View Poll Results: It's probably because I'm/i've/I....

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • not good enough

81 57.86%
  • too fat

40 28.57%
  • too skinny

6 4.29%
  • too tall

9 6.43%
  • too short

10 7.14%
  • not available (i.e. married)

19 13.57%
  • got horrid teeth

7 5.00%
  • not trendy enough

29 20.71%
  • bald

4 2.86%
  • black/white/yellow , etc.

1 0.71%
  • too old

38 27.14%
  • too young

7 5.00%
  • just too damn sexy

20 14.29%
  • intimidating

36 25.71%
  • shy

30 21.43%
  • ugly

20 14.29%
  • got horrible hands

4 2.86%
  • got horrible legs

11 7.86%
  • can't/ don't like doing drops

17 12.14%
  • can't dance to challenging music

16 11.43%
  • can't dance in time

9 6.43%
  • got a miserable face

18 12.86%
  • just not likeable

17 12.14%
  • too good

11 7.86%
  • not in the clique

62 44.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Dancing insecurities?

Re: Dancing insecurities?

Quote Originally Posted by Chicklet View Post
    I have read all the threads on this and related subjects with interest and more than a little dismay.

I'm never going to be a brilliant dancer, I can't spin, I'm pudgy and I'm a tictac justincase breath fanatic but I HONESTLY DON'T CARE!!!!

If someone doesn't want to dance with me, I don't care why and neither need nor want to know, it just does not bother me, I will NEVER worry about it, there are plenty of people who will dance with me.

I don't feel I'm particularly big headed, I know I have "faults" but that's life.

SURELY I'm not alone here??Speak up the "comfortables" of the forum!!!!
    I have my insecurities. If I don't get asked for a dance, it's because (in my head) I'm not good enough - it must be a good song for which everyone is seeking out the great dancers, everyone's found better people to dance with, honestly, most ceroc nights I've been to so far, I'm far, far less than 'comfortable'.

But once I get home and think about it, I AM cr*p at it - but Ceroc, fortunately, is one of those things in life that don't matter. If no-one asks me, I'll ask someone. Most of the time, it's a case of 'just ask anyone' - unless a favourite track is on, then I'll find the nearest of my favourites and grab him before anyone else does! (cause they're all awesome and probably everyone elses faves, too!) Only occasionally, it's "I like the way he dances ....wonder if he'll dance with me"

If someone DOES ask me, then YAY but no biggie of they don't!

Registered User SeriouslyAddicted's Avatar

Thanks to a comment that was made to me on Saturday I now have the return of an old dancing insecurity. In my trampoline days you only ever have to twist in one direction and you spend a while when you first start out finding out which is your natural twisting direction. Mine is to the left - anti - clockwise.

OK so after 10 years of twisting to the left I take up Salsa where nearly every beginner spin is to the right. I really struggled, but spent a while learning the techniques which I then could also put into practice at Ceroc. I had thought I had got it sorted and that my spinning was going OK until one dance at Funky Lush which I had thought had gone well. The man in question said to me at the end of the dance "Thank you - you are coming along well - you follow nicely- now all you need to do is sort your spinning out". I couldn't believe it - the old ghost comes back to haunt me, and this time I hadn't even realised I had a problem

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SeriouslyAddicted View Post
    {snip}
    I wouldn't worry about it. I've never noticed it and I doubt anyone else has. (and if it's any consolation I once had almost an entire forum telling me the same thing )

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it. I've never noticed it and I doubt anyone else has. (and if it's any consolation I once had almost an entire forum telling me the same thing )

Your spinning is absolutely fine

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I had thought I had got it sorted and that my spinning was going OK until one dance at Funky Lush which I had thought had gone well. The man in question said to me at the end of the dance "Thank you - you are coming along well - you follow nicely- now all you need to do is sort your spinning out".
    Why on Earth do people make these "helpful" comments?

What's wrong with just saying "Thanks, that was lovely"? - it's worked for me for years...

I only ever give feedback if asked. And even then I try to beg off - I'm not a teacher, my opinion is just my opinion and could be wildly wrong.

Still, at least he didn't pat you on the head and say "Well done"

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Why on Earth do people make these "helpful" comments?

What's wrong with just saying "Thanks, that was lovely"? - it's worked for me for years...

I only ever give feedback if asked. And even then I try to beg off - I'm not a teacher, my opinion is just my opinion and could be wildly wrong.

