View Poll Results: Who is going to WCS at Kent House tonight?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Me, I wouldn't miss it

4 36.36%
  • I would love to but can't tonight ...

5 45.45%
  • Other

2 18.18%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WCS - Wed nights in Hammersmith

Re: WCS - Wed nights in Hammersmith

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Sparkler
    Well, what's to stop some of the London forumites getting together and organising one? What do you need for a weekender except:
    a) Accomodation
    b) A hall in which to teach (you only need one if it's purely WCS, surely)
    c) Teachers
    d) Some willing DJs for the evening.

There must be a way to do this, people. Every London forumite knows there are lots of good dance venues in London, all you'd need to do would be decide WHERE you wanted to hold the weekender, see if you could book the time at the venue, then persuade lots of teachers to come and do a couple of masterclasses for different levels, and find (just a thought) a youth hostel that you can book up a few dorms in. Or a hotel. Or both- look at MJC and Southport, and their differing classes of accomodation.

I looked at accomodation in the midlands/northampton area to a) get away from the London/south coast bias for a our northern friends (even though I live in Kent) and b) so that our scottish friends would be able to get cheap flights into Luton and get to a venue by a bus that we charter.

I have looked at univeristy and further education establishments that may have accomodation and suitable rooms in the student holidays. The thing that makes it all fall over is that the accomdation is all (r almost all) single rooms. I just can't imagine that dance couples will want to spend the weekend apart (the singletons won't mind to not be charged a single room supplament for a change).

The only other idea was (as PS has just said above) was to find a reasonably priced hotel near to the teaching halls. I have been trying internet searches but in truth there would be nothing to beat local knowledge.

So are there any people out there that can think of somewhere that fits the bill?

It is really hard to get away from the fact that slightly run down seaside resorts have cheapish hotel accomodation out of the main season and that older hotels often have a ballroom.

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Sparkler
    Well, what's to stop some of the London forumites getting together and organising one? What do you need for a weekender except:
    a) Accomodation
    b) A hall in which to teach (you only need one if it's purely WCS, surely)
    c) Teachers
    d) Some willing DJs for the evening.

There must be a way to do this, people. Every London forumite knows there are lots of good dance venues in London, all you'd need to do would be decide WHERE you wanted to hold the weekender, see if you could book the time at the venue, then persuade lots of teachers to come and do a couple of masterclasses for different levels, and find (just a thought) a youth hostel that you can book up a few dorms in. Or a hotel. Or both- look at MJC and Southport, and their differing classes of accomodation.
    Right then. I nominate you to sort it out. I'll even allow you to make a profit on the event, if you price it right.

As Rock Bottoms already have the blueprint for such an idea, and, probably some kind of database of possible locations from their original research when developing the 'Cheeky Little Weekender', how about suggesting the idea to them?

M

Quote Originally Posted by Mary
    As Rock Bottoms already have the blueprint for such an idea, and, probably some kind of database of possible locations from their original research when developing the 'Cheeky Little Weekender', how about suggesting the idea to them?

M
    Already talked to Andy and Tor (and very helpful they were too). Thye haven't said no and have at least said they would investigate the idea. They have the infrastructure to run weekenders (they already know what they are doing and have the contacts) and quite frankly I think I would be out of my depth.

The thing that makes me push on is the thought that I should stop wishing that something would happen, get off my behind and at least see how far I can get.

By far, the best solution would be for some professional organiser (like Tor and Andy) to take on the project, perhaps making it a combined WCS and Blues weekend if there is not enough interest for a pure WCS or blues weekend alone.

Until that happens I will keep exploring the possibilites.
    Last edited by Chef; 17th-August-2005 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chef
    The thing that makes me push on is the thought that I should stop wishing that something would happen, get off my behind and at least see how far I can get.

Good on yer. Sounds like you may have just pushed the ball hard enough to get it rolling. Let's all hope so and maybe put some pressure on Andy, Tor and team to convince them there would be a market for it.

M

Thread Information