Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Posting

Thumbs down Fly Posting

Remembering that we all do have an opinion and that we as individuals have a right to that opinion I wish to ask the forum in general if 'it' too has noticed a tendency toward what I shall term Fly Posting of late.

At certain times of the day there will be period when every single active thread will have a last post from the same people.
    As a rule I try very hard to take everything I see in here with a huge pinch of salt especially as all I know of most of you are your reported opinions.
    But at the moment it seems that some of our clan seem to have an inordinate amount of opinions to spread about and that this is done with less concern to the opinions that went before than some of our less prolific posters would give.
    Some posts (not the silly ones the serious stuff) seem to be scrutinised to the most minute detail and each detail separated from the others and dissembled and attacked until the true thought and meaning behind the original post is lost? Nothing seems to be gained from this – except maybe p1ssing of the originator, which was my own experience as I don't in turn feel a true opinion is returned offering more information or a better understanding.

Personally, when I actually make myself reply to a post, I really need to feel I can add something, possibly only humour, but I try and add to the value of a thread not just detract or belittle the opinions before.

I understand I am a relative Newbie in this forum and therefore may be making a huge faux par here and before I find myself even more the estranged grumpy old man that I am – anyone else got an opinion on my opinion?
    Have I just highlighted something you've become aware of too. . . or am I hypersenstive?

Lights blue touch paper and withdraws in my drop ship to a minimum safe distance. Come on Sigourney get me out of here.

up the motorway, turn left, turn left, through the bends.......

Re: Fly Posting

Know what you mean but i think you are taking it too seriously. Chill out & have a laugh. Imagine you are talking face to face with someone how many times have you gone off on a totally different tangent & can't work out what the original conversation was about & how you got to where you are.

Relax, have some chocolate & a bottle of wine, it will all make sense then

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Locket
    Know what you mean but i think you are taking it too seriously. Chill out & have a laugh. Imagine you are talking face to face with someone how many times have you gone off on a totally different tangent & can't work out what the original conversation was about & how you got to where you are.

Relax, have some chocolate & a bottle of wine, it will all make sense then

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers
    Remembering that we all do have an opinion and that we as individuals have a right to that opinion I wish to ask the forum in general if 'it' too has noticed a tendency toward what I shall term Fly Posting of late.

At certain times of the day there will be period when every single active thread will have a last post from the same people.
    Oops...

This probably reflects how I access the Forum. I mainly use the New Posts button, then scan-and-reply to the posts displayed on that. I generally don't have much time to browse the different categories, so I go for the "intense" speed-reading/replying option.

It almost certainly means a lot of the stuff I write (possibly including this post) is junk, and also means my name appear like a rash across the board at some points - apologies if this is annoying

this is done with less concern to the opinions that went before than some of our less prolific posters would give.
    Excellent point - I know I should try to do a bit more research before charging in, for example. Thanks for reminding me; there are 100,000+ messages in the Forums already, there's every chance that excellent answers and points were made which should be revived. We can't always rely on MartinHarper

Some posts (not the silly ones the serious stuff) seem to be scrutinised to the most minute detail and each detail separated from the others and dissembled and attacked until the true thought and meaning behind the original post is lost?
    Hmmm, I'd join the "chillout crowd" on this one - that's just the nature of some people, or all of us at some point.

but I try and add to the value of a thread not just detract or belittle the opinions before.
    We should all aim for this.

I understand I am a relative Newbie in this forum and therefore may be making a huge faux par here and before I find myself even more the estranged grumpy old man that I am – anyone else got an opinion on my opinion?
    'Well, it's "faux pas", actually'
    I'm a much-more newbie, that never stops me (maybe you've noticed). There's a fine line between respecting seniority and deferring to it.

Have I just highlighted something you've become aware of too. . . or am I hypersenstive?
    I think they're good points in general. Thanks.

Blog Entries

Some posts (not the silly ones the serious stuff) seem to be scrutinised to the most minute detail and each detail separated from the others and dissembled and attacked until the true thought and meaning behind the original post is lost? Nothing seems to be gained from this – except maybe p1ssing of the originator, which was my own experience as I don't in turn feel a true opinion is returned offering more information or a better understanding.
    Sorry, but you've totally lost me. It's obvious that you feel very strongly about it (and that you've had it as your own experience), but I honestly have no idea what you're on about. Could you give some examples, so that I can check to see if I'm guilty (As I post far too much, too). Cheers.

