Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Explosions and Bombs in London

Commercial Operator

Re: Explosions and Bombs in London

Have been watching all the news coverage of ths attrocity.....after yesterdays celebrations, it certainly brings you back down to earth with a thud!........Relieved to hear all our London Forumites are safe and well........but it just brings home how vulnerable we are to such attacks. Should imagine that anyone who depends on public transport will now worry about their safety every time they travel ....

Commercial Operator

Princes Street in Edinburgh is closed while army bomb disposal men examine a suspicious parcel on a bus!!!.......everyone seems to be getting quite edgy now.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon
    Princes Street in Edinburgh is closed while army bomb disposal men examine a suspicious parcel on a bus!!!.......everyone seems to be getting quite edgy now.....
    Having lived in London all my life, and having had bombs go off within 200 yards of where I live, I can honestly say my strongest memory of the last big incident isn't hearing the bangs in the middle of night; it's the severe transport problems caused by security scares in the aftermath.

Crazy how it gets to you like that, but I can honestly remember on occasions stuck in a tunnel thinking - "S*d it! Let's all huddle below window height, let the driver go through the suspended station without stopping, and we'll all take our chances. Got to be better than putting up with this level of disruption all the time". Humans don't have particularly good mechanisms for assessing risk!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB
    Despite the problems in London today, we have received several calls in the office asking us not to bow to terrorists and to run Fulham Town Hall tonight.

I'm sorry, but I find this rather sick. About 40 people are dead. My hospital has been on major incident alert all day. The police are asking people not to travel, the tubes are all closed. I say please leave the roads and buses for essential workers to get home - 4 buses and 2 hours it took me.

And you want to dance??????

may be I am in delayed shock?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Ballroom queen
    The police are asking people not to travel, the tubes are all closed. I say please leave the roads and buses for essential workers to get home -
    Sounds like a pretty sensible request to me.......

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin
    Humans don't have particularly good mechanisms for assessing risk!

...at least, not the ones we face in modern society. Richard Dawkins points out the the human brain evolved to deal with geometrical, arithmetical and probabilistic aspects of hunting small herds of large mammals moving slowly across the savannah.
    No underground transport systems and violently obsessive types there, then....

Maybe I'm too cynical but are the news reporters and anchorpersons smacking their lips? Wall to wall news, extended programs, news specials...

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

And you want to dance??????
    People deal with things in different ways.

It's perfectly valid to me, either to stay in, or indeed to go out, as a mark of respect - the important thing is the respect, not how you as a person manifest it.

I don't believe anyone in London is unaffected. But if we let them alter our love for and way of life, they win.

I say please leave the roads and buses for essential workers to get home - 4 buses and 2 hours it took me.
    Awww...
    But I suspect the roads are not a major problem now, and a few ceroc-ers woudln't make a difference one way or t'other.

may be I am in delayed shock?
    Hope not, but clearly staying in is right for you - hope you feel OK soon.
    We're all likely to be in minor shock for a few days, at least. Stick in there. And, what the heck, have another for luck...

Like everyone else dismayed and horrified by today's events. Was due to be in the area myself but opted for teleconference instead, and the London end shut down while buildings were evacuated..

Glad to hear that the Forumites are OK - take care and keep dancing...

Dave

really releaved that everyone seems OK.. a few more I would like to hear from, but happy about those who have "reported in"

Am I the only one who noticed a strange coincedence (Irony? Fate's sick sense of humor?) that the bus bomb blew up outside the British Medical Practice building? I wonder if it was planned?

53 now reported dead. Very sad. And yet it could have been much worse, and this incident might help London be better prepared and more alert and able to prevent a future 'worse' attack as a result of this experience. Small comfort though to those who have lost loved ones.

Whether people go out or not is up to them I think. People do deal with things differently and sometimes carrying on 'as normal' is the easiest and most helpful thing to do, esp in light of terrorist attacks when they are aiming to be disruptive. So for those who did go out dancing, I hope it defused the tension, stress and worry of the day.

