Thread: Those nasty people at Quicktime

Those nasty people at Quicktime

Possibly following links from these pages, I have been watching Quicktime videos from dancetutor.com. These are lindy hop moves which resonate with me.

But those nasty people from Quicktime are making it very difficult for me to save those video files to my machine in a way which allows me to view them as and when I wish whilst offline. They're stored there somewhere, as I can access them through Internet Explorer in offline mode; but searches for .mov files (even those revealed by by "source" examination) come up with nothing relevant.

Any of you techies got an answer to this ????

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Re: Those nasty people at Quicktime

If you upgrade to Quicktime Pro this is a menu option. Except (I think) if the movie is set to forbid complete downloads. In which case you could try this, as long as you're using a Mac.

Good luck.

On the first page there's a image that you can click which starts a movie...

By looking at the source I found that the image was called something like 1stpage.mov, and the movie was called "L-whip.mov" I then asked my browser to download http://www.dancetutor.com/L-whip.mov which it did, and I've now got it on my disk.

I guess all the other ones you want can be downloaded the same way...

The static image was the "SRC=" part of the OBJECT, and the actual movie was the "HREF=" part.

Hope this helps...

Cheers!
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Those "nasty people at Quicktime" are trying to protect the clip owners copyright, which is one reason people buy their software. As other contributors have pointed out it is a futile exercise, especially if the site creators do not know how to protect their files properly.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver
    Those "nasty people at Quicktime" are trying to protect the clip owners copyright, which is one reason people buy their software...
    In this case, those "nasty people at Quicktime" a.k.a Apple, are trying to make a quick buck by making you part with money to get simple features that should be in the basic version (IMHO.) If you "go pro" they would allow to save the already downloaded file without having to jump through hoops.

If the web site creators wanted to secure their movies from easy-ish downloading, they would serve them as "streaming" movies, but they didn't, which says to me that either they don't realise how easy it is to download their movies, or they don't mind.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi
    In this case, those "nasty people at Quicktime" a.k.a Apple, are trying to make a quick buck by making you part with money to get simple features that should be in the basic version (IMHO.) If you "go pro" they would allow to save the already downloaded file without having to jump through hoops.

If the web site creators wanted to secure their movies from easy-ish downloading, they would serve them as "streaming" movies, but they didn't, which says to me that either they don't realise how easy it is to download their movies, or they don't mind.
    If the web site designers did not mind people having their movies I cannot see why they are paying Apple to make them, or am I wrong about that? I think ignorance is the likely explanation.

Meglio del Cioccolato Demo

They don't pay Apple to make them, they just encode the movies in the format that Quicktime, software made by Apple, can read.

Quote Originally Posted by azande
    They don't pay Apple to make them, they just encode the movies in the format that Quicktime, software made by Apple, can read.
    Is the encoder program free?

Meglio del Cioccolato Demo

An easier way of getting the movies would just be to right-click on the link for the movie and choose "save link as"

afaik the format is not proprietary, no idea about the encoder.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

this is a good website that explains encoders it states the QT encoder is "not quite free".

Its also worth noting that streaming video doesnt stop you saving a copy, just use something like Fraps to record the screen. Just like a video recorder .

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver
    Is the encoder program free?
    No, you need QuickTime Pro for it. However, forking out that small fee for QTP is well worth it.

If they had really wanted to stop people from downloading the files they had streamed the movies.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Streaming only makes it harder. If you can see or hear something on your computer you can copy it, its as simple as that.

Ceroc DJ

Talking of Quicktime, has anyone noticed Apple is now following the MS route - says that quicktime is only availble with itunes for windows xp - but you can download for win98 a version without itunes ...... which of course works perfectly well with windows xp

Why can;t they just be truthfull aka " we don;t want you to download quicktime on your newer pc unless we can give you are music shop at the same time - irrespective of the fact that its 20 mb of stuff that you don't use or want"

Ahhh the wonders of a highly competitive market

Thread Information