Commercial Operator

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

I think you're misinterpreting the situation: if you log on to the forum at a quiet time (late at night, say, or early in the morning) and post five or six replies then they all show up in a line at the top of the new posts page, because there's no one else posting. But if you do exactly same during the day your five or six posts arent so obvious because other people add new posts to the same threads and to other threads that knock yours down the page.
    It does keep Gadget out of mischief though...

Some posts (not the silly ones the serious stuff) seem to be scrutinised to the most minute detail and each detail separated from the others and dissembled and attacked until the true thought and meaning behind the original post is lost?
    Aye, seen numerous incidents of this. Shame really because some very good debates have been swamped by (IMHO) inane ramblings. I know it can be amusing to start swoping witisisms and making risque commenst but can't these comments be removed to the Chat area where they belong?

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    I think you're misinterpreting the situation: if you log on to the forum at a quiet time (late at night, say, or early in the morning) and post five or six replies then they all show up in a line at the top of the new posts page, because there's no one else posting. But if you do exactly same during the day your five or six posts arent so obvious because other people add new posts to the same threads and to other threads that knock yours down the page.
    I was going to say that too, I've noticed that its much more prevalent if logging on late at night. And if you are on the forum fairly often (which I am at times ) you might read the updates of threads you have already been following, or have previously posted on, and add a comment. If you have been following several threads then this will mean your name may appear as last poster for several threads in a row. If you rarely log on, then suddenly post on lots of threads, yes, that can be irritating.

I think i'm guilty of all the above
    As a newbie to the forum and a P.C. its hard enough trying to cut and paste a quote....(havent got the hang of it yet)
    Its all trial and error, I find that even when asked to post a PM by the person concerned, when I do THATS wrong!!!!!!!! now I find that logging on and posting lots of reply's is a no,no perhaps Frank could post a guide line as i'm sure I will be making lots more mistakes without knowing

You log in, you check the new posts, you reply to any you want to, and you log out again.
    I use the "todays posts" as a root page, then open new tabs/windows for every new post I'm interested in - reply to those I want to and close them down once read/replied to. Refresh the "todays posts" once done to see if there's anything new and perhaps start the process again.
    As a rule I try very hard to take everything I see in here with a huge pinch of salt especially as all I know of most of you are your reported opinions.
    Erm... so what more do you know about anyone you meet? You present yourself through your posts here and the language you use {abuse }. What more do you know of someone you spend 3min on the dance floor with? As a rule I try very hard to take everything I see here at face value* and not let my own view point change what is said into what I think was said.
    {*There are a few people who make themselves exceptions of course }
    But at the moment it seems that some of our clan seem to have an inordinate amount of opinions to spread about and that this is done with less concern to the opinions that went before than some of our less prolific posters would give.
    Do you mean "chit-chat"? Idle banter and 'talking' rather than discussing? I'm afraid it's all part of the exciting and vibrant world of forums. Everyone is guilty of it at some point and I agree that it's annoying when a discussion is just getting interesting and innane/binal comments distract it into drivel. The moderators can only do so much without it becoming a militant state - to limit this, you need self-discapline and knowing when to reply in PM format rather than publicaly.
    I agree, but it depends on how you want to argue - If you want to argue against what was written, then you will debate the points. If you want to discredit the person writing, and therefore what was written, then you will attack the person and the style in which the argument was put forward.
    Personally, I find the latter to only be used when folk can't think up a decent counter-argument or just want to stir it . Or don't know any better. Or have miss-understood the argument and are arguing what they think was said. (or should have been said).
    Personally, when I actually make myself reply to a post, I really need to feel I can add something, possibly only humour, but I try and add to the value of a thread not just detract or belittle the opinions before.
    most of us do. Some of us also have a twisted sense of humor Sometimes the humor is only evident if you know the person.
    Which opinion? I counted at least three. No faux pas: the same thing comes up every few months. You learn to skim over idle chit-chat, ignore stuff that seems personal, and look for people's posts you respect. (...and speed-read/ignore all these four page posts of mine )

Has this thread back-fired yet...?

When posts start getting too detailed for me I have to admit I lose interest pretty quickly. But hey.

Do I have the most 'most recent' posts now?

Hmmm more mixed opinions than I expected in here but plenty of private aggrement.

Opinions I was trying to say - should say something, basically an opinion! It may well not be my opinion and that is cool. I take umbridge at people ripping opinions to pieces without really stating a useful opinion back. Just disagreeing with someone is just petty bickering unless you state your true opinion.

