Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Do Dancers Win Dance Competitions?

Commercial Operator

Re: Do Dancers Win Dance Competitions?

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepman
    Nigel and Nina do them more regularly, mostly at weekenders like Rock Bottoms, or at Beach Boogie, maybe they'll do one next week...

Greg
    I've just heard that Nina is going to do one on the Friday before Britroc* - and you will get to hear what a judge is looking for as she will be one of them

*finger on the pulse or what?

Quote Originally Posted by animaltalk
    I'm going to have to talk generally, as I haven't seen the two of you dance.

But I've always thought judges rated moves/wow factor over the ability to interpret music - sadly IMHO
    I've watched too many comps where dancers have done move after move after move -straight through breaks etc etc - and stlll be placed. They had their set routine and were going to do it no matter what the music did. Arrrggghh

Yes the best dancers do everything, but I think the priorities should be reversed.

Minor Diversion
    I saw a Jack and Jill "SwingW competition on the web, where the dancers appeared to be changing partners with the other competitors at their level. ie Dance with a Stranger, but only advanced dancers - A real test of lead and follow and musicality - REAL DANCING
    I have danced in roughly nine comps and Ive had lots of discussions about them. Every entry form I have completed stresses that judging is done according to the interpretation of the music or musicality rather than the degree of difficulty or number of moves. Howver all of the judges have their own "bugbear": here are some I know of and I will attribute them in private if you wish: 1. Dancing in time;
    2. Move suits music (why did they do that move then?)
    3. Choreography (I dont mind a few mistakes as this shows it is not choregraphed)
    4 Costume (gotta show you made an effort)
    5 Referring to the judges in your dancing (e.g., looking at them)
    Personally I believe that the judges should dance with the finalists: that would scare a few (see 3 above) and give them an ideas of their lead/follow skills "at first hand".

Quote Originally Posted by jockey
    Personally I believe that the judges should dance with the finalists: that would scare a few (see 3 above) and give them an ideas of their lead/follow skills "at first hand".
    Now that is a brilliant idea!!!! Anyone going to take up the challenge?

Elaine

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepman
    I've been advised that finding out who the judges are is good planning. You can then "adjust" your style to suit what they like.

Greg
    That would have been interesting at Weston Super Mare last year though!

There were David and Lily, Carole Haines (Ballroom/WCS/latin/classic), Joseph and Trish (Lindy) and Kiran and Lucy Osman (modern) and one other who I can't remember ( ). Something to suit just about every dancer I think?

Elaine

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineB
    That would have been interesting at Weston Super Mare last year though!

There were David and Lily, Carole Haines (Ballroom/WCS/latin/classic), Joseph and Trish (Lindy) and Kiran and Lucy Osman (modern) and one other who I can't remember ( ). Something to suit just about every dancer I think?

Elaine
    I hope I am not confusing identities here, but I believe that Joseph & Trish are also expert in Blues, and that Joseph was a Ceroc teacher. I believe it was him that I have seen doing the most spectacular doubles routines I have ever seen. (On a rare visit to St Albans I got a dance with a dance diva and very beautiful lady. It was completely ruined by Joseph (I believe) doing a fantastic doubles routine with two guys next to us, and we just shuffled around and gawped at it.)

Im new to writing on the forum but thought this would be a good place for me to make a start as his is the section i look after at the Chance 2 Dance competition in Blackpool

I would just like to emphasise how important the criteria is for each competition. With Chance 2 Dance we always post the criteria on the web page and then on the day the judges have to score each couple in each aspect of their performance - personal showmanship, content and complexity, musical interpretation, lead and follow and costume. Therefore if you are lacking in any of these you will loose points (costume is only a small aspect but it could be the difference between winning and losing!)

Finally from a judging point of view - when you arrive for the briefing before each competition you have a hour or so to digest the criteria and that is what you look for when judging (whether you like a certain style/ couple doesnt even enter the equation)

In my opinion - Read the criteria + meet the criteria = win the competition

sorry to go on a bit but its my first proper post and those that know me know that i dont shut up once i start!

Happy competing!

Angie xx

Quote Originally Posted by Angelina
    ......sorry to go on a bit but its my first proper post...............
    Welcome lovely lady

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Thank you!

I could get used to this!!

Stage Actors over exaggerate expressions and wear overdone makeup.
    Movie actors use far less expressions and subtle makeup as you are effectively much closer.

If you had one do the other in their usual style, then it wouldn't be as good.

Thread Information