Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ouch!

Little Miss Jazz Shoes Jazz_Shoes (Ash)'s Avatar

Ouch!

I managed to somehow get meself a sore knee last night whilst dancing, but I managed to carry on 'till the end of the night ...just one problem...it's still sore today! I'll be dancing in less that 3 hours! so can anyone offer any advice about a quick fix? I can rest it tomorrow

Any advice welcome

Ash x

Re: Ouch!

Ash, this isn't what you want to hear - but don't do it - rest NOW.

I have an old knee injury from my netball days (disclocated it and tore 2 ligaments). I had loads of physio and generally don't have *any* trouble - but there is a weakness there which I notice a) on some yoga poses and b) when doing dips and taking the weight on my right leg - it's OK - but I just don't quite trust it sometimes - and I don't know until it's "too late"!

Knees are funny things... my *other* knee also plays up occasionally for no good reason. My doctor put it cutely - "knees are jealous".

Bear in mind the advice from the sunscreen song... "Be kind to your knees, you'll miss them when they are gone"

Quote Originally Posted by NewKid
    Ash, this isn't what you want to hear - but don't do it - rest NOW.

I have torn ligaments in my knees (and I am no athlete) and they take a long, long, long , long time to get back to an acceptable level. I don't think they ever fully recover.

Don't risk it. You will have a long time to rue it if you do damage them - you are too young for that. Don't jeapordise a life-time of dancing.

Clive

Little Miss Jazz Shoes Jazz_Shoes (Ash)'s Avatar

Thanks for your info, and sorry about your ailments so to speak, i'll see how it goes, maybe dancing will help to losen it up or sumfin, it's not like it's swolen or anything Besides it is Salsa (which I NEVER done b4) so I prob won't be dancing much. Meeting up with friends that I hardly get to see

Ash x

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
    Thanks for your info, and sorry about your ailments so to speak, i'll see how it goes, maybe dancing will help to losen it up or sumfin,
    Err, probably not.

Seriously, if your knees go, you're totally f***ed - take it from us oldies, look after them, especially when dancing.

I managed to somehow get meself a sore knee last night whilst dancing, but I managed to carry on 'till the end of the night ...just one problem...it's still sore today! I'll be dancing in less that 3 hours! so can anyone offer any advice about a quick fix? I can rest it tomorrow

Any advice welcome

Ash x
    Depends on where it hurts and when it hurts. If it is just the knee as a whole a short rest may suffice but you really should rest.

If you feel pain on outside and inside of your knee, in particular when you walk down stairs etc. then it may well be iliotibial band friction syndrome(ITBFS), which can take ages to heal if you don't rest until it has gone!

So in any case: rest while you, rather than rest while you must!

Hi all with knee problems. I had knee pain that started before christmas. I work with doctors and thought, hmm, don't want to see one of them, what will they possibly be able to do? finally, after 6 months of pain, I saw one, who referred me to physio. After 3 months of excercises, and to be honest, not really very much or many exercises, my knee is almost fully recovered. I can walk up and down stairs pain free - which sounds crazy but is fantastic. I wish I hadn't put up with it so long. One of the main things the physio told me was the importance of stretching. My knees are always stiff in the morning, and the first flight of stairs was always a killer. A ten second stretch of each leg in the morning and this no longer hurts.

So, yes, rest, to an extent, use ice esp if there is swelling - peas wrapped in a damp tea towel, for a max of 10 mins. Do not excercise - or dance - through pain. Stretch before and after dancing, warm up, stretch after a bit of warming up (I am sure any of you gym regulars will have more info on this).

I hope this helps

Dancers are the fittest people I know BUT they always carry injuries, and one injury can stop you dancing for ever.

Remember to warm up and stretch before you start. Pain is a warning sign. Do NOT ignore it. Take medical advice and do the exercises.

Knees ankles and backs are beyond medical repair at the moment dont risk dancing for one dance.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerR
    Remember to warm up and stretch before you start. Pain is a warning sign. Do NOT ignore it. Take medical advice and do the exercises.

Knees ankles and backs are beyond medical repair at the moment dont risk dancing for one dance.

and don't just resort to drugs and dancing thru hidden pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballroom queen
    Hi all with knee problems. I had knee pain that started before christmas. I work with doctors and thought, hmm, don't want to see one of them, what will they possibly be able to do? finally, after 6 months of pain, I saw one, who referred me to physio. After 3 months of excercises, and to be honest, not really very much or many exercises, my knee is almost fully recovered. I can walk up and down stairs pain free - which sounds crazy but is fantastic. I wish I hadn't put up with it so long. One of the main things the physio told me was the importance of stretching. My knees are always stiff in the morning, and the first flight of stairs was always a killer. A ten second stretch of each leg in the morning and this no longer hurts.

So, yes, rest, to an extent, use ice esp if there is swelling - peas wrapped in a damp tea towel, for a max of 10 mins. Do not excercise - or dance - through pain. Stretch before and after dancing, warm up, stretch after a bit of warming up (I am sure any of you gym regulars will have more info on this).

I hope this helps
    to all the above. I would recommend "Stretching" by Bob Anderson, ISBN: 072071351X. It's very clear and well organised according to the sport / injury.

It's tedious but it works.My only extra advice would be when you go to a physio ask them what is wrong and why doing the exercises they recommend will improve the situation. If they can't explain both clearly I wouldn't trust 'em.

We may all seem moaning doom-sayers but we really have your best interests at heart

[QUOTE=Clive Long
    It's tedious but it works.My only extra advice would be when you go to a physio ask them what is wrong and why doing the exercises they recommend will improve the situation. If they can't explain both clearly I wouldn't trust 'em.

