Thread: XP networking help needed!

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

XP networking help needed!

Here I am struggling with a Windoze issue, so I throw myself at the mercy of the Forum gurus and ask:

How can I multihome a NIC in windows XP with one DHCP-provided address and one static IP address?

I have a wireless network card that collects an IP address from my ISP via a wireless access point connected to a cable modem. I have a laptop with a wireless card too. I want to use Internet Connection Sharing on the desktop PC so that the laptop can access the Internet by sending packets to the desktop PC, having them NAT'd there and then routed via my ISP. In order to accomplish this I need to give the PC's wireless connection two IP addresses, one public (from the ISP) and one local/private.

This is all easy to achieve if the wireless card has two statically assigned addresses. Unfortunately, when configured to use DHCP the option to enter a second address for the connection is removed.

I have seen and tried - unsuccessfully - a nasty registry hack to do this, but it doesn't have any effect on my PC. Has anyone actually achieved this?

Re: XP networking help needed!

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    I want to use Internet Connection Sharing on the desktop PC
    Can't help with your specifics, but the cost of the wireless router I eventually solved all my home networking problems with, was far less than the grief I experienced in many guises trying to get ICS to work reliably.

Yeah, you're right, I know... just wanted to see if I could make it work before setting up a router.

Yeah, you're right, I know... just wanted to see if I could make it work before setting up a router.
    I think the other solution I've seen mooted involves having two connections on the "host" PC, which also implies it's painful at best with your current hardware.

I have a Netgear wgr614 wireless router

Connected to cable modem

Happily handles two laps tops (wireless) and a desktop connected by cat5 cable

all PCs on widows XP

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Go here and scroll down to PROXY and download it. ICS sucks anyway

How can I multihome a NIC in windows XP with one DHCP-provided address and one static IP address?

I have a wireless network card that collects an IP address from my ISP via a wireless access point connected to a cable modem....
    If there is any easy way to do this I'd like to know also.

Third party virtual networking layer drivers could solve the problem by creating an additional virtual adapter with a static address. I've only used that in conjunction with commercial virtualisation software but there may be free solutions out there, that don't require more than network virtualisation.

Would be interested in how the AnalogX proxy would help, as I would like to use the AnalogX proxy for a couple of things.

As virtually everyone has commented the cost of a wireless router is cheap compared to the hassle of anything else.
    Last edited by frodo; 10th-July-2005 at 01:01 AM.

Can I offer two suggestions you won't like?
    1. Get a Mac – you can do this with a single click of a mouse.
    2. Get an Apple Airport Express – a wireless router you can play music though.

Or you can be like me and do both!
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi
    Can I offer two suggestions you won't like?
    1. Get a Mac – you can do this with a single click of a mouse.
    2. Get an Apple Airport Express – a wireless router you can play music though.

Or you can be like me and do both!
    Cool idea. PM me your credit card details and I'll get right on it!

up the motorway, turn left, turn left, through the bends.......

Here I am struggling with a Windoze issue, so I throw myself at the mercy of the Forum gurus and ask:

I have a wireless network card that collects an IP address from my ISP via a wireless access point connected to a cable modem. I have a laptop with a wireless card too. I want to use Internet Connection Sharing on the desktop PC so that the laptop can access the Internet by sending packets to the desktop PC, having them NAT'd there and then routed via my ISP. In order to accomplish this I need to give the PC's wireless connection two IP addresses, one public (from the ISP) and one local/private.

This is all easy to achieve if the wireless card has two statically assigned addresses. Unfortunately, when configured to use DHCP the option to enter a second address for the connection is removed.

I have seen and tried - unsuccessfully - a nasty registry hack to do this, but it doesn't have any effect on my PC. Has anyone actually achieved this?

what language are we speaking here, i no comprende anything. It all sounds so complicated, hope you get it sorted.

i've got one for you guys, how can i set up my computer so i get me emails via outlook instead of the server. I've tried to follow their instructions but i'm obviously doing something wrong (i am a girlie after all). I have tiscali broadband. Oh, & in baby english please coz i don't understand IT language.

I have heard that routers aren't always that easy to set up either. May need your help on that one too, but not just yet. As long as the internet is on my computer & not little 'uns i can control the length of time he spends playing runescape, so may not connect his computer.

Thread Information