Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Health and beauty product tips

Re: Health and beauty product tips

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Locket
    what !!! NO lipstick !!!!!!!!!
    Well only at Beach Boogie and Rock Bottoms, but it depends on the theme nights

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles
    I don't know how all you girlies manage to stand inside a 'Lush' shop for long enough to make your purchases
    Lush is certainly great for blokes getting last minute pressies -- you don't even need to wrap some of them. I just have to resist the evil impulse to include a large wedge of "Buffy the Backside Slayer" -- something tells me that wouldn't be appreciated, even as a gift
    SpinDr.

What Sparkles said - going in Lush is just overwhelming - how can you tell what you want to buy, it's like testing 20 different perfumes at once and losing your sense of smell.

But
    Quote Originally Posted by spindr
    < snips stuff which is probably best ignored in the interests of world peace and harmony> "Buffy the Backside Slayer"
    That's it, I'm finding a clothes peg and going in to buy their entire stock of those.

Getting back on thread, my preferred lipstick brand is Oil of Olay - feels lovely although the staying power could be better...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Icey
    I'm a BIG fan of Clinique. ...... I only replace make up bits and bobs when it's bonus time so that I get the freebies.
    Clinique's a bit harsh for my peelywally northern face but I do love their Sparkle Skin body scrub because not only does it foam a bit, it's menthol and I'm an big fan of old fashioned menthol, camphor (Jo Malone Camphor Cleansing Cream - fab) and COAL TAR!!!!!(Neutrogena Rainbath anyone? - stateside only I'm afraid)

I also scour the dept stores to see who has the bonus on when I'm stocking up on my everyday stuff from Clarins, they have large travel sizes for two purchases and usually have an extra something under the counter for a third item!...unpacking a bagfull of freebie smellies is a lovely feeling - especially if the bonus was on at Boots and I remember to stick my card in the machine for the extra points voucher!!!

Registered User Purple Sparkler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spindr
    "Buffy the Backside Slayer"
    I'm very impressed you know what it's called.

Quote Originally Posted by NewKid
    That's it, I'm finding a clothes peg and going in to buy their entire stock of those.
    More sensible to buy one of the double-sized bars of it, one at a time. Their stuff has expiration dates, you see.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythm King
    Ordinary nights - "Allure Sport"
    Just wanted to say that I was priveleged to be allowed to smell RK's ordinary nights scent of choice last night at Fulham, and it's very nice on him.

I fear I may have knocked him unconscious with MY scent of choice for the evening though...

Glitter Queen

I just have to resist the evil impulse to include a large wedge of "Buffy the Backside Slayer" -- something tells me that wouldn't be appreciated, even as a gift
    IMO something that wouldn't be appreciated especially as a gift

... I guess that's one of those products that many of us feel we need but only find out about through close female friends who share their knowledge with us in the form of whispers - so that a) we don't think they're being rude and b) so that we know that they don't want other people to know that they feel they need to use it too
    (if you followed all that you're doing well )

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Sparkler
    More sensible to buy one of the double-sized bars of it, one at a time. Their stuff has expiration dates, you see.
    The amount I would need to use to make an, er, impact, they wouldn't have time to go out of date . There is a Lush in Covent Garden piazza so I might be brave enough to venture in there now so many different things have been recommended.

Since we're on beauty products - can anyone recommend a good *non-sticky* hand moisturiser - Vaseline Intensive Care is what I'm using at the moment, which isn't too bad - but my poor hands are really terrible at the moment (I suppose dry is better than sweaty, but they are starting to get really rough, which will make them not nice for partners to hold ).

PS, you are *so* in trouble for setting my mind on men in good aftershave... one of my weaknesses

Registered User Purple Sparkler's Avatar

PS, you are *so* in trouble for setting my mind on men in good aftershave... one of my weaknesses
    Don't worry, I'm sure RK will let you have a sniff on Saturday at Twyford.

Also- Lush do many nice hand things. Including a solid bar of hand lotiony stuff that's rather good but very oily.

If you go, make sure you talk to an assistant and tell them you've never been in before. 9 times out of 10 that means you get some free samples if you buy something. Or even if you HAVE been in before (last time I was trying to choose a soap, the assistant gave me a little bit of some of the others I could have chosen, just so I could see what they were like!). And let me know what you end up buying (I always get curious about what folk buy in Lush, being as it's my favourite shop)

... I just have to resist the evil impulse to include a large wedge of "Buffy the Backside Slayer" -- something tells me that wouldn't be appreciated, even as a gift
    SpinDr.
    Unless of course you use it on yourself ...

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Since we're on beauty products - can anyone recommend a good *non-sticky* hand moisturiser - Vaseline Intensive Care is what I'm using at the moment, which isn't too bad
    Moisturiser is just fat (oil) and water blended with an emulsifier. It works by leaving a layer of grease on your skin that reduces trans-epidermal water loss, since it's only water content that makes skin soft. Throw in some silicones to make it feel more or less slippery, some preservatives to stop it culturing bacteria and yeasts over the course of several months in warm dirty bathrooms, and some perfume. Package in an attractive but ultimately very cheap pot, mark up by several thousand percent and advertise to gullible women until the profits roll in.

E45 works well - and has exactly the same list of ingredients as moisturisers costing thirty times as much.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles
    (if you followed all that you're doing well )
    Duh?
    OK, I get it, that bit's just for the women to understand.
    And what are Men doing on this thread anyway?
    (Scratches self and goes back to hide in the shed, kicking neighbours cat on the way...)

