Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The next Big Thing?

Re: The next Big Thing?

Quote Originally Posted by cerocmetro
    For example now we have a very American attitude for sueing, airsteps are not taught in classes.
    Evidence? In all the years of Ceroc the only litigation I heard of was an instructor being sued for actualy dropping and damaging a dancer on the floor. I've seen LOADS of lessons, dancing and poor venue management that could legitmately resulted in legal action, but it never does.

I would say that airsteps are not taught from a common sense perspective (not that that has stopped some instructors teaching them ). I would far prefer to see a focus on 'back to basics', dancers learning to dance rather than just learning moves etc.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The next big thing will be something like everyone doing body rolls, or dancing one handed or breaking away from each other and doing cartwheels.
    Not at our age

Wait until someone sues another person for having bad breath
    Am I the only one who thinks this'd be a Good Idea?

Ceroc Franchisee & Teacher cerocmetro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    Evidence? In all the years of Ceroc the only litigation I heard of was an instructor being sued for actualy dropping and damaging a dancer on the floor. I've seen LOADS of lessons, dancing and poor venue management that could legitmately resulted in legal action, but it never does.

I would say that airsteps are not taught from a common sense perspective (not that that has stopped some instructors teaching them ). I would far prefer to see a focus on 'back to basics', dancers learning to dance rather than just learning moves etc.

Actually there has been a case in the UK. I do not know if I should say who when and where, those involved know.

I think the whole big "big next thing" thing is about influences on Ceroc NOT what new dance style is going to take over. We are only talking about the minority still.
    I don't think anyone has really been arguing differently. Of course, since the minority tends to include a lot of teachers and competitors, the influence does percolate back to the mainstream to some extent.

The MINORITY of Cerocers want to learn something new once having mastered the basics. The minority of the minority become good dancers and actually learn complete new style whereas the majority of the minority bring elements from the other styles back into their Ceroc.
    And this is where I think Will's comment was actually pretty bang on: what is the "new style" going to be? At one point, every aspriring "good dancer" was advised to look at dancing Blues. And there have always been Lindy enthusiasts claiming it was the natural progression from MJ. But now it's WCS that seems to be filling that role. [None of these dances have replaced MJ, nor would I expect them to].

The next big thing will be something like everyone doing body rolls, or dancing one handed or breaking away from each other and doing cartwheels.
    Actually, in terms of impact, "drops and seducers" workshops (and the aforementioned transfer of ideas to regular classes) definitely qualify as a "Big Thing". They've certainly made a very visible difference to the dancing at a typical venue.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Not sure about that Will.
    WCS hit here in 1998 when Robert Cordoba came over for the first time. I think one of his first performances was at Chigwell.

:
    Yeah i remember Adam having him perform at Chelmsford around this time. I still watch the video now and wish i could dance west coast half as well as they do.

Re: Aussie Style

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin

I think this is a big difference that Katie has remarked on. I don't really do fast drops anymore. I can't reliably do them without putting unacceptable stress on my and my wife's joints. And I suspect if I can't do it with a partner I've been competing with for several years, not many can do it in general freestyle.
    Also there is still the age old rule of asking if the person you are dancing with is able to do these moves.

Katie out of curiosity do Aussie girls have rubber bushes in their shoulders
    Maybe we have got it all wrong here, maybe it should not be about the next big thing in dance terms, but in body enhancements. eg stretchy arm extentions, sprung loaded legs etc
    darn.. .the secrets out!

Also to add on to Gus' point.. I dont think Aerials (or airsteps as they seem to be called here) should be taught in general lessons.. Only in specific workshops where the class is tailored for those moves with people spotting and on mats so that if anything does go wrong there is a very minimal chance of in injury occuring... if anyone IS learning aerials in a standard class I would seriously consider the professionalism of the teacher as it puts everyone in danger.

Quote Originally Posted by Chef
    Getting Steve Lampert off the ground!!!! Now theres a challenge. I think he even generates his own gravitational field - if the way ladies stick to him is anything to go by. If you need a hand with this one Andy, give me a call. I had better get off down to the gym.

You'd better do some serious working out - look what happened to the last person who tried! And you're right, it looks like she's well and truly stuck to him...

R-K
    Attached Images Attached Images

.............I would far prefer to see a focus on 'back to basics', dancers learning to dance rather than just learning moves etc.

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by cerocmetro View Post
    Interesting that you should have brought this up just when we are about to release a new concept.

We have been working on a fusion of Kick boxing and Tango. It involves a lot of jumping up and down and we use "pneumatic tunes" utilising the delicate harmonies of a sledge hammer on concrete. We are calling it "Kango"

We have also started a lot of Blues into Tango, "Bango"

and of course Ceroc fused with Rhumba, Aerobics and Pole dancing. Struggling with a name for that one

Adam

Ah a post I wrote a wee while ago. I had completely forgotten about it until I received an email today about "BLANGO" at the Escape weekenders, well really come on lads I remember when Ceroc used to be spelt "gossip" but Blango?

And great marketing, a wedding, oi, vot an idea Congrats David and Val about time

Blango,

Blango,
    We know they already do Blues.
    Well if they did a course on Swing, which is possible, as they are already dabbling with WCS,

they could have Bling - Bling!

Quote Originally Posted by Raul View Post
    We know they already do Blues.
    Well if they did a course on Swing, which is possible, as they are already dabbling with WCS,

they could have Bling - Bling!
    I cant believe I missed that one, brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    - "Australian style" - don't ask me, but if I had to guess, it'd be "lots and lots of moves in a routine"

So not only do I not think there's a Next Big Thing, I'm not convinced there have been Previous Big Things...
    Australian style is as varied as in the UK when it comes to Ceroc. Presently there is a big WCS influence, and three years ago it was funk and hip hop (but you could not tell now of any influence in the majority of dancers here). However, there are a few exceptions and they seem to be the more athletic types using hip hop and funk. As far as lots and lots of moves go, in your description I dont think this is as important as presenting style, technique, maintain form throughout the dance.
    The influence of WCS is because so many cerocers in Australia have had very little dance training nor tried other styles and therefore, WCS gives them a sense of becoming a dancer (footwork is compulsory in WCS - unlike ceroc where nobody seems to bother with the technical aspects of the step footwork anymore). I know of people learning WCS and being so excited about stepping of the left foot for the lead (rather than right foot as in ceroc). Unfortunately, the WCS crew in Australia tend to think WCS is the answer to ceroc being more creative.
    Last edited by David Bailey; 14th-August-2007 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Fixed quotes

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth View Post
    Australian style is as varied as in the UK when it comes to Ceroc.
    We do have a specific "What is Aussie Style" thread, which was quite interesting and probably could do with being refreshed

Blango?
    Aye, what's wrong with "Tango Blues"? Though, based on the likely content of the class, it should probably be called Blochoes.

Thread Information