Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Explosions and Bombs in London

Re: Explosions and Bombs in London

For those that believe may a few prayers for the injured and bereaved might not go amiss. For those that don’t, maybe still a time for quite contemplation. Whatever happens, the worst thing that can now happen is for blind rage, the need for vengeance and uninformed speculation can lead to greater wrongs.

Maybe the truth of the matter is that this is the new world. You can't make an open transport system in any major city totally secure. Maybe London (along with other major European cities) will now have to endure a future of attacks as previously experienced in Belfast, N Spain and Israel

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe
    Just got news from a friend - he was travelling into Kings Cross on the tube this morning. The train pulled into the deserted station with the tanoy repeating 'Evacuate the Station'. The doors stayed shut. The driver then came on to say he realised they could hear the tanoy but he was told to not move and not open the doors. They stayed like that for 20 mins. Ouch. Scary stuff when you have no clue whats happening.

When the passengers were let out to be greeted by chaos outside, he then heard the huge explosion from the bus at Russell Square.
    This reminds me of an incident that happend when I was on London Underground some years back. We pulled into the station and heard "There has been a bomb scare, please evacuate the station", but the doors on the train would not open. The train driver came over the tannoy and said to remain calm and that we were being taken to the next station once he got the go-ahead. We were stuck on that train for about fifteen minutes waiting in those conditions and it was horrible. Luckily on that occasion it was a false alarm.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    For those that believe may a few prayers for the injured and bereaved might not go amiss. For those that don’t, maybe still a time for quite contemplation. Whatever happens, the worst thing that can now happen is for blind rage, the need for vengeance and uninformed speculation can lead to greater wrongs.

Maybe the truth of the matter is that this is the new world. You can't make an open transport system in any major city totally secure. Maybe London (along with other major European cities) will now have to endure a future of attacks as previously experienced in Belfast, N Spain and Israel

Im okay as well, although am very freaked out about everything. All my family and friends from Australia were trying to get through but couldn't because the phones were down. Mum and Dad were beside themselves. It really upset me. Ive never heard my dad like that before. I almost thought he was going to put me on a plane home then and there. Made me cry.

I was at the Jive Bar last night so it is a bit freaky knowing that I was where all this happened this morning. How do you others feel that were there last night..? R-K, Sparkles, Foxy?

Im still planning to go to Fulham tonight to some how make a small but I feel important stand.

Hugs to all

Ceroc Franchisee & Teacher cerocmetro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KatieR
    Im okay as well, although am very freaked out about everything. All my family and friends from Australia were trying to get through but couldn't because the phones were down. Mum and Dad were beside themselves. It really upset me. Ive never heard my dad like that before. I almost thought he was going to put me on a plane home then and there. Made me cry.

I was at the Jive Bar last night so it is a bit freaky knowing that I was where all this happened this morning. How do you others feel that were there last night..? R-K, Sparkles, Foxy?

Im still planning to go to Fulham tonight to some how make a small but I feel important stand.

Hugs to all
    Glad to hear you are OK. It took me two hours to get through to Mandy in NZ. She was at Ceroc when she heard and the class almost stopped to hear the news. Everyone ran to a phone to get in touch with loved ones over here.

Is Fulham still on tonight?

Network Rail now say all but Kings Cross station are now open, and they're urging people to travel home now, while the stations are quiet.

Source: Sky News

Quote Originally Posted by KatieR
    Its not the size of the action that matters but the strength of the conviction behind it. Hope you are among friends there.

The Oracle

Quote Originally Posted by cerocmetro
    Is Fulham still on tonight?
    Got this email from Dave Bradley:

Despite the problems in London today, we have received several calls in the office asking us not to bow to terrorists and to run Fulham Town Hall tonight.

We can also confirm that the Casbah with the 'Jive Aces' will also be running tomorrow night.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB

Despite the problems in London today, we have received several calls in the office asking us not to bow to terrorists and to run Fulham Town Hall tonight.

We can also confirm that the Casbah with the 'Jive Aces' will also be running tomorrow night.
    Go Ceroc!! Considering all I think its a brave decision and one that deserves to be supported. I really wish I could have made it but Fulham is a little too far to walk from the Wharf

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB

Good Call

They can't win if we don't let them

Commercial Operator

ok about to set off home had no calls for help so far but i will check when i get home, safe traveling everyone ...

Commercial Operator

A recent travel report:-

No tubes will be running all day.
    Al Zone 1 buses remain suspended.
    The DLR is now running (I'm not clear if it is a reduced service)
    All mainline stations are now open except King's cross, they are hoping to open suburban services from there later.

Taxi queues are solid everywhere.

There are road closures in the following areas:-
    Liverpool st
    Aldgate
    Russell sq
    Canary wharf

And at Wembley, the Blue concert is cancelled tonight, but will go ahead tomorrow and Saturday.

Greg

Oh please the BLUE concert!! THat is just terrible!! What has the world come to? They should make a stand! I am gutted! NOT!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by cicamica
    I am gutted! NOT!
    Well I was a bit surprised that it seemed to major in the news. But I suppose an extra 10,000 (anyone know the size of Wembley Arena?) people trying to travel there without tube trains would be an extra problem.

Latest news, buses are now running in Zone 1, but with major delays.

It looks like most people should be able to get home sometime tonight...

Greg

24 hours will not pass before somebody starts utilising these events as further justification for unduly pervasive ID cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    Bombs are extremely destructive, but at least when they did plant bombs here in NI they usually gave warnings.

We used to have pretty high security levels in Belfast. I remember going into M&S on Oxford St on a visit to London and holding my handbag open for the security man on the door who looked at me in amazement - but that was what we did here when we went into any shops, your bag was checked (stopped years ago).

The people who were stuck on the tube will have been terrified and those injured will be traumatised, even if their injuries aren't too bad. I'll be praying for the families of those killed.

It seems the emergency services have been great, you can be proud of them.

To all those still stuck in the centre of London, I hope your journey home isn't too long or tiring.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov
    24 hours will not pass before somebody starts utilising these events as further justification for unduly pervasive ID cards.
    Let's debate ID cards here.

Would it really make a difference unless these cards are particularly high tech it will be easy to manufacture should a terrorist or some like would want to - and for the rest of us it will cost us (in tax or out of our pockets)

Most of us have a card with our photo one - be it a 'club' card or driver's licence or even our passport (or a bus pass), that should be enough to identify us if we really need to

These guys are pros they will get where and into what they want as the need takes them

from the "ID" thread
    Quote Originally Posted by David James
    ID cards won't stop a suicide bomber, they didn't help in Madrid, New York doesn't want them - and neither do I
    Last edited by Minnie M; 7th-July-2005 at 06:16 PM.

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

A bad day for the capital. I hope everyone gets home tonight. Good work by all the emergency services.
    Stay safe one and all.

I know that when terrible events happen like these it arouses our less positive emotions. I pray for those who have been hurt and for the families and friends of those who have been killed. I feel especially bad for those tourists or people from abroad for whom news of their involvment may take time to discover. However, there is also a good side. Millions of people are contacting others to communicate to them and say are you ok? Just like people have been doing on this forum! Family members are contacting each other and friends are contacting each other. I have spoken to nearly all my family today and to many of my friends. We are all saying that it is important for me to know that you are ok. I think there is also some goodness that will come of this.

Thread Information