Greg

Blog Entries

Since we're on beauty products - can anyone recommend a good *non-sticky* hand moisturiser -
    for night time with cotton sleeping gloves on - Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Cream - not sticky but scarily thick - buy from a website that imports from the US cos it's TWICE the US price here!!

(I put this on my feet most nights and have NO hard skin)

Daytime - back to my old friend Clarins - their hand and nail treatment is lovely, it's by far the most effective of the "thin" creams - Neutrogena Norwegian stuff isn't bad for the price.

C

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    < snips technical stuff which I'm well aware of which is why I buy Vaseline IC at £1.45 not some fancy French stuff at £14.50 >

E45 works well - and has exactly the same list of ingredients as moisturisers costing thirty times as much.
    E45 is good stuff but I find it just sits on my skin - and I hate that greasy feeling I think it contains lanolin (haven't got any handy to check) which my skin just 'rejects' - I'm not allergic, but it don't soak in.

Edit: having just seen Chicklet's post - thanks, think the cotton gloves thing would drive me MAD but will go and test your recommendations...

E45 is good, but if your hands are as bad as mine (which I doubt), you end up having to apply it about 20 times a day. My mum found a parafin jelly cream (looks like petroleum jelly but slightly thinner) which works well for me. Some people might find it too "greasy" though but I find other regular hand creams just don't do the job. Another tip for the cottom gloves thing (tried that by the way and woke up at 3a.m. with my hands feeling paper dry!) is to get those disposable plastic gloves or thos non-latex surgical type gloves, cut off the finger tips, slather your hands in the cream of your choice and stick them on when you go to bed. The cutting off of the finger tips allows some air into them, reducing the 'sweaty' hands side effect.

E45 is good stuff but I find it just sits on my skin - and I hate that greasy feeling I think it contains lanolin (haven't got any handy to check) which my skin just 'rejects' - I'm not allergic, but it don't soak in.

Edit: having just seen Chicklet's post - thanks, think the cotton gloves thing would drive me MAD but will go and test your recommendations...
    have a go at making your own, then. You get to choose your favourite oils that way. Have a look at www.soapdishforum.com for some recipe ideas. If you need help in sourcing some of the more 'obscure' ingredients - albeit that they aren't obscure at all - PM me.

As ESG pointed out, dry skin is made of cells that don't have enough lipids in the cell membrane to keep moisture in a cell. I reckon dry skin is best worked on from the inside of your body - try taking a good quality (organic if poss) wheatgerm oil supplement for a at least 2 - 3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks
    try taking a good quality (organic if poss) wheatgerm oil supplement for a at least 2 - 3 weeks.
    As opposed to all those poor quality, inorganic ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks
    As ESG pointed out, dry skin is made of cells that don't have enough lipids in the cell membrane to keep moisture in a cell. I reckon dry skin is best worked on from the inside of your body - try taking a good quality (organic if poss) wheatgerm oil supplement for a at least 2 - 3 weeks.
    Yes, I've heard that. My doctor once prescribed a course of Evening Primrose oil tablets, but I started putting on weight so I abandoned that one! My problem is that I've had eczema most of my life and that's why my hands are particularly dry, so I've tried most things by now.
    Anyway, as we seem to have completely strayed off the thread - I'll attempt to get it back on track by saying that my 'must have' beauty product is Avon's LipInk. It's by far the best stay-on lipstick that actually does what it says - and doesn't "feather" at the edges of your lips. Fantastic!!

Registered User Almost an Angel's Avatar
    Heaven of course, currently on secondment to purgatory

Since we're on beauty products - can anyone recommend a good *non-sticky* hand moisturiser - Vaseline Intensive Care is what I'm using at the moment, which isn't too bad - but my poor hands are really terrible at the moment (I suppose dry is better than sweaty, but they are starting to get really rough, which will make them not nice for partners to hold ).

I use Neutrogena hand cream, it's pricey (circa £4) but the tube lasts for ages and you only need a little as it's concentrated. I find it works very well.

I'm also using Neutrogena Nourishing Body Moisture Lotion which i'm finding is great and helping with some of my ezcema patches, they're not gone but hey we don't expect miracles do we!

Chicklet - I'm slowly building up a supply of Neutrogena rainbath but they're only the traavel sizes I'm afraid - The hotels I stay in when I travel for work keep stocking them so I keep 'borrowing' them.

Angel x

Quote Originally Posted by Pink Lady
    Yes, I've heard that. My doctor once prescribed a course of Evening Primrose oil tablets, but I started putting on weight so I abandoned that one! My problem is that I've had eczema most of my life and that's why my hands are particularly dry, so I've tried most things by now.
    Anyway, as we seem to have completely strayed off the thread - I'll attempt to get it back on track by saying that my 'must have' beauty product is Avon's LipInk. It's by far the best stay-on lipstick that actually does what it says - and doesn't "feather" at the edges of your lips. Fantastic!!
    Sorry to be continuing with straying off the thread...but..Yes I found this with evening primrose too...I now take Starflower Oil capsules=1000mg...which is fabulous for the skin, great for womens health (as its higher in GLA then evening primrose oil), & joints. Anything with oils in, is good for the skin ie Omega 3 Oils or high strength fish oils. Try eating more Oily fishes during the week..see if this improves the skin condition (& salmons great for memory too ;-)
    I'll shutup now....so you can go back on track..

Thread Information