just whish I had been introduced to any forum members
    I did get two dances with guy's doing inappropriate moves (even for me) don't think they will try them on me again

We are 'up north' tonight at Northwich but not expecting the leavel of dances that we had last night

We will be back

The 4 girls from Stafford

IGood question. Certainly it seems as busy as ever - too much so, from what people say - so I doubt it's in much danger of closing any time soon. A good night at Hipsters would definitely have been a special experience - but the trouble is that lately people haven't really been having a good night at Hipsters; various factors at play, but certainly having lots of people in a naturally hot room is not much fun.

For me, the last couple of BFFFs weren't as much fun for me as, say, a year ago. I dunno, maybe we're expecting too much now from the place?
    Well I have to disagree, last night was FAB, as were the last few phat Friday's, that room is NOT naturally hot, in fact I have been cold in it, of course not last night but it was a bloody hot day yesterday, as it is today.

It was certainly less crowded, no doubt due to BB and to us having a choice of venues. it always gets quieter after 11.30 as a number of people travel by public transport.

As for floorcraft - well, I get a lot more bashed at other venues, didn't get hurt at all last night, the music was FAB, did a few cha cha's to the latin, awesome, so well done JB.

A very special night indeed.

It was so lovely to meet all the forumites at Cheshunt and put faces to the names. I was made to feel so welcome and had superb dances with all, although none shall ever compare to the dance I recently had with Andy McGregor

Special thanks to tessalicious for her flawless dancing in DWAS and to all who suffered my cha-cha's. The music was fab after the first hour and the floor space was an unexpected gift from the normal friday night freestlye congestion. Have to agree with ZW and Idid feel I appreciated everyones dancing more and there were some very good vibrations going on. Sorry there wasn't a few more men for you ladies

Oh....and the hostess was a dream as always!!! And if you ever need a HFM...I'm your man.

Thread Information