Still, at least he didn't pat you on the head and say "Well done"
    From what i have seen the people who give out these comments normally do it to a lot of people and i sometimes wonder if they are as good as they think they are. I once had the misfortune to stand next to a guy in an intermediate class when it was one woman on. When it was time for the women to move he spent a while telling them what they had done wrong, etc. From my personal point of view this was annoying because it meant that the woman was always late for the start of the next move and they were all looking a bit p*ssed off (one woman looked like she was about to cry ). I did think about walking over and telling him that the constant in the equation was him and that maybe, as he was supposed to be leading, that he was at fault. But i didn't as i hadnt long started the intermediate class - i just settled for trying to explain to the women that he was telling everyone off.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jhutch View Post
    From what i have seen the people who give out these comments normally do it to a lot of people and i sometimes wonder if they are as good as they think they are. I once had the misfortune to stand next to a guy in an intermediate class when it was one woman on. When it was time for the women to move he spent a while telling them what they had done wrong, etc. From my personal point of view this was annoying because it meant that the woman was always late for the start of the next move and they were all looking a bit p*ssed off (one woman looked like she was about to cry ). I did think about walking over and telling him that the constant in the equation was him and that maybe, as he was supposed to be leading, that he was at fault. But i didn't as i hadnt long started the intermediate class - i just settled for trying to explain to the women that he was telling everyone off.
    First, SA. I've seen nothing wrong with your spinning so to him.

Second, I hope I don't come across the way Jhutch has described someone. My local venue is relatively new, out in the sticks and full of beginners and I quite often find myself helping some of the ladies that are clearly doing things wrong/struggling. Yes, sometimes it slows down the class, but I hope I'm not negative when I do it and I hope the rest of the class is understanding. Would other leaders prefer that I just hand over a lady who's struggling, or help her to understand so she can do it better with her next partner?

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post

Second, I hope I don't come across the way Jhutch has described someone. My local venue is relatively new, out in the sticks and full of beginners and I quite often find myself helping some of the ladies that are clearly doing things wrong/struggling. Yes, sometimes it slows down the class, but I hope I'm not negative when I do it and I hope the rest of the class is understanding. Would other leaders prefer that I just hand over a lady who's struggling, or help her to understand so she can do it better with her next partner?
    This was a case of him criticising everyone though and i couldn't help wondering what he was finding fault with each and every time. As for her doing it better, well, most of the women were fairly annoyed and their focus had been distracted so from a straight away, selfish point of view then they weren't doing it better I am sure you would be much more diplomatic

Registered User SeriouslyAddicted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post

Thanks

From a followers point of view I have no problems with helpful comments from somebody that I know is clearly more experienced than me and/or who I have danced with before, but I think you have to be careful giving advice based on one dance with a person you have never met before - can come across as a bit patronising and maybe that person was just having an off moment. Also think it is much more acceptable in a lesson environment rather that at a freestyle.

I really struggled, but spent a while learning the techniques which I then could also put into practice at Ceroc. I had thought I had got it sorted and that my spinning was going OK until one dance at Funky Lush which I had thought had gone well. The man in question said to me at the end of the dance "Thank you - you are coming along well - you follow nicely- now all you need to do is sort your spinning out". I couldn't believe it - the old ghost comes back to haunt me, and this time I hadn't even realised I had a problem
    You have done what you can. You understood, when you started salsa that foudn spinning in one direction was easier than the other and you tried to do something about it. That is much better than realising that an area needed work and NOT doing something about it.

Leaving aside the question of wether this person should have said anything at all regarding your dancing after dancing with you (he might have got the impression some how that you were interested in feedback or he was just someone that always offers an unsolicited opinions) it comes down to,

a) He is wrong and doesn't know what he is talking about.

b) he is right and an aspect of your dancing could be improved.

In the meantime your feelings are hurt even though his one negative comment was preceeded by two positive comments and it looks like it has seriously hit your motivation.

How you sort out the truth of options a and b above and what, if anything, you choose to do is down to you. Woodface and TurboTomato say there is nothing that can be improved so it look like the current vote is 2 to 1.

I have rarely met a dancer that couldn't improve something. I used to get hurt about things but now I meet the comments by asking what I can do to improve things.

Try to not let it get you down - hard I know - but don't dismiss it without thought.

