Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too Short Or Too Tall???

Donna

Too Short Or Too Tall???

Judging by what David James said.....

QUOTE=DAVIDJAMES]But I think you'll find that 5'6.5" is exactly the ideal height for a dancer.[QUOTE][/COLOR]

do you think smaller people look like better dancers? They appear to move faster and look more stylish whereas taller people tend to look slower and lack style. Do you think it has anything to do with height or do you think a taller person can make it look just as HOT by using a different technique in their dancing????
    Last edited by Donna; 17th-August-2005 at 12:51 PM. Reason: colour

Re: Too Short Or Too Tall???

As a tall person I am taking a violent aversion to the way this is phrased.

"Better" dancing is nothing to do with height and everything to do with skill and physical fitness.

Quote Originally Posted by NewKid

"Better" dancing is nothing to do with height and everything to do with skill and physical fitness.
    As an extremely tall person, technically a GIANT, who cares!

Quote Originally Posted by Donna
    do you think smaller people look like better dancers?
    What height is small or tall?

At an average 5'6" does this make me an average dancer? Will I be able to get better without wearing platforms?

I think it's all individual, some poeple shorter than me move beautifully whilst others look like they're not hearing the same music as I am. Same goes with taller people.

Registered User Purple Sparkler's Avatar

They appear to move faster and look more stylish
    Anyone who's ever done a blues class will tell you that style has NOTHING to do with speed. Slow or fast is immaterial- slow can look incredibly graceful. And fast can look messy.

Or height.

I'm way over DavidJames's 'ideal height' for a dancer, and don't usually get any complaints. In fact I get complimented on my style and musicality.

NewKid is right- it's not about height, it's about skill and working your goshdarn socks off at improving your technique both in execution of moves and in working on your style points so you look better.

Quote Originally Posted by Icey
    What height is small or tall?
    EXACTLY.

A very good question.

To a person of 6'8" everybody who is 6'5" is small.

Size is all relative.

Dance prowess and skill is a totally different matter. UNRELATED IMHO.

The way I've seen judges put it, the taller you are, the more visible everything is. Problem is, as they are usually focusing on the flaws (judging "down" from perfection), that isn't good for the taller competitor. And also many moves are technically more difficult when you're taller - you've got more to move and you have to move it further, but you only get the same time to do it.

A particular case is spinning. It's actually width rather than height that's really critical here, but assuming they scale together, my guesstimate is that the force required to do a spin in 1 beat scales as the fifth power of height. In other words, it takes twice as much force to spin at 5' than 5'9.

Of course, it's not all bad. Standing out on the dance floor is probably a good thing. Travelling moves look more impressive. And (IMHO) tall men doing aerials look a lot better than shorter men (more height -> more fright, to quote LilyB).

Hmmm, let's go for the controversial approach

I find that in general
    1). Shorter ladies spin better.
    2). Taller ladies are more graceful.

SpinDr.

Quote Originally Posted by spindr

I find that in general
    Or perhaps even simpler - small people do better with "fast" movements, tall people with "slow" ones. A lot of the US comps have a "child" (~6-12 years) category - and they seem to use a lot of sped-up tracks. Really wierd to hear a "chipmunk" version of a swing song you know well...

Quote Originally Posted by spindr

I find that in general

SpinDr.
    I wouldn't say that was controversial, especially when taken in conjunction with the evidence/experience of David F. Specifics are interesting (and useful...)

What I was objecting to was the staggeringly sweeping implication that shorter people tend to be "better" dancers and that taller people tend to lack style.

Possibly over-reacted just because in my case, both those happen to be mostly true - but I'm working damn hard to make sure that that changes...

The Oracle

Standing still looks the same no matter what the height. Why complicate things by moving?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB
    Standing still looks the same no matter what the height. Why complicate things by moving?
    OTOH I reckon I am best seen as a blur.

Donna

I'm tall as well you know and this is why I have brought the subject up. I think I might have phrased that wrong ' lack of style'. I've seen amazing tall dancers but ask a smaller dancer to do the same move the tall person did to a dance track and the smaller person somehow does it better. I get really self conscious about it as well....sometimes I wish I was just a bit smaller because then it's also easier to do more moves. Like Dave Franklin said:

Quote Originally Posted by DaveFranklin
    many moves are technically more difficult when you're taller - you've got more to move and you have to move it further, but you only get the same time to do it.
    I didn't start this thread off to criticise anybody's height or dancing so I'm sorry you took it the wrong way. I do beleive taller people are generally better at blues or any style that flow's because they make it look more fluid. When it comes down to fast tracks like fast latin music, pop or dance i tend to find smaller people have more power in their legs and it can look amazing!!!

Basically the reason for starting off this thread is to see if anyone knows of any techniques a taller person can use to make it look similar without overdoing it and making it look ridiculous????

What I was objecting to was the staggeringly sweeping implication that shorter people tend to be "better" dancers and that taller people tend to lack style.
    Noooo I have seen some taller people who are better dancers than short people but you but a tall couple and a smaller couple in the middle of the floor and put a fast track on, even though the taller couple may still be amazing, the smaller couple I think would still stand out.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Sparkler
    I'm way over DavidJames's 'ideal height' for a dancer,
    How come my tongue-in-cheek comments get abused so much?

My height is the ideal height for me. That's it.

We've had this "body size" discussion before - e.g. do you dance with fat people?. It never goes well...

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    We've had this "body size" discussion before - e.g. do you dance with fat people?. It never goes well...
    Yes but that was about fat people. This is about short and tall people. You know sometimes bringing starting off a thread like this can be quite dangerous. If I was to discuss this with someone face to face I would use a different tone which doesn't make it seem at all as bad as putting it on the forum because 'certain' people take it the wrong way.

Yes but that was about fat people. This is about short and tall people. You know sometimes bringing starting off a thread like this can be quite dangerous. If I was to discuss this with someone face to face I would use a different tone which doesn't make it seem at all as bad as putting it on the forum because 'certain' people take it the wrong way.
    Yeah, that would have been me. Why not just say so?

I stand by my opinion that your first post implied "short good, tall bad". Height is something we can do nothing about. I get self-conscious about my height sometimes too and was even told by an ex that I'm "too tall". Nice (NOT). As you are tall yourself, that makes the poorly thought out wording even worse.

Even your second post on the thread, which is much better explained seems to imply that "short good, tall bad":

Quote Originally Posted by donna
    Noooo I have seen some taller people who are better dancers than short people but you but a tall couple and a smaller couple in the middle of the floor and put a fast track on, even though the taller couple may still be amazing, the smaller couple I think would still stand out.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes but that was about fat people. This is about short and tall people.
    Oh, we had "do you dance with tall people?".
    And "do you dance with bald people?".
    And "do you dance with asses?".

And...

Believe me, we've done this. Lots.

Can't find the "tall people" one though for some reason. Maybe I'm too short or something

Can't find the "tall people" one though for some reason. Maybe I'm too short or something
    I think it went over your head... [rimshot!]

as I 've said before I never dance with tall people, they are all short ones.

Donna

Even your second post on the thread, which is much better explained seems to imply that "short good, tall bad":
    Newkid just how tall are you?? I'm 5'7, wish I was 5'5 or 5'6. And even though I have people telling me I'm a good dancer, I'm prepared to admit that the smaller person who was standing next to me during a fast track was better.

Thread Information