Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New HP - ***spoilers***

New HP - ***spoilers***

Well, I had every intention of going to Amersham tonight... but got hit by horrible stomach cramps

so I finished it

until next weekend to give everyone else a chance to catch up

look at the time

Blog Entries

Re: New HP - ***spoilers***

Quote Originally Posted by NewKid
    so I finished it
    Me too!

I can't resist some mild spoilers!

Don't scroll down.

Unless you really want to.

Spoiler space

I'm not going to post out & out spoilers yet, just in case someone has actually got this far down the post - so no character names!

Did you think there were fewer misdirections and surprises in this one (I could see the ending from chapter 2)? But then I was expecting the ending.

And romances! It was very much people who I was expecting to get together, did.

Oooh. This is hard. Not naming names. I'll just say - Snape!!!

Aw, I really wasn't going to post even the mildest of spoilers for a few days!

But now you've started, I can't resist!

Attachment contains just about *all* the spoilers - you have been warned...

Perhaps those of us who have finished could discuss via text attachments for a week or so rather than on open board?
    Attached Files Attached Files

I've finished it, too!

Ooooooooooh!

Absolutely expected the romance. Also expected the final outcome. But think there might be some surprise hidden somewhere..... And some obvious things that Harry et al still havent commented on......

Was it just me, or was the book slightly less childish than the previous five? I know the characters are growing up, but..

Why oh why do I read so fast? I've got nothing to read, now! Should have read the book chapter by chapter instead, making it last longer...

LM

Registered User Purple Sparkler's Avatar

Finished on Sunday morning (thanks to KatieR having me to stay at her Youth Hostel, where I could sit and read completely undisturbed except by the Aussie Firecracker ferreting me snacks. Bliss).

Yes, I agree, the ending was quite obvious from the start. I thought the whole thing read a bit more like a crime novel than an adventure story this time. Felt a bit- and I fully expect to be disagreed with- like a sort of fill-in-the-gap for most of it, and that the real action will be in book 7 and this was mostly setting it up.

I found the Romance a little frustrating, to be honest. It seems like everyone gets the person they fancy, which we all know isn't how life is. I'd find that less irritating (though satisfying, if that makes any sense) if it weren't for the fact that JK is always talking about how she wants things to be realistic. People die. People you care about. And you don't always get to go out with the person you're after.

When can we start discussing theories about book 7?

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Sparkler
    When can we start discussing theories about book 7?
    Firstly, does anyone disagree that a thread specifically titled "***spoilers***" shouldn't need to put spoiler warnings etc...? It would make discussion a lot easier.

To throw out a question that isn't really a spoiler (the answers might be!): What are people's new thoughts on OotP following reading HBP?

And (to repeat the question that comes to mind after almost every book): Snape - Hero or Villain?

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin
    Firstly, does anyone disagree that a thread specifically titled "***spoilers***" shouldn't need to put spoiler warnings etc...? It would make discussion a lot easier.
    Probably not but I'm still going to say it:
    SEMI SPOILER BELOW!

To throw out a question that isn't really a spoiler (the answers might be!): What are people's new thoughts on OotP following reading HBP?

And (to repeat the question that comes to mind after almost every book): Snape - Hero or Villain?
    Question 2: I don't think we're going to know the answer to that until the end of book 7. Not now I've read HBP. Here was me thinking after OOTP that I was beginning to understand why Snape had gone the route he had, and he goes and does something like that!

OK - Spoilers Below...

To elaborate on my previous question - when the dust settles after book 6, does anyone else find themselves thinking "OK, what on earth was the point of book 5"? So much of what happened in book 5 seems to be ignored/forgotten. Most of the characters in book 5 are essentially absent now. Don't get me wrong, I found book 5 probably the worst in the series, so I'm not too upset, but still...

As for the Snape thing - interesting that we're still unsure, even after all that happens. Imagine if JKR meant book 6 to settle Snape's loyalties once and for all. She's going to be really annoyed at all the reader speculation about what really happened and what it meant.

Other thoughts: Major change in style - not a lot of laughs in this one, and it no longer has any feeling of being a children's book; I found the "cave" scene really unpleasant to read. Dumbledore is very different in this book as well - not entirely sure what that's about.

OK - Spoilers Below...

To elaborate on my previous question - when the dust settles after book 6, does anyone else find themselves thinking "OK, what on earth was the point of book 5"? So much of what happened in book 5 seems to be ignored/forgotten. Most of the characters in book 5 are essentially absent now. Don't get me wrong, I found book 5 probably the worst in the series, so I'm not too upset, but still...
    Actually, I found myself a bit disappointed by the lack of action in book 6. For most of it it seemed like setting up for book 7. By the end I had a feeling that it was rather 'Empire Strikes Back', if that makes any sense.

