View Poll Results: How long since you danced at a venue that allowed smoking and dancing together?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • The last week

5 29.41%
  • The last month

4 23.53%
  • The last 3 months

1 5.88%
  • The last 6 months

1 5.88%
  • The last year.

6 35.29%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has the dancing and smoking problem gone away?

Commercial Operator

Has the dancing and smoking problem gone away?

For some reason the "Smoking and Dancing do Not Mix" thread has come up on my daily search. But it's got me thinking. Has the problem gone away or are we just putting up with it?

Re: Has the dancing and smoking problem gone away?

Was talking to someone from Dublin this week who has many friends who dance salsa. I said I didn't, mainly because of the smoke issue - but of course it isn't an issue in Dublin because of the new legislation.

Wish they would bring in the same legislation in NI, especially in dance venues and restaurants.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    Wish they would bring in the same legislation in NI, especially in dance venues and restaurants.
    I think they're going to here in Wales, so perhaps there's a glimmer of hope for you as well.

................or fed up with talking about it........

The smoking and dancing thing, well i went to a ceroc dance at gloucester and noticed that there was ash trays on all the tables, so was this saying you could smoke?? well being a smoker myself i dont like to smoke when dancing as it becomes difficult haha!! no seriously i dont smoke at dances for two reasons, your breath stinks and its not fair on the non smokers and second smoking shouldnt be allowed at all at dances as you need lots and lots of fresh air. well thats my 2 pence worth from a smokers point of veiw.and i know its a nasty habbit!!!

How long since you danced at a venue that allowed smoking and dancing together?
    A better question: how long since you danced at a venue where there was someone smoking in the same room as the dance floor? Unless, of course, you're more disturbed by a lack of non-smoking signs than you are by actual smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by Baruch
    I think they're going to here in Wales, so perhaps there's a glimmer of hope for you as well.
    Oh it will definitely be the law eventually. In the same way that all clubs, cinemas etc will have to have sound levels controlled when staff begin sueing for permanent hearing damage caused by working with the music too loud. Which will happen - breathing passive smoke can have very serious and even fatal consequences, but this won't affect everyone working in a smoky environment. Working in an environment with excessively loud music or other industrial noise almost certainly will cause hearing damage in the long term - hearing loss and/or tinnitus.

Sorry, sidetracked a bit there!

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    A better question: how long since you danced at a venue where there was someone smoking in the same room as the dance floor? Unless, of course, you're more disturbed by a lack of non-smoking signs than you are by actual smoke.
    The only dance events I have been to in NI where there were any no-smoking signs have been parties I have organised. I don't mind about signs. I don't really even mind about a few people smoking in a corner, though I would prefer it if they went to a different room, or at least well away from the dance floor. Its when I have to peer through the haze that I decide its time to leave.

And not go back again.

The last two venues I have been to where people smoke were both Ceroc venues, both run by the same person. Not only does she allow smoking but she smokes heavily on stage between lessons and jokes while teaching about needing a fag with her assistant.

Not much of an example eh?

The other place which I will also not attend any longer is the Rivoli because they encourage non dancers to come for private parties on dance nights. These groups smoke and drink heavily, so not only is the air full of smoke but the dance floor has drink spilt on it and later in the evening the drunks get up on the floor to cavort, stopping the true dancers from safe movement around the floor. I have emailed my displeasure but the income is obviously more important to them than the enjoyment of the dancers.

One of my regular venues allows smoking in the bar next to the dance floor - and the smell does come through It's only very recently that I've realised how horrible that smell *really* is (and was mortified...)

I always swore that I wouldn't be one of those awful "zeal of the converted" ex-smokers. I was intending to/trying to give up for a good couple of years before I finally made it (counting in months now! -and this time of quitting is definitely different from all the other times). I hereby admit to complete hypocrisy by retracting that statement - BAN smoking in ALL enclosed spaces. In fact, there also needs to be a several metres exclusion zone by doors as well - there was a fairly strong smell of smoke inside the doors at Finchley.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Jooles
    ................or fed up with talking about it........
    if this thread is anything to go by Jooles is completely wrong

Phil Roberts has implemented a no-smoking policy at several of his venues, and the rumours are that the results has been very adverse financially at some of them. As I had reported before it was the generally accepted practise for smokers to go outside at the ones I regularly attend, and those are flourishing.

I visited the Rhythm Lounge in St Pauls London recently (a Swing venue) and there was smoking there, I recall.
    By the by, the evening was reaaly really good with loads of optional classes downstairs and some stylish and skillful dancers. The atmosphere was very good and I got a dance with Tricia (Joseph and Tricia); plus all the Lindy hoppers were very patient with this jiver. I ended up having a great night after initial trepidation..
    However, after dropping off my companion (you said it was a jive...)my nightmare began..an accident on the A23 caused a diversion which sent everyone all over Sussex all night (there are no signs on all those little lanes), then I got a puncture and the AA couldnt find me..eventually, totally exhausted I got home at 7 00 a.m.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver
    Phil Roberts has implemented a no-smoking policy at several of his venues, and the rumours are that the results has been very adverse financially at some of them. As I had reported before it was the generally accepted practise for smokers to go outside at the ones I regularly attend, and those are flourishing.
    Can you elaborate please BigD.

Which venues are flourishing? And why?

I visted the MK tea dance a couple of weeks ago it was absolutely flourishing and smoke free apart from the two crew members in the foyer taking the money and smoking like chimneys.

Can't win them all

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra Woman
    Can you elaborate please BigD.

Which venues are flourishing? And why?

I visted the MK tea dance a couple of weeks ago it was absolutely flourishing and smoke free apart from the two crew members in the foyer taking the money and smoking like chimneys.

Can't win them all
    Smoking is allowed out of the dance area.

I am gutted that I missed the tea dance, and other freestyles lately.

Bedford is certainly flourishing, we had visitors from Peterborough, Cambridge, Northampton and Luton last week, plus others I had not seen before. I cannot recall a better class night. I hope to check out the alleged venues that have suffered. The info is probably stale by now anyway.

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

Smoking is allowed out of the dance area
    Eh? So you're just not allowed to smoke while dancing then?

Last time I went to Milton Keynes the ashtrays were still on the tables and the door crew and some the taxi dancers were all smoking

Berko still going strong

Heavy smoking in Bar area which leads directly to hall area

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38
    Berko still going strong

Heavy smoking in Bar area which leads directly to hall area

was the venue I referred to above... at least it's only one venue & not 2

signed

Nasty hypocritical ex-smoker who is tempted to throw (cheap!) Berko water over fags being smoked by poor unfortunates who are still addicted...

Quote Originally Posted by Northants Girly
    Eh? So you're just not allowed to smoke while dancing then?

Last time I went to Milton Keynes the ashtrays were still on the tables and the door crew and some the taxi dancers were all smoking
    When was your last visit? I will try to get official position now, and what is actually happening, because there seems to be a mis-match.

When was your last visit? I will try to get official position now, and what is actually happening, because there seems to be a mis-match.
    Yes I would worry about any statistical conclusions that may have been drawn from the scores at the doors 'since the venue went non-smoking' if in fact the non-smoking policy hadn't been enforced. Which sadly seems to be the case.

I only hear second hand information so I'll leave it to others to report back. At the Jive Aces T Jive the air seemed smoke free inside, although I only stayed for 20 minutes. Was anyone else there?

Thread Information