Thread: Personality change....

Personality change....

Inspired by recent popcorn threads, my own extreme nosiness and the updated FAQ...

Do you think you behave exactly the same "online" as in the real world?

I think I may be a leetle (I love that word DJ!) more outspoken online, 'cos you can't see me blush and/or you don't know where I am to be able to thump me.

I know I'm quite "noisy" for a newbie - I belong to so many forums that I'm quite comfortable with the culture (and may I say that this is one of the better ones I belong to? :creep: ). Believe it or not, I'm quieter in real life (even shy sometimes).

Otherwise, I think I'm pretty much the same.

As someone said somewhere or other, it is a bit like pub chat - hence topic drift on threads, etc etc. Unfortunately, on here, you can't see people sitting quietly and listening to the experts - I reckon my dancing has improved no end over the last few weeks from trying to put into practice some of the excellent suggestions on the dance-related topics, but contribute to fewer of these as I can't really add any "value" to some conversations apart from

Re: Personality change....

Quote Originally Posted by NewKid
    Not 'exactly', and have found some people to be different from what you might expect from their posts when you meet them in the 'real world'. Differences usually being either they are quieter in real life than you would think from their posts on here, or they are nicer (that goes for those who seem to prefer more 'robust discussions' on here )
    Believe it or not, I'm quieter in real life (even shy sometimes).
    Me too

Little Miss Jazz Shoes Jazz_Shoes (Ash)'s Avatar

Ummm.....I'd say no, not exactly, I think I speak out a little more in the "real world" although some may not know it-If I feel strongly about something I will express my opinion, and trust me you'll know whem that happens! But normally i'm quite quiet, probably because i'm so indecisive that I can't make up my mind anyway!
    I don't think my forum persona completely does justice to the real thing However, the real way to get an answer to your question would be to get someone else on the forum that knows you to give their opinion, and comparison. So can someone else that knows me tell me if i'm the same in real life, i'd like to know now

However, I would say that i'm alot taller in real life

Ash x

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    , or they are nicer (that goes for those who seem to prefer more 'robust discussions' on here
    In case anyone was wondering, I don't think Lynn means me. We had Lynn to stay for a few nights last October. When she arrived she was a clean living, non-drinking angel - 2am or maybe 3am on her 3rd night with us saw her at our dining table eating a Doner Kebab with Chilli sauce and washing it down with more than one glass of Stella Artois

Andy McGregor
    Corrupter of Angels

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor
    In case anyone was wondering, I don't think Lynn means me. We had Lynn to stay for a few nights last October. When she arrived she was a clean living, non-drinking angel - 2am or maybe 3am on her 3rd night with us saw her at our dining table eating a Doner Kebab with Chilli sauce and washing it down with more than one glass of Stella Artois

Andy McGregor
    Corrupter of Angels

And of course Andy is exactly the same in real life as he is on here

Errrrr....

I dunno? People I dance with have nicknamed me Little Monkey/Cheeky Monkey, and the latest was Mad Monkey.....

.........So that probably means I'm just as shy, modest and quiet in real life as I am on the forum. And I have no sense of humor, and don't know the meaning of the words 'sarcasm' and 'irony'.....

Little Shy Innocent Sweet Monkey

can someone please tell me who gave me rep, you didn't leave me your name!

Thankyou

Ash x

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
    can someone please tell me who gave me rep, you didn't leave me your name!

Thankyou

Ash x
    It can't have been me. I just tried and I can still give you rep

It can't have been me. I just tried and I can still give you rep
    Thankyou Andy You haven't told us what you are like in real life yet, well apart from you being an Angel corruptor, so please share

Ashx

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There was a discussion on this area recently in the Forum persona Vs. real personality thread, although it petered out after a while.

(Not that I'm suggesting that thread is more appropriate than this, but that other thread may be of interest)

I've no idea whether my online or real (well, dance) personas are significantly different - I certainly don't set out to create any artificiality either way. On the other hand, I talk on the forums and I dance when dancing, so it's only natural that the two activities should highlight different aspects of my personality.

Neither aspect is complete, and trying to build a picture of a person by comparing two aspects this way seems a bit like describing an elephant, based on an examination of a trunk and a hoof - you're missing out a lot in between. Or, in my case, possibly not...

In real life I just shut up and dance: on here I can't dance, so I don't shut up

{...yea, yea; "so who says you can dance in real life" }

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
    Thankyou Andy You haven't told us what you are like in real life yet, well apart from you being an Angel corruptor, so please share

Ashx
    In my real life, if you can call it real, I am pushy, rude, assertive/combative and dislike sleaze. On here I'm nothing like my real persona ...

I'm normally quite a quiet, shy person in the company of strangers, but on internet forums it's much easier to butt in with your own tuppence worth without having to work at getting people's attention.

One thing I noticed very early on from email communication, is that because you've got time to mull over what you're saying it's much easier to appear smart, kind, and sympathetic by saying the right thing, and more importantly, not saying the wrong thing. This helps a lot, though it has gotten me into trouble before now...

In real life, with friends, I can be more outspoken knowing that what I say shouldn't appear on the front page of The Sun ever, but, regrettably, I can too often say stupid or hurtful things without thinking.

Ultimately though, I think my personality here is fairly close to my personality in real life with my real friends.

And by "real friends", I mean people that I really know and really trust, and hopefully visa-versa. I don't yet have many real friends in the Ceroc world – only a few, perhaps – but I'm working on it...
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi
    real friends.

And by "real friends", I mean people that I really know and really trust, and hopefully visa-versa. I don't yet have many real friends in the Ceroc world – only a few, perhaps – but I'm working on it...
    "real friends"?

How do we know if someone is a "real" friend or not? What do we need to trust those "real" friends with? What are the other friends if they're not "real"?

Blog Entries

How do we know if someone is a "real" friend or not?
    Well, you're not my friend

What do we need to trust those "real" friends with? What are the other friends if they're not "real"?
    Possibly Ducasi's phrasing was imprecise, but hey, it's Monday morning; the "Virtual" / "Real" split was a reasonable analogy a while back, but now the Internet is becoming more ubiquitous as a communications channel, I think the distinction is less useful.

Friends are friends - and you know who your friends are. You may communicate or interact with these people in different ways; online, on the phone, or face-to-face, or all of the above, it doesn't really matter.

Having said that, Lory's Friendships thread did have some interesting things to say about the specific nature of some "dance friendships".

( I'm morphing into MartinHarper )

I especially like Sparkles' comment from that thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles
    Dancing or not, my real friends are my real friends, and those that aren't, aren't. I don't see why whether or not you dance should determine how good a friend you are. Everyone is unique and therefore every 'relationship' is unique, and you know in your own head and heart whether or not you are truely friends with someone or not.
    And I also enjoyed the Andy McGregor cauliflower contributions

"real friends"?

How do we know if someone is a "real" friend or not? What do we need to trust those "real" friends with? What are the other friends if they're not "real"?
    Like I said, a real friend I know well and will trust implicitly.

You can call the "real" or "true", or even "best", if you ignore that it's a superlative.

I can trust them with anything. (Ok, maybe not everything – part of knowing them well is knowing how much to trust them. )

I need to trust them with the stuff I can tell them that I can't tell other people. I need to trust them to tell me things only a real friend can.

Other friends are just friends. I have friends on the forum and that I meet at ceroc events, but I wouldn't start burdening them with the trivia of my life.

That sort of friendship is hard to find.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Blog Entries

I've now got the "Ki-ora" advert running through my head - "Will you be my friend?"...

Just thought I'd share that

What are the other friends if they're not "real"?
    Imaginary.

Thread Information