Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OUCH!! How do I......

Registered User Almost an Angel's Avatar
    Heaven of course, currently on secondment to purgatory

OUCH!! How do I......

...get over whiplash before Beach Boogie.

Yes in my normally spectacular timing, I got rear-ended in the car, on my way to work. (Before any smart alecs start I was stationary when he hit me.)
    Result: one person in pain (me) and one dented but drivable car.

The latter I'm not worried about (it's only a car and that's what insurance is for) my problem is what do I need to do to get myself fit and able to dance by BB.

I do realise I am probably pushing the timescales - previously it took me 8 weeks to recover - I'm hoping this isn't as bad. I'm off to the Osteopath tomorrow - hopefully that should help, and before you ask - yes I'm in pain and yes it's uncomfortable,

Any ideas or suggestions to help symptoms gratefully received.

Angel xx

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: OUCH!! How do I......

I have no idea but I hope you feel better soon!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Ah, what awful timing. . .

I wrote my car off last year when ploughing into a reversing car at 60mph (not my fault btw). I was very lucky but it has left me with a bit of a weak neck.

The osteopath worked wonders for me (nothing like a good crack), but I would also suggest that you always thoroughly loosen your neck before dancing (spotting can be brutal). There seems to be no agreed ideal way to do this but ask the osteopath for advice. Also, you will be sleeping in a strange bed so I'd take the pillows you are used to, and maybe one of those heated lavender neck-pillows for after each night to support your neck in bed. I did this at Southport and it seemed to work for me.

get well soon

Quote Originally Posted by Almost an Angel
    and before you ask - yes I'm in pain and yes it's uncomfortable,
    Er, you seen a doctor about it? Whiplash can be nasty, so better safe than sorry.... And your doc will probably give you an idea of what to do and not to do....

Hope you get well soon!

LM

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca
    The osteopath worked wonders for me (nothing like a good crack), but I would also suggest that you always thoroughly loosen your neck before dancing (spotting can be brutal). There seems to be no agreed ideal way to do this but ask the osteopath for advice. Also, you will be sleeping in a strange bed so I'd take the pillows you are used to, and maybe one of those heated lavender neck-pillows for after each night to support your neck in bed. I did this at Southport and it seemed to work for me.
    Thanks, for the advice re the pillows, I'll make sure I take mine down with me. Funnily enough I was using my lavender neck thing last night to support my neck - great minds think alike and all that.

The osteopath was recommended by dancers I know, and I've been told he's very good - I hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey
    Er, you seen a doctor about it? Whiplash can be nasty, so better safe than sorry.... And your doc will probably give you an idea of what to do and not to do....

Hope you get well soon!

LM

Thanks

Have seen a doctor and he checked me out etc... gave me a list of things to do, medication etc...

Just wondering if any forumites have a miracle cures.

Such bad timing. I do hope it gets better with the treatment that you can get in the next week. I have just checked the Beach Boogie website but could not find any information there - in previous years they have always had the services of qualified masseurs (sp?) for the whole week. So if it is still causing pain then professional help should be on hand for the whole week.

I also had a car (relatively old - well used but loved) that got hit in the rear end (I was not in it at the time fortunately). It was also left in a drivable but "cosmetically challenged" state. The insurance company wanted to write it off. I made arragements with them that I would buy it on the condition that it was safe to drive and therefore they would continue to insure it. I obtained an MOT for the car and bought it off of them for £200. They gave me a cheque for £2000 (the write off value of the car).

Net result - I had a car to drive for the next 2 years for £200, £2000 in the bank waiting to go towards my next car. On the whole that driver that hit my car did me a favour.

Your hurt neck would make the whole deal much less favorable. I do hope your neck has a speedy recovery so that you can enjoy beach boogie to the full and that you don't have any transport problems to it.

I look forward to seeing you there.

Poor you ..........

Unfortunately the remedy in most of these problems is rest

I recommend lots of loving and gentle dances - and I am personally wishing you better fast

a big gentle hug

Nurse Minnie
    Attached Images Attached Images

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Thanks

Have seen a doctor and he checked me out etc... gave me a list of things to do, medication etc...

A.a.A There is no such thing as a miracle cure.

best advice is the common sense advice of rest and anti-inflammatory tablets.

Do not take any chances at Beach Boogie.

Sorry its boring but the best I can offer . get well soon luv U.P. x x

Quote Originally Posted by under par
    A.a.A There is no such thing as a miracle cure.

best advice is the common sense advice of rest and anti-inflammatory tablets.

Do not take any chances at Beach Boogie.

Sorry its boring but the best I can offer . get well soon luv U.P. x x

I know there's no such thing but I can wish can't I. Thanks for the hugs etc..

Resting (within reason) - I will be at Fleet tonight but I'm not allowed to carry anything, dance etc....have already arranged cover (that's resting - I'll just supervise) so I will sit there and make sure I get lots of hugs and sympathy. (see sense of humor is still intact!!!)

As for BB - I can see my dancing is going to be seriously curtailed
    So apologies in advance if I turn any of you forumites down as the music is too fast for me. (not fair I love fast music)

I know there's no such thing but I can wish can't I. Thanks for the hugs etc..

