Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: London getting back to normal?

Re: London getting back to normal?

Quote Originally Posted by foxylady
    Dave, Have just heard from David Bradley that as Tavistock square is still closed the Jive Bar will not be open on wednesday.....
    Ashtons, in cricklewood, is on, as is Wessex House in Clapham

Hope too see you (I'll probably go to Ashtons )

Foxy
    Shame about the Jive Bar but I will be going to fulham and Ashtons.

how can anyone get 'used' to having their home bombed and then the possibility that it could happen again. But to quote Fran from strictly ballroom 'a life lived in fear is a life half lived' so we must all go on as best we can.

Glitter Queen

The e-mail from Ceroc London - just for anyone who didn't get it:

"The Jive Bar is closed this week as Tavistock Square is still closed. Ashtons is
    open on this Wednesday as is Wessex House.

The Casbah is also closed for one week this Friday because the floor is being
    resurfaced. Ashtons will be having a freestyle party night this Friday.

For more details and directions www.ceroclondon.com"

... I predict Ashtons will be packed on Wednesday...

S. x

Quote Originally Posted by KatieR
    Shame about the Jive Bar but I will be going to fulham and Ashtons.

how can anyone get 'used' to having their home bombed and then the possibility that it could happen again. But to quote Fran from strictly ballroom 'a life lived in fear is a life half lived' so we must all go on as best we can.
    Looks Like Ashton's is the place to be on Wednesday. Thanks to Foxy Lady for the info re Jive bar see you at Ashtons - hope I can find it!

Nice to see another fan of Strictly Ballroom - good movie!

Dave

how can anyone get 'used' to having their home bombed and then the possibility that it could happen again.
    I think my original phrasing was off key and gave the wriong opinion. I think what I was trying to say is that after a while some people experience a lessening of sensitivity. This has been seen in NI and was my personal experince during the IRA terror campaign in Birmingham and London.

No one wants to get 'used' to this, but I think that there has to be a change in mind-set that says that the price for a degree of freedom and safety is to accept tighter security, more intrusive measures and maybe a more 'robust' attutude to those who are potentaily a threat.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    I think my original phrasing was off key and gave the wriong opinion. I think what I was trying to say is that after a while some people experience a lessening of sensitivity. This has been seen in NI and was my personal experince during the IRA terror campaign in Birmingham and London.
    Having experienced a little of the tailend of the Northern Ireland situation, I think it's more that people become accustomed to a certain level of violence as part of their everyday life; it becomes "normal" in other words.

No one wants to get 'used' to this, but I think that there has to be a change in mind-set that says that the price for a degree of freedom and safety is to accept tighter security, more intrusive measures
    Yes, and yes; reluctantly.

and maybe a more 'robust' attutude to those who are potentaily a threat.
    No - the trouble is, that road often leads us straight to internment, and I think most people would realise that's only good for creating new terrorists.

Israel's been using "Robust measures" for 10 years (arguably longer), and the only result is to bring suicide bombings into fashion; it certainly hasn't made Israelis more secure. Sometimes you need to take robust measures to ensure you don't take "robust measures"...

Registered User Purple Sparkler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DaveD
    - hope I can find it!

Nice to see another fan of Strictly Ballroom - good movie!

Dave
    Firstly: This is your Public Service Purple Sparkler:

Anyone who wants to go to Ashtons tonight but doesn't know where the hell it is should get the Thameslink (from Kentish Town or West Hampstead tube as KX is shut still) up to Cricklewood railway station for 7.20. I shall be arriving there from Mill Hill around then. If folk PM me and let me know they'll be there, I shall be happy to be your Ashtons Tour Guide for the evening (or at least show you where it is!).

Secondly: If you want to find fans of 'Strictly Ballroom', you're in the right place! "What do I want? I'll TELL you what I want! I want Ken Railings to walk in here right now and say 'Pam Short's broken both her legs, and I want to dance with you!"
    "Pam Short's broken both her legs, and I want to dance with you."
    "That was unexpected!"