[/QUOTE]

My physio was Fab, drew me lots of diagrams and explained it all, and it worked. (and all on the NHS )

good luck

I would agree with all the advice of resting it and not dancing. Pain is a signal that something is wrong and you need to be careful you don't add further damage.

I very occasionally get a sore knee. I don't know why - its almost always been when carrying something heavy like a suitcase up/down stairs so I think I might twist it. Its only happened about 4 or 5 times but when it does happen I rest it as much as possible, wear a support bandage if I have to walk on it, and its usually ok in a day or so.

Hope your knee is feeling better soon.

Donna

Any advice welcome

Ash x
    Hi Ash.

Yep pain certainly is a warning and you should never ignore it. Sometimes you have to learn to listen to your body, which a lot of people don't and only regret it later on in life.

I suffer sometimes with my right knee. My mum had been dancing for many years and she suffered as well. What it was, was her cartilidge had been wearing away so it was then bone against bone. sometimes when she walks up and down the stairs you can hear it clicking away.

The best advice we were both given is to sit on the floor, legs straight out in front of you. Keep a straight back but lean back ever so slightly with hands flat out on floor either side of you to support you. Pointing the toes, lift the leg up and down using your own resistance. You can also open up a catalogue to the centre pages and place it on top of your ankle then do it. What this does is build muscle around the knee so it strengthens it up, then for those who feel there knees are weak, will no longer need to worry. You can do anything! It may be a bit sore for the first couple of days of trying it but just try 20 every other day (3-4 times a week) and it should be fine. H

Happy dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Donna
    Hi Ash.

Yep pain certainly is a warning and you should never ignore it. Sometimes you have to learn to listen to your body, which a lot of people don't and only regret it later on in life.

I suffer sometimes with my right knee. My mum had been dancing for many years and she suffered as well. What it was, was her cartilidge had been wearing away so it was then bone against bone. sometimes when she walks up and down the stairs you can hear it clicking away.

The best advice we were both given is to sit on the floor, legs straight out in front of you. Keep a straight back but lean back ever so slightly with hands flat out on floor either side of you to support you. Pointing the toes, lift the leg up and down using your own resistance. You can also open up a catalogue to the centre pages and place it on top of your ankle then do it. What this does is build muscle around the knee so it strengthens it up, then for those who feel there knees are weak, will no longer need to worry. You can do anything! It may be a bit sore for the first couple of days of trying it but just try 20 every other day (3-4 times a week) and it should be fine. H

Happy dancing.

I also suffer from a bad knee (damaged whilst dancing! ), but if I did Donna's excercises, it would make it worse! I suffer from a muscle imbalance and the last thing that the physio wanted me to do was to make my muscles even stronger. Suggest you get to see a physio straight away for some further advice.

Having also had a problem with my pelvis (common with us Ladies!), my chiropractor thought my knee problem could have started this off, although the opposite could also be true!

Good luck with it anyway!

Elaine

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineB
    Having also had a problem with my pelvis (common with us Ladies!), my chiropractor thought my knee problem could have started this off, although the opposite could also be true!
    I used to work in a doctors surgery and one of them told me that that is a load of nonsence. Your knee, hip, elbow or shoulder are in no way connected.

It's true that exercise or stretching can relieve such conditions. I've just pulled a muscle in my shoulder and my doctor told me to keep dancing because it will keep it loose. Also try Ibuprofen gel before you dance. This stuff is marvelous!!!!!

TiggsTours

Thanks for your info, and sorry about your ailments so to speak, i'll see how it goes, maybe dancing will help to losen it up or sumfin, it's not like it's swolen or anything Besides it is Salsa (which I NEVER done b4) so I prob won't be dancing much. Meeting up with friends that I hardly get to see

Ash x

No, no, no! Please rest it now! Knees are funny old things, and if you've done something, it could be rest it tonight through choice, or rest it for months because you're forced to! Also, salsa, with all its footwork, is actually quite demanding on the old knee joints, you'd be better off doing something you're used to, or as everyone's saying, ideally nothing!

TiggsTours

I used to work in a doctors surgery and one of them told me that that is a load of nonsence. Your knee, hip, elbow or shoulder are in no way connected.

It's true that exercise or stretching can relieve such conditions. I've just pulled a muscle in my shoulder and my doctor told me to keep dancing because it will keep it loose. Also try Ibuprofen gel before you dance. This stuff is marvelous!!!!!

Funny, I have dodgy feet, and due to that my whole skeleton has been pulled (everso slightly) out of line, this has been confirmed by 2 physios, doctor & sports therapist. They have given me weak ankles, bad knees, hips that hurt from time to time, and a bad back, which causes headaches!

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by TiggsTours
    They have given me weak ankles, bad knees, hips that hurt from time to time, and a bad back, which causes headaches!
    The feet that is, not the 2 pysios, doctor and sports therapist!

My mum had been dancing for many years and she suffered as well. What it was, was her cartilidge had been wearing away so it was then bone against bone. sometimes when she walks up and down the stairs you can hear it clicking away.
    OK you've frightened me enough to actually do something! My knee does this now so I've called up the private healthcare that my employer provides to get the paperwork to arrange a GP referral to a physiotherapist

I want to dance but with several kneecap dislocations already through the years the last thing I want is more injuries. I'll be down at the GP surgery as soon as I get the forms.

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Icey
    OK you've frightened me enough to actually do something! My knee does this now so I've called up the private healthcare that my employer provides to get the paperwork to arrange a GP referral to a physiotherapist

I want to dance but with several kneecap dislocations already through the years the last thing I want is more injuries. I'll be down at the GP surgery as soon as I get the forms.
    Wise decision Icey. Wise decision.

Thread Information