Thread: Adobe Acrobat 5.0 Writer

up the motorway, turn left, turn left, through the bends.......

Adobe Acrobat 5.0 Writer

We had an adobe document prepared, no security settings so I should be able to change it. How can I edit the text & add to it??
    Spent 2 days on this.
    Managed to change some of the text wording but I now need to add to it & move some of the text.

From what I understand you have to prepare the original document in word or whatever & then open in adobe & save as a pdf. (did a test document & it worked). Needless to say no-one has the original word doc. or no-one is owning up to having it. I've got the task of editing what we have.

Anyone know how to use Adobe writer please????

Re: Adobe Acrobat 5.0 Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Locket
    We had an adobe document prepared, no security settings so I should be able to change it. How can I edit the text & add to it??
    I don't know if there is a better way than saving the PDF file to rich text format, editing it and recreating the document as you have the test document. (I've only briefly used Acrobat 5.0).

There is lots of commercial software out there to work with PDF's. If the PDF is complex sometimes it is best to OCR it.

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

you can open PDFs in Adobe Illustrator - if that's any use.

Just checked on my version here:

1. File -> Save As
    2. Change the option to save as Rich Text Format - RTF (starts off saying PDF).
    3. Cross your fingers.
    4. Hit OK.
    5. If the above works, then open the RTF file in Word.

SpinDr.

Quote Originally Posted by spindr
    Just checked on my version here:

1. File -> Save As
    2. Change the option to save as Rich Text Format - RTF (starts off saying PDF).
    3. Cross your fingers.
    4. Hit OK.
    5. If the above works, then open the RTF file in Word.

SpinDr.

I did get that far. Only the text is saved right?? Not the pictures. Now that i've changed the text in word how do i put the edited text into the pdf file??? I can delete the text in pdf but no odea how to copy & paste in the revised text

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    you can open PDFs in Adobe Illustrator - if that's any use.
    have adobe acrobat 5.0 writer & adobe 6.0 reader. I assume illustrator is an additional package to what i have??

Ceroc DJ

have adobe acrobat 5.0 writer & adobe 6.0 reader. I assume illustrator is an additional package to what i have??

Methinks you just need a little course - here's something dug up from the internet that might be helpful.
    http://web.uvic.ca/comped/online/pdf/pdfb/

hope this helps

I did get that far. Only the text is saved right?? Not the pictures. Now that i've changed the text in word how do i put the edited text into the pdf file??? I can delete the text in pdf but no odea how to copy & paste in the revised text
    Don't try to treat the PDF system as a word processor -- use a word processor and use the PDF as the final (not to be editted format).

To get the pictures -- I guess you could zoom the PDF and somehow screen-grab them? And then insert the grabbed pictures back into Word. Sorry I don't really like using the PC/Windows for editting.

SpinDr.

P.S. If you have a linux/open source guru you might be able to take the PDF back to (Encapsulated) PostScript and then use tools like GhostView and Inkscape to get the illustrations from the EPS files.

Quote Originally Posted by frodo
    I don't know if there is a better way than saving the PDF file to rich text format, editing it and recreating the document as you have the test document. (I've only briefly used Acrobat 5.0).

There is lots of commercial software out there to work with PDF's. If the PDF is complex sometimes it is best to OCR it.

what's OCR????

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

I've just downloaded Acrobat 7 from the Adobe website (you can get a 30 day trial of any of their products there.)

Making minor edits to text is done as follows (they suggest that major edits are referred back to the application which holds the original file - not possible in your case):

Go to the tools menu and choose Advanced Editing -> TouchUp Text Tool
    That gives you an I-beam cursor you can place in the text and edit as you would expect.

I'd guess that for Acrobat 5 the menu item is going to be similar, and in a similar place.

If that isn't sufficient, try downloading a trial version of illustrator from Adobe (www.adobe.com) and see if that will let you move things around with more facility. Good luck with that one - careers are build on learning how to use that program properly...
    Last edited by El Salsero Gringo; 29th-July-2005 at 04:39 PM.

Ceroc DJ

what's OCR????
    Optical character recognition - means you stuff your document on a scanner, scan it in to your computer and then let a suitable piece of software "OCR" the scanned image and turn it into text. Whilst the OCR packages have got much better in recent years , they can still make a right pigs ear of this anyway, and if you ask the software to "retain original formatting" it will proceed to make a document (usually in word) thats virtually impossible to edit as its got frames and columns and tables and tabs .....basically forget it!

thank you everyone. i've had fun trying it all out. only had the software at work & no manual & no-one knew how to use it. bought a 2nd hand manual from amazon. got a copy of the original document emailed across to menow, so i can start from scratch & play around with it. he's also asked me to work on a 2nd document, haven't done the first one yet. Boy is he going to pay for this. still it's good to learn, keeps the brain active. i'm much better at picking things up by being shown what to do, make notes & then get on with it, than reading a manual.

your help has been very useful.

I would think acrobat 7.0 is more advanced & they usually make it easier & add better features, but 5.0 is all we have.

OCR, now i know what that is, had a scanner but when i moved house found it wouldn't work & never used it much anyway, so never replaced it.

quickly glanced through the manual last night & it's not too technical.

my next project will be web sites, should have doen the course 2 years ago but was too busy working & now the classes at college clash with dancing. will get prospectus & see what's what for this year. I can do quite a bit starting with a blank canvas & using frontpage & dreamweaver but don't know anything about 'launching' the site & whether you have to 'insert' anything on the pages beforehand i.e. some kind of links.

Anyone know of a course that can be done on a faster basis than 1 evening a week for a year. Any week or weekend courses anywhere??

sorted!!!! got 2 thumbnails on adobe which will form part of the uk brochure, can do the same for the US now. YIPPEE!!!!

Working on a Sunday is gonna cost him big time.

Can't believe i've done this. Thanks for your help guys.

Same old same old.

I have installed adobe acrobat 5.0 Writer but everytime i need to convert a file i have to re-install the software.

I was using it yesterday (after re-installing it again) and it was ok. Today it's not in Word & i've re-installed it.

What am i doing wrong??????????

Thread Information