View Poll Results: It's probably because I'm/i've/I....

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • not good enough

81 57.86%
  • too fat

40 28.57%
  • too skinny

6 4.29%
  • too tall

9 6.43%
  • too short

10 7.14%
  • not available (i.e. married)

19 13.57%
  • got horrid teeth

7 5.00%
  • not trendy enough

29 20.71%
  • bald

4 2.86%
  • black/white/yellow , etc.

1 0.71%
  • too old

38 27.14%
  • too young

7 5.00%
  • just too damn sexy

20 14.29%
  • intimidating

36 25.71%
  • shy

30 21.43%
  • ugly

20 14.29%
  • got horrible hands

4 2.86%
  • got horrible legs

11 7.86%
  • can't/ don't like doing drops

17 12.14%
  • can't dance to challenging music

16 11.43%
  • can't dance in time

9 6.43%
  • got a miserable face

18 12.86%
  • just not likeable

17 12.14%
  • too good

11 7.86%
  • not in the clique

62 44.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dancing insecurities?

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Dancing insecurities?

We all have certain insecurities and things that go through our head if someone turns us down or we don't get asked for a dance, so which of these can sometimes hit the nerve

It's anonymous and you can tick more than one......
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Re: Dancing insecurities?

Quote Originally Posted by Lory
    We all have certain insecurities and things that go through our head if someone turns us down or we don't get asked for a dance, so which of these can sometimes hit the nerve

It's anonymous and you can tick more than one......

Where you thinking of me with "too TALL"?

I'm feeling paranoid now

Quote Originally Posted by under par
    Where you thinking of me with "too TALL"?

I'm feeling paranoid now
    Imagine how i feel "TOO SHORT" & "BALD", plus (I am not sure how she knew it) but she even included "got "horrible Legs"
    Last edited by Lounge Lizard; 14th-July-2005 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lounge Lizard
    Imagine how i feel "TOO SHORT" & "BALD", plus (I am not sure how she knew it) but she even included "got "horrible Legs"

Ahhh!!!!!!1 I get the hat , the stilts and the long trousers now.

Commercial Operator

Of the 11 people who've voted so far I'm the only one that's "too short"

Registered User Purple Sparkler's Avatar

I've gone through quite a sea change in the past few months. Previously, if I asked someone and they turned me down I'd think it was because I wasn't good enough.

Now when someone turns me down I think that it's THEIR problem, not mine. And I simply think 'Fine, sod you then, I won't be asking YOU again.' And I don't.

I even behave myself when guys who used to ignore me ask me. Worst rejection ever came from one of the old chaps at Ashtons- who I asked to dance and he simply shook his head in a manner that said 'of course not, you stupid girl'- he now asks me quite a lot. And I always say yes. Because I'm classier than that, if you see what I mean.

I think it's fairly safe to say that dancing has done wonders for my confidence.

Reading various threads on the forum it never ceases to amaze me that any guy would turn down a lady asking for a dance. I never have and never will.

To be honest I think it is so fantastic when I'm asked! My insecurites are mainly that I'm just not good enough or don't look good enough. Maybe that is why it is such an amazing confidence boost when I'm asked to dance.
    Last edited by Damien; 14th-July-2005 at 11:13 AM. Reason: grammar/spelling

Little Miss Jazz Shoes Jazz_Shoes (Ash)'s Avatar

I don't remember being turned down before, maybe I have been but forgotten But if I ever do then it is their loss ...i'd imagine that the age thing might come into it...but luckily if I ever do ask anyone to dance they usually say yes (touch wood) I can't believe that guys actually turn down ladies when the ask to dance, that is shocking and very rude! They should be ashamed of themselves, girls if you ever do get turned down it is the guys loss for missing out on a great dance with you.

Ashx

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Damien
    Reading various threads on the forum it never ceases to amaze me that any guy would turn down a lady asking for a dance. I never have and never will.

To be honest I think it is so fantastic when I'm asked! My insecurites are mainly that I'm just not good enough or don't look good enough. Maybe that is why it is such an amazing confidence boost when I'm asked to dance.

After many years of dancing I still get a thrill when a woman asks me to dance. Why would I ever say 'no'?