Resting (within reason) - I will be at Fleet tonight but I'm not allowed to carry anything, dance etc....have already arranged cover (that's resting - I'll just supervise) so I will sit there and make sure I get lots of hugs and sympathy. (see sense of humor is still intact!!!)

As for BB - I can see my dancing is going to be seriously curtailed
    So apologies in advance if I turn any of you forumites down as the music is too fast for me. (not fair I love fast music)
    You could sue the ba***** who rammed you for loss of dancing enjoyment and cost of Beach Boogie tickets etc.

I'll have 10% for suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by under par
    You could sue the ba***** who rammed you for loss of dancing enjoyment and cost of Beach Boogie tickets etc.

I'll have 10% for suggestion.

Hmmm No- it's all mine!!! 10/10 for trying though.

I had thought of this and might have to depends on how it goes next week - I'll keep you guys informed.

Angel xx

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I had thought of this and might have to depends on how it goes next week - I'll keep you guys informed.
    If you want my advice - if you're in pain, or you think you might be, then cancel.

Doc's are generally USELESS for advice - find a good physio, pay them money, see what they recommend, and follow their advice. Don't try to drug the pain away, this is your body speaking to you, listen to what it's saying or it'll say it much louder...

Not wanting to be doom-and-gloom merchant, but there'll be a Beach Boogie next year - you only have one back.

Hope you're better soon

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    If you want my advice - if you're in pain, or you think you might be, then cancel.

Doc's are generally USELESS for advice - find a good physio, pay them money, see what they recommend, and follow their advice. Don't try to drug the pain away, this is your body speaking to you, listen to what it's saying or it'll say it much louder...

Not wanting to be doom-and-gloom merchant, but there'll be a Beach Boogie next year - you only have one back.

Hope you're better soon
    Thanks

That's what the Osteopath is for I hope He's used to dancers (and the things we put our bodies through) So I'm going to ask his advice etc and stick to it and see how I go next week. I may be lucky and it will clear up enough for me to be able to dance a little being very carefull but if he thinks I shouldn't be dancing I'll have to seriously reconsider going.

Not happy bunny.

Angel xx

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Thanks

That's what the Osteopath is for I hope He's used to dancers (and the things we put our bodies through) So I'm going to ask his advice etc and stick to it and see how I go next week. I may be lucky and it will clear up enough for me to be able to dance a little being very carefull but if he thinks I shouldn't be dancing I'll have to seriously reconsider going.

Not happy bunny.

Angel xx
    Well i visited an Osteopath for the first time today. Got a bad neck after dancing at Hipsters a fortnight ago and hasn't got much better. Guess what! I've got whiplash from dancing!! It has not stopped me dancing but i am very careful who i dance with at the moment. The only draw back with this is people will probably talk about me for refusing dances ' guess she thinks she's a hotshot' Well i'm not, i'm just preserving my health.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella
    Well i visited an Osteopath for the first time today. Got a bad neck after dancing at Hipsters a fortnight ago and hasn't got much better. Guess what! I've got whiplash from dancing!! It has not stopped me dancing but i am very careful who i dance with at the moment. The only draw back with this is people will probably talk about me for refusing dances ' guess she thinks she's a hotshot' Well i'm not, i'm just preserving my health.
    Well done!!!!

I just managed it the normal way but kudo's for getting it through dancing!!!

I hope you're feeling better soon.

I'm not fairing so well, estimate is 4 weeks before I'll be dancing again!!!!

And before any of you say I need to rest - I have been - and I'm thoroughly bored.

So like Cruella I'll have to be very careful who I dance with (when I'm allowed to of course)

Angel xx

A seriously good remedial / advanced massage therapist could do wonders. Daresay your osteopath will be in the know about who's got what it takes in your area.

I had infinitely more success with my back through remedial sports massage and my chiropractor (and time) than with my doctor (who looking at x-rays said, hmm, yeah that bit's not good, you'll just have to learn to live with back pain, here have a pain killer). I know others with similar tales.

There are so many other complementary therapies gentle in nature that may or may not help (I know they're not for everyone).

Whatever you do look after that neck!

...Yes in my normally spectacular timing, I got rear-ended in the car, on my way to work.
    Out of sympathy for Almost An Angel, I allowed someone to collide with me from behind this morning on the way to work. (And now have to avoid having my dear old car written off!) Does that help ease your pain Almost An Angel? xxx

Commercial Operator

I'm not fairing so well, estimate is 4 weeks before I'll be dancing again!!!!
    I'm really sorry to hear about this, you will be sorely missed if you don't make it to Beach Boogie, especially when it comes to the gentle early morning bluesing.

And if you do decide to still come, but have to avoid the dancing, I know of at least one person that will be doing sightseeing trips most days, and I'm sure she would appreciate company...

But if you can get compensation for the loss of the holiday from the insurers, then it is probably best to play it safe, and avoid temptation!

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    Out of sympathy for Almost An Angel, I allowed someone to collide with me from behind this morning on the way to work. (And now have to avoid having my dear old car written off!) Does that help ease your pain Almost An Angel? xxx

Noooo!!! that's not good. I'd have prefered a sympathetic posting rather than you having someone collide with you too!!!

Hope you're OK - and the car doesn't get written off.

Angel xx

Thread Information