I selected 'not in the clique'. That, I find, is the biggest hurdle when visiting a new venue.

I don't often get refused dances, but when I do it's normally from the 'clique', and quite often when I've been spotted dancing with someone who has accepted (or when I've accepted) a dance with someone not in the 'clique', the situation changes and those in the 'clique' accept a dance.

It doesn't bother me one iota how good anyone is, I can adjust my dancing to suit my partner, and I hope when I dance with those ladies who are more experienced than me, adapt to my lead.

I don't care if you're short, I'll dance my 6'5" frame on my knees is I have to! As long as we both have a good time on the dancefloor that's all that matters.

The last venue I visited I had dances with ladies of all shapes, sizes and abilities and had a great time, and I hope they did too. I tried some moves which confused at first, but bought smiles and laughter, and I made mistakes, sure, but then managed to find my way round them with out spoiling the dance.

There should be no insecurities from anyone on the dance floor, and no reasons to have any.

Sye

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Heh, like teachers never have wildly wrong opinions.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    Heh, like teachers never have wildly wrong opinions.
    Well, but at least they get paid for being wrong. That's a step up for "being wrong for free" in my book.

Besides, I'd only ever say "Oh, just learn AT, will you?" anyway

So I finally know enough variations on weight shifts to be able to lead them for an entire dance without excessively repeating myself. This is good because my working answer to the question "what is Blues dance?" is "weight shift variations". I've been doing that from time to time, when dancing with folks who can follow such things.

My insecurity is... I'm worried that I'm boring my follower. Oddly, more worried than I was as a beginner in other dances. After a minute or two the pressure to lead a yoyo feels very strong.

My insecurity is... I'm worried that I'm boring my follower. Oddly, more worried than I was as a beginner in other dances. After a minute or two the pressure to lead a yoyo feels very strong.
    same here I have about 2 variations of the yo yo and to not do a dance without a yo-yo is a very strange thing for me

Yup.. what I tend to do when I'm running low on weight-shift patterns is bring the arms into play as well - a few swoops and extensions, carresses and traces, dropping arms over,... unfortunatly I havn't worked out how to multi-task this and sync the weight-shifts with arm flourishes (I would say "leads", but I'm only leading the follower's arms - not the rest of them.)

I normally end the wavy sea-weed arms bit {} by turning the follower or stepping round them and going back into weight shifts. Releives the fear of bordom for me - you might want to give it a try.

Blog Entries

Me too.

In general, I'm told it isn't a problem, but when you dance with the same person all the time it becomes a problem.
    In fact, I think it's more a case of me boring myself.
    It's easy for followers, they can just go and dance with someone else, I have to dance with me whether I like it or not!

So I finally know enough variations on weight shifts to be able to lead them for an entire dance without excessively repeating myself. This is good because my working answer to the question "what is Blues dance?" is "weight shift variations". I've been doing that from time to time, when dancing with folks who can follow such things.

I constantly worry about boring my follower - I often have to remind myself that I don't have to demonstrate a new set of moves with every person I dance with. My other vice is the Man-Spin...I'm trying to limit it to a couple of times per dance.

I've heard a few men expressing the same concern about repeating moves.

Though I have to say as a follower, I don't ever recall a time that I've "got bored" with the repetition of a step. I've danced modern jive for 14 years and in that time must have danced with loads of men with this concern. I've also danced with plenty of people who have only completed one or two classes who only have 4 or 8 steps to play with.

I think a dance can still be a fantastic experience with only a handful of steps, especially if it's approached with a positive attitude, or a sense of fun from both partners.

I have found that I've got used to the steps that certain men like dancing.... but this doesn't bore me, in fact I look forward to them doing their "signature step"

Maybe the problem is more that - the leader is stuck with their own set of steps and therefore finds themself getting bore. Maybe assuming the follower is also bored. The follower experiences many different steps in one night with different partners and therefore does not get bored......??? What do you think?

Anita

Quote Originally Posted by Anita View Post

Maybe the problem is more that - the leader is stuck with their own set of steps and therefore finds themself getting bore. Maybe assuming the follower is also bored. The follower experiences many different steps in one night with different partners and therefore does not get bored......??? What do you think?

Anita
    I think/hope you are right and it's nice to hear such sentiments from a lady who has danced a lot. Very encouraging. Thanks

Thread Information