If you want to make a statement make a statement, but make it your own statement not the inverse of all the points that you could quote into your reply.
    Your statements and opinions should be able to stand alone in their own right.

That's my opinion - i just think it's impolite to dissect replies down to paragraphs, or lines. It takes the context of the reply away. Especially so if all thats going to happen is dissagreement.

Oh and for the record I don't need to calm down, I don't need a glass of red wine and chocolate (well the wine maybe but not to calm down with). Red wine and chocolate there's a migraine in the offing!
    All i was after was to see if there were any like minded ppl out there
    and there are!

It don't do anything for me it's just nice to know!

Opinions I was trying to say - should say something, basically an opinion! It may well not be my opinion and that is cool. I take umbridge at people ripping opinions to pieces without really stating a useful opinion back. Just disagreeing with someone is just petty bickering unless you state your true opinion.
    Just a bit confused though, what has that got to do with 'fly posting'? I can't see a correlation between following lots of threads - which is the way some people use the forum and reply to it, and 'petty bickering', or ODA, which is the style some people use in how they post?

I tend to only post in threads where I feel I have something to contribute and try not to go too far off tangent but also feel that I have the right to defend myself if someone says something that isn't true...

is that wrong?

I hope Im not responsible for too many peoples aggravation!

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    Just a bit confused though, what has that got to do with 'fly posting'? I can't see a correlation between following lots of threads - which is the way some people use the forum and reply to it, and 'petty bickering', or ODA, which is the style some people use in how they post?
    Weeelllllll,

IMHO (and i really hate that imho thing but its the done thing init)

If you don't have a real opinion on a topic its easy to just chuck stuff on a thread. Ok we all do add some humour or try to through the week on other peoples threads and thats ok because you ain't detracting (most times) from the real opinion. But with out placing your own opinion in the fray for other people to pick on you can just nit pick on every subject going without fear of anyone returning the favour BECAUSE you didnt make a statement of opinion. This means you can post on every thread everyday beacuse you are not saying anything of note - FLY POSTING as I called it.

If posters were to consider whether they had a valid opinion on every subject they add to, before they did. I'm sure the number of nitpicky or irrelevant posts would decline and the real subject matter remain at the fore of the threads.
    This would also mean that the original posters would not get naffed off and never come back to the threads with further comments.

There are a lot of people out there - like me I hope, that look at the threads and just shy away - in general from posting because you know that your opinion will just be picked to bits. This therefore only leaves the silly threads to play with and these are rich tea biscuits you can devour millions but they never quite hit the spot i.e the fun threads don't give the disscussion element that obviously we like.

is that clearer? And yes it still is only my perception I know!

If one person writes I think ... and another writes I think .... (which is different) all that is learned is the opinion that they hold.

If the second person gives a reason why they think that first person is wrong, and gives a reason why their opinion might be better, then there is the possibility for errors and omissions in knowledge and thinking to be corrected, and for people to learn.

Apologies for any distress caused, but I will remain in the "fly posting" and "dissembling" groups.

is that clearer? And yes it still is only my perception I know!
    Yes, thanks

If I don't have a lot of time, or if I am in a frivolous mood, I head for the 'light' or 'fun' threads. At other times I want something more substantial. I tend to find that when I am working and I want a 5 min break, then I go for those lighter threads and I'm sure many others do too. But on other threads I do like to think about what I am saying, how I am wording it and so will leave those threads till I have more time.

I'm not fond of 'nit picking' but I have commented at posts if I have felt that someone is doing/saying something they have criticised others for doing. And I wouldn't mind if someone pointed out any inconsistencies in my posting too.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    And I wouldn't mind if someone pointed out any inconsistencies in my posting too.
    The above post does not mention shoes ...
    Last edited by Andy McGregor; 5th-July-2005 at 05:27 PM.

I've learned so much from reading the 'technical' bits on this forum, but only ever post in a few because I know so little.

Trouble is, no-one can see me sitting there quietly reading, they only see me being noisy and opinionated on the very few threads I feel I can contribute to or being silly in 'ere

Quote Originally Posted by lynn
    If you have been following several threads then this will mean your name may appear as last poster for several threads in a row.

In the real world, over 90% of communication is non-verbal (93% body/facial expression IIRC). All we get on here is the 7% (well, maybe 9% if you allow a bit extra for the smiley guys) and it can be all too easy to get things 'out of proportion'.

Thread Information