Hi there to all
    Still commute down to London a few times each week and was running late today due to the demands of being a mummy. Feeling very stressed when finally hit the motorway, possibly travelling FAR too fast in order to get there not as late as could have been. My mobile started to go wild and Mr Angelique
    just told me to get off the motorway and get home, do not enter London, do not pass go and collect ÂŁ200 etc etc.
    Being a soldier and privvy to more information than us I didn't question it and then turned the radio on to hear the abhorrent news.
    So am home safe and sound but feeling a little sick and praying to whoever to keep him and many others safe and sound in this horrid fight against those evil bas****s who want to kill us all.
    Love to everyone on here and keep you and yours safe

p.s He's not telling me anything which worries me more than when he does talk about things to me! Fingers crossed

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Just to all the London forumites. Hope all your loved ones are safe and well.
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

So pleased so many of you have checked in to let us know you are OK. I have been thinking of all my lovely friends in London from both Ceroc and the British Library, all so close to the mayhem. Still haven't heard from a couple of them.

Big hugs and Lots of love, Debster

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    Whether people go out or not is up to them I think. People do deal with things differently and sometimes carrying on 'as normal' is the easiest and most helpful thing to do, esp in light of terrorist attacks when they are aiming to be disruptive. So for those who did go out dancing, I hope it defused the tension, stress and worry of the day.
    I've been thinking about this a lot since last night - the "Is it right to dance / enjoy yourself?" question. And the general reactions of people to crises. And the whole "cost of living in London" thing I was referring to a few days ago.

In a crisis, there will be some people who are magnificent - not just the superb emergency services ( ), but ordinary members of the public who become heroes. They help the injured, they save lives and risk their own in the process.

There will be some people whose actions are exploitative - looters, hotel owners, people selling photos of the dead and dying, and so on.

And there will be most of us who just try to survive or get on with our lives - not being able to deal with these issues; or more appropriately, our method of dealing is to live our lives as normal, and perhaps try to help out in a small way where we can (for example, giving lifts to people home if you have a car). I'm in this third group, I believe.

So, I'll continue to live my life as normal, and yes, that means I'll go out dancing as I'd already planned to. And hopefully I'll have a good time.

Even if I do have to try this silly "raisins" line...

I had reported last night 53 dead as I had heard that on ITV, but reports are actually still at 37 dead, 17 critical (though apparently one paper is claiming 75 dead but then when are newspapers accurate?). Apologies for passing on mis-information.

Just wanted to mention a HUGE to all the unsung heroes from yesterday. Not just the AMAZING work of the hospital staff and emergency services but also found out today that the staff at Marks and Spencer on Edgware Road not only handed out free water and food, started handing out blankets but when the blankets ran out, started to take clothes off the hangers to hand out to people to keep them warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy
    Just wanted to mention a HUGE to all the unsung heroes from yesterday. Not just the AMAZING work of the hospital staff and emergency services but also found out today that the staff at Marks and Spencer on Edgware Road not only handed out free water and food, started handing out blankets but when the blankets ran out, started to take clothes off the hangers to hand out to people to keep them warm.

Thank you. I have to say the major incident plans worked VERY well.

As for dancing last night my main concern was that the police had politely asked people only to travel if essential.

Registered User Purple Sparkler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy

I have to say that the field hospital being set up in Marks and Spencers made me think 'yep, this is Britain alright!'.

Quote Originally Posted by cerocmetro
    Glad to hear you are OK. It took me two hours to get through to Mandy in NZ. She was at Ceroc when she heard and the class almost stopped to hear the news. Everyone ran to a phone to get in touch with loved ones over here.

Is Fulham still on tonight?
    Fulham went ahead last night as planned, and even though the group was small, led by Simon B we formed a great group not willing to bow to the fear and pressure put upon us. Simon gave a great few words at the end and it made me very proud to be in London. Not to mention learning a great aussie fave the Go Cat and variations thereof.

Ceroc in Adelaide where I am from were all very relieved to hear I was okay and received many emails from everyone wishing myself and everyone here well.

Im convinced that even though there is evil in the world, there are still a number of angels masquerading as humans out there and I think I may know some of them

Hugs to all.

Thread Information