Thread: Stretch Material

Stretch Material

Ok I tried another source for this information but that was unfelpful.

So open question to the world. . . . . .

When sewing stretch cotton material should the stretch go horizontal or vertical in relation to the body??

Come on girls
    Mind you its too late to change now - thats how I cut the stuff.
    But I would like to know if it's gonna ok!

There's an odd thread yeah??
    Last edited by Trousers; 7th-July-2005 at 06:02 PM.

Re: Stretch Material

Oh and should I do anything special with thread tension?

Come on seamtress corner!

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers
    When sewing stretch cotton material should the stretch go horizontal or vertical in relation to the body??
    I'm guessing horizontal - I've never used the stuff personally but most stretch clothing is outwards stretch not downwards. Also, you would need high tension, and you need to make sure that you aren't stretching the material when you're machining it, or else the seams will pucker.

Disclaimer: I don't profess to be an expert though, so if it goes wrong please don't hurt me!

I don't know anything about the sewing side of things, but there's a worldwide dance forum: http://www.dancescape.com/mydancefriends/ (you might have to join for access). If you look in the section "Fashion @ the dance" they have quite a bit of info on sewing lycra, difference between one way and two way stretch etc... It's all over my head, but might be helpful. Unfortunately, I think there was a bust up between the people who run the board and the main contributor to the Fashion section, so it's all a bit dead now.

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin
    I don't know anything about the sewing side of things, but there's a worldwide dance forum: http://www.dancescape.com/mydancefriends/ (you might have to join for access). If you look in the section "Fashion @ the dance" they have quite a bit of info on sewing lycra, difference between one way and two way stretch etc... It's all over my head, but might be helpful. Unfortunately, I think there was a bust up between the people who run the board and the main contributor to the Fashion section, so it's all a bit dead now.
    EEEEEK Lycra

Hmmmm this aint quite so flimsy

However I started so I will finish.

Tess I opted for the normal tension my machine is set for and it tended to pucker (don't we all) so I reduced it and its sewing up great! So thanks for the help

All I need now is an Overlocker!

mmmmmmmmmm interesting thread.
    As a fairly adept seamstress I would (and have) slightly pull the fabric as sewing as this stops the puckering effect. You also use normal tension with the stitch length slightly larger than normal as opposed to altering the tension itself as you will find when doing this, that after a while the actual stitching comes apart cos it has no "tension" to actually keep it held together, especially after all the tension that is applied to it because of its stretchy nature. Does that make sense??
    You also stitch in the same direction as the stretch itself is.
    Hope this is useful and another absolutely top tip to bear in mind.
    Make it up ANY way you want to, get completely s**t faced on the night you gonna wear, put on your cleanest, sexiest undies (or none at all ) and dance like mad.Then when it all falls apart you'll be covered for every eventuality and you also won't give a damm!
    Good Luck!
    xx

I've been recommended to use ball point needles.

Also try to use a machine with a stretch stitch facility. But you have to sew it correctly first time because it won't be possible to unpick it.

Is it jersey fabric you are using? Like t-shirt material? That's usually used vertically, so the greatest stretch goes sideways, as Tessalicious says, but it is sometimes used the other way.

I've had huge trouble sewing stretch fabrics to give a professional result on my machine, and have decided the only solution is an overlocker. But is it worth the £100 + outlay? Anyone interested in sharing one?

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd recommend using a zigzag stitch, when using a machine! It has the ability to stretch without 'pulling'
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Commercial Operator

I'd recommend giving the job to someone who's done it many times before - it's what I'd do. And, if I thought I might need to do it in the future I'd ask loads of questions and ask if I could watch.

well did them.

if they fall apart i have only my self to blame

Ta for the advice peeps

Thread Information