Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: open-plan aargh!

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Re: open-plan aargh!

Quote Originally Posted by mooncalf
    Here's a report on some research that suggests that we may hear differently with our left and right ears. Of course I found it on the internet so it may all be nonsense.
    http://newsroom.ucla.edu/page.asp?RelNum=5480
    Sounds plausible, but the fact that it's dated September 2004 means it's fairly cutting edge stuff, and so not necessarily widely accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducasi
    Something to do with the wave-forms being inverted and how your brain is used to processing the sounds I think. Or was that when you mess up the wiring to your speakers???
    Yes, if you invert the phase of just one speaker (out of two) - by getting the cable the wrong way around, or just one earphone (harder to do) then the stereo 'image' is wrecked and music can sound very wierd.

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    Hope that's of interest.
    Of great. However I now have a more pressing query, if I turn up to a salsa night, too late for the lesson, having only done one little tiny bit of lesson previously, what are the chances of my being able to follow salsa from the moment I step onto the dance floor...?

Here's a report on some research that suggests that we may hear differently with our left and right ears. Of course I found it on the internet so it may all be nonsense.
    That's the sort of stuff I was thinking off... I guess it's interrelated to the way we all tend to have a preference for which ear to listen on a telephone, and why you'll see people switch ear to concentrate to what the person is saying.

Apparently your left brain processes language-based sound, and your right brain does the rest. Which would imply that speech is better understood by the left ear, and music by the right.

So maybe this (unconsciously) influenced the traditional layout of orchestras, and also the sound balance created by a good sound engineers?

And, speaking only for myself, I found that my iPod earpieces stopped causing me random yet excrutiating pain roughly every other day, *after* I noticed the little 'L' on one and the 'R' on the other.
    I've found that headphones hurt my ears – when they're the right way round. Being left-handed, maybe my brain is wired differently and I should try them the wrong way round...
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

I am hearing you...

My ears block regularly, usually one or the other and occasionally both together. I have noticed that I will avoid social situations even when I can't hear through just one of them. I also find I may cancel dancing because I know I won't enjoy it. Of course, the latter could be because of both the musical interpretation side of it and/or the social interaction.

My dad suffers from this too and we have both said that when the one ear is blocked, it's frustrating how you can hear certain noises but not decipher the ones you are really wanting/needing to focus on.

I have never tried to work out which ear affects which problems before, but I am intrigued now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    Now Now....It's been proved that listening to music in an office environment increases concentration and improves productivity.

I have a very short attention span and listening to the radio (with one earphone) keeps me working for ages and stops my mind wondering.

I can still hear people (if they talk to me) and answer the phone (but not at the same time).

Lee

....And going by all of the above we have discussed... I wonder if Lee feels he has to wear the one earphone in any particular ear so that he is still able to concentrate on his work and/or be easily contactable?....

Sounds plausible, but the fact that it's dated September 2004 means it's fairly cutting edge stuff, and so not necessarily widely accepted.
    People accept a lot of old nonsense as truth.
    Last edited by mooncalf; 20th-August-2005 at 01:46 PM. Reason: tags

People accept a lot of old nonsense as truth.

Please post that one on the Starsigns thread?

Quote Originally Posted by JoC
    Of great. However I now have a more pressing query, if I turn up to a salsa night, too late for the lesson, having only done one little tiny bit of lesson previously, what are the chances of my being able to follow salsa from the moment I step onto the dance floor...?

We never answered your question JoC....I think the chances would be high if you are already a good follower of MJ..... Have you had the class yet? How did it go?

Quote Originally Posted by RachD
    How did it go?
    Was waaayyyyyyy too late for the class, slunk in well after 10 and had a great time after a slightly cautious start! Saw a couple of familiar faces there who were a huge help (don't know if either of them are on the forum but thanks guys ) and I asked a few other chaps to take pity on a first timer. They did and I think I got the hang of at least a handful beginners moves . Also got to watch a bit of rueda which was pretty impressive, the guys were so casual about the partner swops, throwing their women away then scooping the next one up without the slightest hesitation. All good stuff thanks for asking RachD!

Quote Originally Posted by JoC
    Was waaayyyyyyy too late for the class, slunk in well after 10 and had a great time after a slightly cautious start! Saw a couple of familiar faces there who were a huge help (don't know if either of them are on the forum but thanks guys ) and I asked a few other chaps to take pity on a first timer. They did and I think I got the hang of at least a handful beginners moves . Also got to watch a bit of rueda which was pretty impressive, the guys were so casual about the partner swops, throwing their women away then scooping the next one up without the slightest hesitation. All good stuff thanks for asking RachD!
    Fantastic!
    (I will pretend I know what Rueda is.... )

Thread Information