Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To what lengths?

Re: To what lengths?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    Plus, so I'm told, the walls are, ahem, very thin...
    I went back to my cabin at approx 11pm on Saturday night to rest my poor foot (after working all day) this being the most unlikely time anyone would be in their cabins Didn't stay long as the couple in the cabin backing onto mine thought the same but had a different agenda

So if you are a Midlands lass with a chap with a deep voice .... (although they didn't do that much talking) ................

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M
    So if you are a Midlands lass with a chap with a deep voice .... (although they didn't do that much talking) ................
    I wonder if that's the same cabin as my source said? Hmmm, I'll have to get times and dates and compare

(taken me long enough to shake off the TT label...)
    What? You mean Ta...

OK, I won't.

Registered User Purple Sparkler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spindr
    Nudge, nudge, wink, wink -- so, this explains your needing a lift to the Fleet charity dance at "The Lismoyne Hotel"

Hmmm, maybe I'll wander along myself then

SpinDr.
    Well, considering I'm staying over with my PARENTS that night, perhaps that's not the explanation...

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Locket
    You should take care, your life is worth more than a dance. Sorry folks but there are some weird people out there. We all say it won't happen here in our little quiet village but it does, we read about it all the time. Make sure someone is with you at least.
    Its really hard... its really isolating living in the country... dont get me wrong, I do enjoy it.. but I also crave company... I cant win.. I have to say I still feel I made a slight mistake accepting this job and am seriously thinking about quitting...

Quote Originally Posted by KatieR
    After getting the train back to Kent late one night after a Ceroc class and running 20 minutes through a back track in the dark in the middle of the forest to get back home ...

I travel at least 2 hours, twice a week to get to and from dance venues and often find myself racing out of classes early so that I can catch the last train. Probably tempting fate while Im at it by walking down dark country paths at 1 in the morning ..
    Good God Seriously, Katie, you're nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by spindr
    Doesn't sound terribly sensible, to me.

Aside from obvious issues ....

Aren't there any taxis / closer venues?

SpinDr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
    WoW You must be really keen, I don't know if i'd like to be walking alone along dark country paths at 1am. You make sure you take care
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Locket
    You should take care, your life is worth more than a dance. Sorry folks but there are some weird people out there. We all say it won't happen here in our little quiet village but it does, we read about it all the time. Make sure someone is with you at least.
    Just for a bit of balance I think it is by any reasonable measure a sensible balance of risk and reward to go on as you are.

Most people do to tend to heavily overestimate certain tiny risks such as this, while ignoring much bigger risks. I wouldn't be surprised if taking the train and walking down country lanes was considerably safer than driving to dancing in this situation.

I'm not sure if the last stage of your journey is suitable for a mountain bike, but if so with some decent lights it might make the last part of your journey easier, and reduce ankle risk ( though perhaps not overall risk ).

well I drive up t 2 hours from hampshire to Clapham or Fulham once a week to demo or dance... driving there is ok so long as I finish work on time, eating is tricky though! Otherwise I drive the 20 mins to Reading to demo. Getting there is ok, but getting home can be tricky. Especially when being passed by stolen cars with people in balaklavas whizzing past me as happend the other week!! Get home about 1 to get up for work at 6.....fairly long lengths...does not beat running through woods though!

Canterbury, Kent - The garden of England.

Smile Re: To what lengths?

Where abouts in Kent do you live Katie ?
    (You don't have to answer that - for safety's sake)

I would have thought that with the number of venues in Kent, and in particular in the Bromley and Orpington area, not to mention the proximity of London and all that offers, you wouldn't have had to spend so much time travelling.

There are also venues opening up at the moment heading further east in the county.

Quote Originally Posted by frodo
    Just for a bit of balance I think it is by any reasonable measure a sensible balance of risk and reward to go on as you are.

Most people do to tend to heavily overestimate certain tiny risks such as this, while ignoring much bigger risks. I wouldn't be surprised if taking the train and walking down country lanes was considerably safer than driving to dancing in this situation.

I'm not sure if the last stage of your journey is suitable for a mountain bike, but if so with some decent lights it might make the last part of your journey easier, and reduce ankle risk ( though perhaps not overall risk ).
    Its not too bad, just really dark and I have a torch... lots of foxes out though!

Plus Jango was fantastic last night so it was all worth it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigger Andy
    Where abouts in Kent do you live Katie ?
    (You don't have to answer that - for safety's sake)

I would have thought that with the number of venues in Kent, and in particular in the Bromley and Orpington area, not to mention the proximity of London and all that offers, you wouldn't have had to spend so much time travelling.

There are also venues opening up at the moment heading further east in the county.

I like to go to specific venues which aren't unfortunately in kent (im near Otford and Sevenoaks.)

I have to get the tube from the venue to Victoria station, its about 40 minutes on the train then a 35 - 40 minute walk from the train station to the hostel where I live (and work)... so I guess you have to ask yourself how important dancing is to you and I have realised that it is very important!

Did the hours and hours journey up to Southport for the weekender - does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by wicked blue
    Did the hours and hours journey up to Southport for the weekender - does that count?
    Which, this year's clear journey, or last year's 10 1/2 hours nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by KatieR
    Its not too bad, just really dark and I have a torch... lots of foxes out though!
    Would those be silver ones, looking for mushrooms?

Quote Originally Posted by wicked blue
    I dont know.. its not a regular class and lots of people made the journey so its not really going to extra lengths to get somewhere... unless you perhaps walked??

Thread Information