View Poll Results: Where will you be this Friday?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hipsters BFFF

24 47.06%
  • Cheshunt DWAS

10 19.61%
  • Somewhere else, details below

9 17.65%
  • Staying in washing my hair

8 15.69%
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Hipsters/Cheshunt or OTHER this Friday?

Re: Hipsters/Cheshunt or OTHER this Friday?

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    It sounds far too hotshottish, and I'm already enjoying that martyred not-invited-to-the-party feeling. So best not ask me along.

Oh but wait - you didn't! Perfect!
    I hate to burst your equine bubble, but it would seem you would have to be invited to ANY dance party - elite or not - because....................... doh - THE CAKES!!!

Perhaps you should invest in a red dress as well, just to make sure.

Oh, somebody reassure me that this thread has now got so silly that no one is talking seriously.

(Think it's time to duck and take cover - tell me when it's safe to come out).

A cowardly
    M

That's quite right - silly me - crowded dance floor be damned. I've paid *my* money and I'm bloody well going to do aerials and dips'n'drops all night because that's what *I've* paid for. (OKAY?) And sod the rest of you.
    Now you are being silly never mentioned aerials etc.

Really, what is the difference between dancing every single track, and using up room by doing big moves, aerials etc if in both cases the dance floor is too crowded for it to be comfortable?
    There is a big difference in my opinion. Doing big moves and aerials on crowded floor is dangerous where as dancing every track is obviously not.

Is that difference enough.

How would you "police" your plan to sit out every so many dances and what would happen if you got out of dance sinc with someone you really wanted to dance with. Silly idea very silly idea.

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by under par
    Now you are being silly never mentioned aerials etc.
    Duh... yes of course I'm being silly.
    There is a big difference in my opinion. Doing big moves and aerials on crowded floor is dangerous where as dancing every track is obviously not.
    Ask all the people who were trodden on with stiletto heels because of overcrowding whether it was dangerous or not.
    Is that difference enough.
    No, not really.
    How would you "police" your plan to sit out every so many dances and what would happen if you got out of dance sinc with someone you really wanted to dance with. Silly idea very silly idea.
    I don't feel any need to police any plan, since I'm not the one complaining that 'something must be done' about crowded venues. But since you ask, everyone gets a coloured token at the start of the evening - red, blue, green or yellow. An indicator board shows which colour in turn has to sit out each track. If you want to dance with someone of a different colour there are two out of each four tracks that you can do that. Or you can swap tokens with someone else.

Simple really.

Oh, and anyone who doesn't display a correctly coloured token, or fails to diplay a token at all gets fined by the wardens who patrol.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So best not ask me along.

Oh but wait - you didn't! Perfect!
    Hold on a minute do you know someting I don't Cos I've not been invited to 'anything' yet either!

I can see us all getting paranoid!

Right, where's everyone going this weekend? I demand to know!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Duh... yes of course I'm being silly.Ask all the people who were trodden on with stiletto heels because of overcrowding whether it was dangerous or not.
    To be honest I didn't find it too bad -- especially if you kept away from the cool kidz zone, i.e. the half of the room closest the stage.

Only duff point was when I was shoved between the shoulder blades toward the end of the evening -- obviously, I'd transgressed by dancing in someone else's space. Usually, I tend to find that a gentle hand on the back suffices to ward off inadvertant collisions.

Music was fine to me --- some of my friends found it "too unusual".

And of course the best dancers don't go and eat beforehand -- they pay extra and go to the salsa lesson.

SpinDr.
    P.S. I did notice one lady from the salsa event later on -- and have noticed a few previously -- I think that they wander in later without a ticket (and make it very slightly more crowded).

Quote Originally Posted by Lory
    Right, where's everyone going this weekend? I demand to know!
    Start a poll...

Travel 50 miles not to dance? and to a place where there is not room to really Dance? Why not just pay extra so that those that do not value a quality experience do not come and the organisers make enough money to run more nights?

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver
    Travel 50 miles not to dance? and to a place where there is not room to really Dance? Why not just pay extra so that those that do not value a quality experience do not come and the organisers make enough money to run more nights?
    Because most people agree that what makes an evening is having the right people to dance with (along with the right music.) There's no certainty that the people one want's to dance with - the better dancers, say - are the ones who "value a quality experience" and will pay more for it. You might easily price out the good dancers and keep the flip-flopers and anyone else for whom £12, £15, £20, £25 or whatever still seems cheap for a night out in Ealing.

Also your making a presumption that the organiser would run more nights, if only they were making more money. Seeing as JB already said that cash wasn't the primary objective of Hipsters I don't think that's a fair assumption.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spindr
    And of course the best dancers don't go and eat beforehand -- they pay extra and go to the salsa lesson.

Whatever happened to the "joint ticket" idea?

Quote Originally Posted by spindr
    P.S. I did notice one lady from the salsa event later on -- and have noticed a few previously -- I think that they wander in later without a ticket (and make it very slightly more crowded).
    It's quite sweet the way they sometimes stand by the entrance, peeking their noses in. I've converted a couple myself (at least temporarily).

Because most people agree that what makes an evening is having the right people to dance with (along with the right music.) There's no certainty that the people one want's to dance with - the better dancers, say - are the ones who "value a quality experience" and will pay more for it. You might easily price out the good dancers and keep the flip-flopers and anyone else for whom £12, £15, £20, £25 or whatever still seems cheap for a night out in Ealing.

Also your making a presumption that the organiser would run more nights, if only they were making more money. Seeing as JB already said that cash wasn't the primary objective of Hipsters I don't think that's a fair assumption.
    Other organisers are in it for the money, and I suspect that they would be more likely to provide more venues if the money was obviously there.

It is an unfortunate fact of life that you would price out some that you wanted to attend, but any entrance fee does that. Survey distance travelled and time taken by people to get to good venues, and entrance cost is trivial compared to that.

We had people from Ipswich and Norwich at the Bedford Corn exchange, as well as at least one dangerous beginner from around the corner. A higher price would have bought more room, and might eventually buy a freestyle nearer Ipswich and Norwich.

There is little point being in a room full of good dancers and having to sit out and wait your turn because there is not enough space. I go to dance, not to play dodgems..

Thread Information