Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Actors - Best and Worst performances

The Forum Legend
    Can i just add that Robin Williams is possibly the unfunniest man alive
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion I guess....

No matter how wrong it is

Steve

Commercial Operator

Robin Williams: unfunny?

Perhaps Curtain is in more dire need of a **** $*@ than any white man in history??

Originally posted by Curtain
    1. Samual L. Jackson (The coolest most chilled actor award)
    Also a contender for "sexiest man in a kilt" award for his performance in 51st state... puurrrrrr

Jayne

Originally posted by Jayne

Also a contender for "sexiest man in a kilt" award for his performance in 51st state... puurrrrrr
    As you'd probably be excited about Quasimodo in a kilt, I hope you never get to meet Samuel so attired, as you'd probably expire!

Then again, at least you'd die happy!

I can't believe some of these posts. Ghostbusters was the best film to come out of the early 80's and Highlander was one of my favourite films for ages (only let down when they went all space age for the second one, sort of ruined it).
    I can't speak for everyone else, but in my list I was rating the performance of the individual actor/actress. I also liked Ghostbusters, and if I'd been rating Dan Aykroyd or Bill Murray I might have put it as one of their best, but Sigourney Weaver's part was not exactly challenging. I think one of the problems with Highlander is that it's difficult to get past the absurdity of the accents, although again, I also liked it.

Can i just add that Robin Williams is possibly the unfunniest man alive (apart from one joke I heard him tell about the Scots inventing Golf).
    He wouldn't be among my favourite comedians (or comic actors) either, but he is a very good actor.

Originally posted by Graham
    Then again, at least you'd die happy!
    Absolutely!!!

Not so sure about Quasimodo though...

Jayne

2. Michael Caine (he's Michael Caine!!)
    6. Mike Myers (comic genius)
    8. Sandra Bullock (allegedly poor man's Julia Roberts)
    9. Whoopi Goldberg (better than Demi Moore in Ghost)
    Urrghhhhh ... whare were you hiding when the good Lord was giving out taste (and sensible haircuts)?????

Michael Caine has about as much expression and acting range as Steven Segal!

Mike Myers created the worst film for years in Goldmember

Sandra Bullock couldn't act (or even hold and intelligent conversation) is her life depended on it.

Whoopi WHO ...as in, "didn't she useed to be famous?"

And in their defence you would say......?

ODA Strikes back etc

Originally posted by Gus

Whoopi WHO ...as in, "didn't she useed to be famous?"

Didn't she used to be a cushion?

Gus what are you talking about man? Michael Caine is just the best. Granted he only ever plays one character (i.e. himself) but he's dead good at it. I'll concede the Whoopi Goldberg thing, just put her in for a laugh. Couldn't think of any decent females. Although Juliette Lewis (Cape Fear, From Dusk Til Dawn Fame) wouldn't be far away.

Oh and another one you missed - Harvey Kettle... Sorry ... Keitel.

Just to clarify ... the actors I listed are not neccesarily the best ... they were just a range of actors who have appeared in a wide range of commonly known films and have been in some good and some real turkeys.

There is alwys a debate as to whether an actor was good or bad in a good or bad film. I've always admired Sean Connery but he's been in some atrocious films .... but I've alwys though he has acted well ... though why do they keep trying to make him out to be a foriegn national when he can only speak scottish?? In his first film he was supposed to be a greek fisherman (go figure), in Red October he was supposed to be Russian and in Highlanger he was supposed to be Spanish ... surely someone up there has a warped sense of humour.

A reverse example is the Matrix ... excellent in many ways but Messr Reeves exhibited all the acting skills of wet play-doh ..... who can forget his Oscar-missing performance when he uttered the immortal line "I know Kung Fu"?? At least in "Bill and Ted's Bogus Jouney" you could belive his part.

OK ... finished my rant..... any other contributions?

British Appreciation Society

I'm a huge fan of British drama and actors... and definitely not those naaasty Hollywood ones!

Helena Bonham-Carter must be the most underrated actress of the modern age; I've seen her do everything from Shakespeare to Situational Comedy opposite Rowan Atkinson (another British legend), and everything in between. (Between the genres, not between Shakespeare and Atkinson).

Anthony Hopkins and Sean Connery would also get votes. I'm a great fan of actors that can act in a diversity of roles, and like Helena, these chaps act at all extremes.

The worst? Brad Pitt in "Meet Joe Black," with his almost *one* line: "Yeeeesss" (said deadpan, his character is "Death" and I guess he truly acts like something dead.)

Best all-time film goes to "The Princess Bride," (and the book is even better than the film!) Followed closely by "Amelie," Audrey Tatou is radiant in the role.

Live passionately,

Only just found this thread - being a film addict . . .

(limiting it to ones I've seen - I'm sure some of these people made worse ones when they started)

Tom Cruise
    Magnolia
    Cocktail

Melanie Griffith
    Working Girl
    haven't seen enough others to know

Sean Connery
    Untouchables
    League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Julia Roberts
    Erin Brockovich
    Mary Reilly or Runaway Bride

Robin Williams
    One Hour Photo
    Birdcage

Sigourny Weaver
    Alien
    Galaxy Quest (no acting needed lol)

Clint Eastwood
    Unforgiven
    Paint Your Wagon

Elizabeth Taylor
    Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
    National Velvet

Some great performances, but none of my fave actors, which would include Humphry Bogart, Fred Astaire, Sharon Stone, George Clooney, Nicole Kidman . . . and too many others to mention . . .

Commercial Operator
    Igenius)
    7. Robert Carlyle (had to put a Scot in)
    Totally agree with this one....of all the actors to come out of the seriously overrated Trainspotting.. Robert Carlisle is definately the best...And that includes pretty boy McGregor

Clint Eastwoods best movie for me ..(and probably one of the finest westerns ever made ) was The Outlaw Josey Wales....

One of my fav actors that hasn't had a mention is Robert Duval, great in all the Godfather movies and as the aging cop in Falling Down IMO

Oh and Curtain.....I think you'll find that Sir Sean Connery is also Scottish......not a particularly outstanding actor..(sounds the same in all his films ).......but Scottish non the less

Originally posted by Will
    All this talk about great actors and you've missed out the greatest of all.

Sir Arnold Schwarzanegger.

Take Terminator 2 for example. When has an automaton ever been portrayed so convincingly!!!
    OH MY GOD WILL!!!

Finding another Arnie fan is so unusual,praps I'll PM you and we can go on...and on... and onn...about his good films(predator etc)

My best all time film as I've mentioned earlier is tying in first place terminator 1 & 2, the scene in the mall with the guns and roses bit one of my faves!!
    Anyway, gone off the thread. Have to think up some others now, but Sean C. in Alfred Hitchcocks MARNIE was excellent,
    Back soon
    Fruitcake

Thread Information