Thread: Second part of the Cerocspin - footwork for followers

Second part of the Cerocspin - footwork for followers

Continuing the vogue for obscure footwork threads...
    "Cerocspin" (aka Lady spin, American spin, Sugar Push, and probably others). Seen a couple of common footwork variations around the third beat:

Version the First
    1. Step back right
    2. Replace weight on left foot
    3. Step through to the left with the right foot, so the right foot is a little in front of the left.
    4-etc. Spin to the right on right foot, etc

Version the Second
    1. Step back right
    3. Twist body to left, keeping weight on left foot, and placing the right foot slightly behind and to the right.
    4-etc. Transfer weight from left to right, and spin to the right on right foot, etc.

Are either of these correct?

Re: Second part of the Cerocspin - footwork for followers

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    "Cerocspin" (aka Lady spin, American spin, Sugar Push, and probably others). Seen a couple of common footwork variations around the third beat:

Version the First
    1. Step back right
    3. Step through to the left with the right foot, so the right foot is a little in front of the left.
    4-etc. Spin to the right on right foot, etc

Version the Second
    1. Step back right
    3. Twist body to left, keeping weight on left foot, and placing the right foot slightly behind and to the right.
    4-etc. Transfer weight from left to right, and spin to the right on right foot, etc.

When I read this thread I thought you were joking ...but I can see it's a valid question.

I initially thought I did version 2. But now I think I do version 1 , but there are elements of 2. For me:

3. Place right foot in front of you under your centre point of balance with the toes pointing at 2 o'clock (3rd position?) knees bent and body slightly twisted to the left in preparation.

4. Transfer weight from left to right, and spin on right etc.

I think Amir does a very good line in this particular exercise

In my mind, it's always lead from a turn/return, so the foot stepping forward is the opposite to the one that they just spun on.

*snip*

the only move name that I recgonise is the Lady Spin.

I wasn't able to make sense of the spin descriptions you procvide - has a lot to do with after work drinks me thinks

but for a Lady Spin - my weight is on my right foot - and the guy is leading me by my right arm - I therefore spin on my right foot completing the spin by using my left foot to stop with and then stepping back right

basic spinning technique taught here is that which ever foot you spin on is the one you step back on at the end - as the foot you haven't spun on is the one you use to stop with.

Obviously as you advance as a dancer and gain more control over spinning this basic technique will be adjusted and changed and sometimes completely ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra Woman

I initially thought I did version 2. But now I think I do version 1 , but there are elements of 2. For me:

3. Place right foot in front of you under your centre point of balance with the toes pointing at 2 o'clock (3rd position?) knees bent and body slightly twisted to the left in preparation.

4. Transfer weight from left to right, and spin on right etc.
    This sounds a bit like what I do, sort of version 1 with a little extra mini step (or weight transfer) onto the left foot and back to the right foot for the spin if I'm reading you right? Tricky thinking about what you do with your feet isn't it?!

Blog Entries

Search me. The only time I've been taught a Cerocâ„¢spin (by H of Cerocâ„¢ Glos), I was told there's a lunge thing, but that's not in either of your descriptions.

(Of course, being used to the Ladyspin, I don't lunge).

Quote Originally Posted by Yliander
    I spin on my right foot completing the spin by using my left foot to stop with and then stepping back right.
    Yeah, me too, and that's how we're taught here too. My question was about when you put your weight onto that right foot.

The first variation seems to end up with the lady travelling to her left (clockwise round the guy), which I'm guessing would annoy fancy-pants slotted dancers. The second variation is more on the spot, but has the lady placing her foot to her right at the same time as she is lead to her left, which seems odd from a pure lead/follow perspective.

Hi Guys,

(3/4 of the way through a kinky little bottle of red so I do apologise for any grammatical or spelling errors)

This is how I teach this move in beginner cerocshops...

2 ways depending on which foot the lady naturally steps back on.

If she steps back on the RF then it is generally easier.

Step back on RF, pivot on the LF - twisting anti clockwise a 1/4 turn and step which is now forwards on the right foot. So both feet are facing the same direction.

However, loads of women step back on the LF, including myself, so....

Step back on LF, As man pulls you hand to their right at waist level step forward on LF, pivot on it as above (anti c/w) and step forward on RF.

Common problem is stepping too far forward on RF so you end up too far away from your partner. What I tell women to do, and again this will come with experience in reading/following moves, is not to step too far forward on RF. After the pivot, take a small step f/w with RF.

Hope this all made sense,

Lotsa love Lorna x-x

[QUOTE=Lorna]Hi Guys,

Common problem is stepping too far forward on RF so you end up too far away from your partner. What I tell women to do, and again this will come with experience in reading/following moves, is not to step too far forward on RF. After the pivot, take a small step f/w with RF.

Just read this. How many times can I get the word 'too' in. At least I know how to spell it.

Lotsa love Lorna x-x

Quote Originally Posted by Lorna
    Common problem is stepping too far forward on RF so you end up too far away from your partner.
    Do you mean this? Or too close? I only ask because the kinky red might be distracting you. They distract me.

Do you mean this? Or too close? I only ask because the kinky red might be distracting you. They distract me.

I mean out of alignment with your partner. Too far to the left. You know what I mean?

I'm never too far away/apart from my partner

Lotsa love Lorna x-x

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget
    In my mind, it's always lead from a turn/return
    - most of the time unless it's the first freestyle move or a class.

I always find it easier to turn c/w on right foot and a/c on left foot and have heard this 'recommended' by several people. Which is fine if a ceroc spin is led after a return but sometimes involves a quick 'foot change' - but seems to work OK.

Yeah, me too, and that's how we're taught here too. My question was about when you put your weight onto that right foot.

The first variation seems to end up with the lady travelling to her left (clockwise round the guy), which I'm guessing would annoy fancy-pants slotted dancers. The second variation is more on the spot, but has the lady placing her foot to her right at the same time as she is lead to her left, which seems odd from a pure lead/follow perspective.
    OK weight is on right foot to spin, then left foot to stop then right foot once it steps back to balance - and if a return is done directly - then weight back to left foot for turn then right foot to stop and then back to left foot when it steps back to balance

Thread Information