Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Explosions and Bombs in London

Glitter Queen

Re: Explosions and Bombs in London

And Groovy Dancer Too.

just heard that my sister, her partner and another friend in London are all safe.

Sisters Partner - was complaining about it taking so long to get to work - until he found out why - his train passed through one of the stations just minutes before an explosion apparently.

my thoughts are with you all

Tony Blair just been on TV, he's leaving G8 to visit London (returning tonight) and he belives it is a terrorist attack

Al-Qaeda europe website, just claimed responsibility (on news 24)
    Peter
    Last edited by Lounge Lizard; 7th-July-2005 at 12:13 PM.

Glad to hear that you guys are OK. I have been in a building (under the desk, still on the phone) with controlled explosions going on outside and its un-nerving. And I know it will be a real headache for everyone trying to get home tonight, so my thoughts are with you. I hope you are all able to get in touch with loved ones soon to reassure yourself that they are OK.

Sir Iain Blair, Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police Service has just given a public safety briefing issuing the following guidelines:

People should remain where they are (until any further updates are given) and remain calm.

All public transport in greater London has been suspended until further notice.

Further updates will be given throughout the day.

Please do not call the emergency services unless it is an emergency.

Ceroc Franchisee & Teacher cerocmetro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lounge Lizard
    Tony Blair just been on TV, he's leaving G8 to visit London (returning tonight) and he belives it is a terrorist attack
    Peter
    Gee you think?

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

I've just had half a text from a friend saying his work have told him to stay indoors with the room blinds down and that bombs are "going off under his nose" . . . .

Its very odd in Canary Wharf at the moment. The offices are usually a lively place ... today there is no laughter, no smiles ... a sombre place. We're in a very real crisis situation, we've been informed that the entire Wharf is locked down, no one comes in, no one leaves ... not that there is any transportation to take you anywhere. At the same time I think everyone is very glad for the tight security here because we know that after the City, Canary Wharf is the next big target. We've all got the problem of how to get home, but at least we are safe. After the first few hours of closely monitoring the (fragmented) news most people are now just getting on with work as usual.

So ... what happens tomorrow. Transport permitting, people have a choice. they can play safe and avoid an 'increased risk' ... or we can carry on life as normal and not let the terrorists win. Not a easy choice. there is suppose to be a group of us meeting tomorrow night for a meal out. Despite the awfulness of what has happened today, I hope we all make it. Sometimes there are things more important than taking the safe route. At the end of the day, the chances of being involved in a terrorist attack, even in London, are still extremely small. Maybe now is the time to stand up and be counted?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

hope thats the end of it and everyone is ok.

Im in Edinburgh this week but my office in London has issued an email telling everyone to stay inside just now and worry about travel home later - the travel issue is going to be a problem later today!

Shocked and stunned!!!

Glad to hear of those of you reporting that you are okay. I'll be thinking of you all and hope all your families and friends are okay. I'll keep an eye on the thread so I can keep up to date on your reports.

Jill x

I am ok. Luckily I have changed offices recently so work in Wembley instead in the centre of London.

I hear that there is a least 20 people dead and hope that there is not many more.

Adding to the roll-call, Bryony is fine as well (I think her hospital is on major incident alert though...)

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    So ... what happens tomorrow. Transport permitting, people have a choice. they can play safe and avoid an 'increased risk' ... or we can carry on life as normal and not let the terrorists win. Not a easy choice. there is suppose to be a group of us meeting tomorrow night for a meal out. Despite the awfulness of what has happened today, I hope we all make it. Sometimes there are things more important than taking the safe route. At the end of the day, the chances of being involved in a terrorist attack, even in London, are still extremely small. Maybe now is the time to stand up and be counted?
    We had problems about this time of year a few years ago due to Drumcree. Not concern about bombs (though there has been that in the past), but cars (and buses) were being hijacked and burned, roads barricaded. So people just didn't go out at night unless they could walk to where they were going. Very frustrating at how easy it is to disrupt everyday life.

But this in London is on a different scale and hitting transport networks alone is sufficient to cause widespread disruption.

The Oracle

Quote Originally Posted by Pammy
    My cousin works at Canary Wharf and they are now evacuating there, not sure if "just in case" or if they have heard something is up...
    I'm in Canary Wharf, and most people still seem to be at work. There are loads of police and security around, and all the buildings are doing ID checks at the entrances.

There was a rumour that to police stopped a suspected bomber getting to canary wharf, but not heard anything else about that yet.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A friends husband is a policeman right in the thick of it and he's just spoken to her (from a land line) saying, he's been given an hours break, after having to witness some horrific scenes, apparently he's described it as 'limbs everywhere'
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Blog Entries

Ahh... Swindon station's just reopened by the looks of it. They'd apparently found a suspect package there, but luckily it looks like a false alarm.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy
    I hear that there is a least 20 people dead
    I do hope that is a seriously pessimistic report.
    So far there are 2 confirmed dead, from Aldgate East. Regarding the bus explosions, it is actually just one explosion on a bus at Tavistock Sq. with one uncomfirmed dead. Everybody is now out of Edgware Rd tube Station, and injuries "may be in the tens rather than the hundreds."

In addition to the bus, there have been 6 reported explosions, at these stations:-
    Edgware Rd
    King's Cross
    Liverpool St
    Russell Sq
    Aldgate East
    Moorgate

The BBC News 24 is now pretty much on "repeat" mode, ie they are just repeating news and interviews that have previously been transmitted, presumably because nothing much new is now coming in, and it will be some time before facts can be established.

To repeat what the police are saying, - "Stay where you are" ie don't try to make any journeys in central London, because there is no transport. Buses in zone 1 are currently all suspended, and the entire tube network is closed. Also, only use the emergency services in "life threatening situations."

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepman
    In addition to the bus, there have been 6 reported explosions, at these stations:-
    Edgware Rd
    King's Cross
    Liverpool St
    Russell Sq
    Aldgate East
    Moorgate
    Bombs can be very disruptive, they have been used here, but usually with warnings so that people can be evacuated away from the area (though not always correct information as was the case in Omagh and not always enough time to evacuate safely).

Good to hear that things aren't maybe as bad as feared in terms of casualties but still very sad for those who have been killed or injured.

Map of blasts in London attached:

If anyone is going to be stranded and can't make it home home I can try and get my car to the edge of London, pick you up and offer your food and shelter in Maidstone (kent) until this thing is over. I should imagine that the airports will be sealed down tight as well.

If you think I can help then PM me. Whatever it takes for as long as it takes.

Thread Information