..not in the clique is a good one cos it's a chance to break it, by dancing..

good poll, Lory..

G :-)

it never ceases to amaze me that any guy would turn down a lady asking for a dance. I never have and never will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_Shoes(Ash)
    I can't believe that guys actually turn down ladies when the ask to dance, that is shocking and very rude!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor
    After many years of dancing I still get a thrill when a woman asks me to dance. Why would I ever say 'no'?
    I must say it's nice to know there are chaps like you around. Makes me hopeful for the rest of humanity. Have some rep.

Blog Entries

I have read all the threads on this and related subjects with interest and more than a little dismay.

I'm never going to be a brilliant dancer, I can't spin, I'm pudgy and I'm a tictac justincase breath fanatic but I HONESTLY DON'T CARE!!!!

If someone doesn't want to dance with me, I don't care why and neither need nor want to know, it just does not bother me, I will NEVER worry about it, there are plenty of people who will dance with me.

I don't feel I'm particularly big headed, I know I have "faults" but that's life.

SURELY I'm not alone here??Speak up the "comfortables" of the forum!!!!

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Don't get me wrong Chicklet, I never let it ruin my night but I have to admit, I'm taking great solace in the fact so many other share my little insecurities too!

It's not only meeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

I tend to find that one of the only places I feel truly comfortable is whilst dancing.

I always get nervous when entering a new venue, and for the first few tracks (normally along the lines of 'am I good enough??'), but I've learned to re-frame the nerves as excitement.

There will always be guys who love to dance with me and guys who hate to dance with me , with most somewhere in the middle, and that's ok as far as I'm concerned (well rehearsed calming self talk)

In terms of physical attributes I don't think this really applies when dancing. There are guys who ordinarily I wouldn't find physically attractive, but who move like dance-gods!! I wouldn't think to consider a person's height, weight, legs etc if I'm watching them dance, it's all about line, posture (and some evidence that they are enjoying themselves). I tend to ask guys to dance if they are a) smiling b) nearby and c) looking like they want to dance - simple as. . .
    Last edited by Rebecca; 14th-July-2005 at 01:15 PM.

Is there a prize for most ticks?

Just a small point but for me the problem around insecurities have not been being turned down for a dance. However, after dancing for almost a year I still find it incredibly difficult to even ask for a dance. I'm OK with the regulars who I sit near or who have asked me in the past but just asking a face in the room who I don't know and all sorts of doubts creep in and my legs turn to jelly.

Not all of us guys are brimming with confidence so its a welcome relief when someone asks me to dance. So to all the ladies please ask more often and if anyone says no the problem is with them not you.

I can vividly remember being "turned down" twice, and both times it was by "ladies" from Glasgow! Despite being born and brought up in No Mean City, it's more than 30 years since I lived there, so maybe my Parliamo Glasgow chat-up lines are a tad out of date, although what I said seemed ok at the time:

"Howsitgaun, doll? Maist ora music's mingin but yonsa stoater oa sang - gonnae git affyer bahookie an giesa jig aforera flair's fu o awra hotshots an wee herries?"

So I guess I'll just have to live with my insecurities.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Sparkler
    I've gone through quite a sea change in the past few months. Previously, if I asked someone and they turned me down I'd think it was because I wasn't good enough.

Now when someone turns me down I think that it's THEIR problem, not mine. And I simply think 'Fine, sod you then, I won't be asking YOU again.' And I don't.
    That's what i need to do.

I even behave myself when guys who used to ignore me ask me. Worst rejection ever came from one of the old chaps at Ashtons- who I asked to dance and he simply shook his head in a manner that said 'of course not, you stupid girl'- he now asks me quite a lot. And I always say yes. Because I'm classier than that, if you see what I mean.
    And this is what i will aim for.

I think it's fairly safe to say that dancing has done wonders for my confidence.
    Hopefully it will do the same for me.

Hope you'll visit scotland sometime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Petal

That's what i need to do.
    And this is what i will aim for.
    Hopefully it will do the same for me.
    *flattered* And this from a Taxi Dancer! (Must remember to send off the form...)

Thread Information