As for the Snape thing - interesting that we're still unsure, even after all that happens. Imagine if JKR meant book 6 to settle Snape's loyalties once and for all. She's going to be really annoyed at all the reader speculation about what really happened and what it meant.
    I don't think she did. I think it might be the most enormous red herring yet. She has deliberately invited speculation about what Dumbledore's cast-iron reason for trusting him is, I reckon.

Other thoughts: Major change in style - not a lot of laughs in this one, and it no longer has any feeling of being a children's book; I found the "cave" scene really unpleasant to read. Dumbledore is very different in this book as well - not entirely sure what that's about.
    I felt it read more like a crime novel, though I can't for the life of me say why. Dumbledore is different, but might that be to do with his 'weakened state'.

Questions of my own:
    MAJOR SPOILER BELOW!
    1: If the Order's Secret Keeper has now died, does that mean that 12 Grimmauld Place is no longer unplottable and hidden? Is this going to be significant in the next book?
    2: Am I the only one who thinks RAB must be Regulus A. Black?
    Last edited by Purple Sparkler; 18th-July-2005 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Moving spoiler down the page so it's less spoily.

Questions of my own:
    MAJOR SPOILER BELOW!

2: Am I the only one who thinks RAB must be Regulus A. Black?
    No, you're certainly not the only one. Quite blatant the way his name gets brought up in this book. And note that in OotP (page 108 in my edition - Ancient House of Black chapter) they find a heavy locket none of them can open. However, do we know Regulus' middle initial? And also, Hermione couldn't work it out from her research in the library - I'd have thought she'd suss if there was a Regulus A Black.

The other interesting alternative theory - if (as events in HP6 imply) two wizards were required to do what RAB did, maybe RAB is 'R' And 'B'...?

No, you're certainly not the only one. Quite blatant the way his name gets brought up in this book. And note that in OotP (page 108 in my edition - Ancient House of Black chapter) they find a heavy locket none of them can open. However, do we know Regulus' middle initial? And also, Hermione couldn't work it out from her research in the library - I'd have thought she'd suss if there was a Regulus A Black.
    I had forgotten the locket in Book 5! Must re-read it...

Not necessarily. He was a Death Eater, at least until he abandoned them, and so wouldn't necessarily turn up in any books likely to be in the Hogwarts Library- and if you didn't know, would you look for someone who intended to DESTROY part of Voldemort's soul in a list of Death Eaters?

The other interesting alternative theory - if (as events in HP6 imply) two wizards were required to do what RAB did, maybe RAB is 'R' And 'B'...?
    But it said I, not We. And why have the initial 'a' when you could have an '&'. Also, it was clear that whoever wrote the note WANTED Voldemort to know who had destroyed one of his precious horcruxes.

And would it not be possible to bewitch a goblet so that it kept refilling and forcing you to drink it? It would be dark magic, certainly, but Regulus was with the bad guys for a long time. He'd know the spell if it existed.

You people ..

Couldn't you just wait, a couple of days BEFORE starting this thread?

Come on really, there are people who are gonna read this thread before actually finishing the book.!!
    Do you want to be responsible for taking away their enjoyment?

Please be kind to all Harry P's fans..

I thank you.

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Groovy Dancer
    Come on really, there are people who are gonna read this thread before actually finishing the book.!!
    Please be kind to all Harry P's fans..
    I thank you.
    Taking a leaf from the book (how apt!) of the other Harry, the one from When Harry Met Sally, I'd like to know all the spoilers I can find before I tuck in to the book properly. So please keep them coming....

I did ask up above, and there wasn't exactly a huge rush of people posting saying "no, don't do it". The thread is marked spoilers, the contents all have spoiler space, and we've generally been pretty oblique about what it all means as well.

Only way this is going to spoil things is if someone actively decides to read the spoilers after all of the above. There are levels beyond which I disclaim responsibility...

But as you ask nicely, I'll wait a few days...

I did ask up above, and there wasn't exactly a huge rush of people posting saying "no, don't do it". The thread is marked spoilers, the contents all have spoiler space, and we've generally been pretty oblique about what it all means as well.

Only way this is going to spoil things is if someone actively decides to read the spoilers after all of the above. There are levels beyond which I disclaim responsibility...

Thanking you for your consideration.

Thanking you for your consideration.
    OK, but I still think you should get some willpower (The reason I got and read the book so quickly is because I don't have any...).

I agree- we DID warn you.

But if David can wait, so can I.

And then let the theorising begin! KGD, you have until Thursday. Then it's HBP Season!

And then let the theorising begin! KGD, you have until Thursday. Then it's HBP Season!

Such great forumites!! I am so happy that you are resisting the temptations to play with the Dark Arts

I am getting there okay I am on page 400 at the moment, should be done by the morning for the latest.

chat soon

Such great forumites!! I am so happy that you are resisting the temptations to play with the Dark Arts
    OI! I'm no Death Eater, thank you very much!

I have completed the book

So whenever you think you're ready.

Thread Information