No one wants to get 'used' to this, but I think that there has to be a change in mind-set that says that the price for a degree of freedom and safety is to accept tighter security, more intrusive measures and maybe a more 'robust' attutude to those who are potentaily a threat.
    Unfortunately from Australia, we have never truly experienced anything like these bombings or IRA attacks. Over there we do to a degree live a somewhat sheltered life. We have droughts, floods etc but have never really been involved in any terror attacks *touch wood*. I guess really being involved in something such as this really does make you re evaluate what you have. It has certainly changed my attitude and if it means my family, friends and my own safety i am prepared to accept what measures are needed.

Unfortunately from Australia, we have never truly experienced anything like these bombings or IRA attacks. Over there we do to a degree live a somewhat sheltered life. We have droughts, floods etc but have never really been involved in any terror attacks *touch wood*. I guess really being involved in something such as this really does make you re evaluate what you have. It has certainly changed my attitude and if it means my family, friends and my own safety i am prepared to accept what measures are needed.
    FYI

last month

-----------------------
    Australian authorities raided four homes in Melbourne, officials said on Thursday, as media reported an investigation that Islamic extremists could be planning attacks on landmarks including the Sydney Opera House.
    The raids were carried out by counter-terrorism officers on Wednesday to search for information, Attorney-General Philip Ruddock told reporters in Canberra.
    "These were essentially search warrants and they are about obaining access to information," Ruddock said.
    "They don't lead to arrests."
    Local media reported the raids were part of a 10-month investigation by the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO).
    Newspapers said the investigation had revealed "Islamic extremists" were considering attacks against train stations and the stock exchange building in Melbourne, as well as the Sydney Harbour Bridge and Sydney Opera House.
    Authorities would not confirm details of the raids other than to say the investigations, code-named Operation Pandanus, were continuing. No one has been detained or arrested and Ruddock declined to say whether any documents or computers were seized.
    ----------------------------------

Now we are having a 2 minute silence , why do that ??

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38
    FYI

last month

-----------------------
    Australian authorities raided four homes in Melbourne, officials said on Thursday, as media reported an investigation that Islamic extremists could be planning attacks on landmarks including the Sydney Opera House.
    The raids were carried out by counter-terrorism officers on Wednesday to search for information, Attorney-General Philip Ruddock told reporters in Canberra.
    "These were essentially search warrants and they are about obaining access to information," Ruddock said.
    "They don't lead to arrests."
    Local media reported the raids were part of a 10-month investigation by the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO).
    Newspapers said the investigation had revealed "Islamic extremists" were considering attacks against train stations and the stock exchange building in Melbourne, as well as the Sydney Harbour Bridge and Sydney Opera House.
    Authorities would not confirm details of the raids other than to say the investigations, code-named Operation Pandanus, were continuing. No one has been detained or arrested and Ruddock declined to say whether any documents or computers were seized.
    ----------------------------------

Now we are having a 2 minute silence , why do that ??
    Thanks for the info but i dont want people to get the wrong idea. i dont deny that definately there have been these raids and investigations as such but Australia has never experienced anything like the IRA bombings or 9/11 etc. Is that because our security is better? Is it because we arent as involved as Europe? I dont know.. its all speculation. I cant say anything but my own thoughts and those are what i posted before. Think I might make a fast exit from this thread as people are starting to misinterpret peoples thoughts for fact.

Is it because we arent as involved as Europe? I dont know.. its all speculation. I cant say anything but my own thoughts and those are what i posted before. Think I might make a fast exit from this thread as people are starting to misinterpret peoples thoughts for fact.

Not sure how Bali was involved with any of above

Point im trying to make is I dont think any country should feel superior just because they havent been targeted YET.

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38
    Not sure how Bali was involved with any of above

Point im trying to make is I dont think any country should feel superior just because they havent been targeted YET.
    Crikey.. why does one feel they have to justify everything they say. I did not mean that Australia was superior in any way at all. It was just MY THOUGHTS and how I FELT about the situation. Why do people have to assume things.

enuff from me.

Thread Information