Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finger injuries

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Re: Finger injuries

A first-aid course that I did many years ago taught that bits of the body that were bleeding should be bandaged sufficiently tightly to stop the blood flow, with something absorbent. A clean bandage was best, but also suitable in extremis was a clean handkerchief, an item of the victim's or your own clothing.

My immedate suggestion would be to bandage the cut finger to the next one along which would help to keep it protected, no?

We were also taught that burns were best treated (at the scene) by running under cold water for some number of minutes then applying a waterproof covering such as clingfilm or a plastic bag. Almost any kind of burn always needs hospital treatment.

Severed fingers or limbs should be wrapped in clingfilm or plastic bag and could be placed in a freezer until emergency medical attention could be arranged. There was also something about teeth having been knocked out that could be kept in a glass of milk until the appropriate expert intervention.

Isn't the trick about stripping wire with a Stanley knife to learn how to do it without slicing yourself open? I can't abide wirestrippers!

Quote Originally Posted by Northants Girly
    Come on Diana post those photos

I bet it's just a tinsy tiny scratch

No more sympathy or rep for DianaS folks till she shows us some snaps
    It will make you throw But if you insist the badage comes off on Thursday! I'll send one on along with the various contraptions I make to alllow me to dance and stop people squeezing my fingers

Hey I could make a fortune out of spikey gloves!
    I;ve decided to have some nail extensions made to cover the spoilt nail while it regrows (or if it doesn't)

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo

Isn't the trick about stripping wire with a Stanley knife to learn how to do it without slicing yourself open? I can't abide wirestrippers!
    I didn't know wirestrippers existed till after...
    My Dad said they wouldn't do the job in any case cas the cable was too thick. He used the stanley but did it very, very carefuly
    Can't sday I watched so I'm none the wiser!

Just found some finger splints online
    They are available here!
    http://www.physioroom.com/shop/full....Hand%20Therapy

http://www.opposupports.co.uk/finger_thumb.html#

So I may give them a go for a while when the first stage of heaaling is through but its still sensitive!

Quote Originally Posted by DianaS
    Keep it moist came from post world war leeps into medical experimentation. Limbs blown apart left to "stew in their own juice" did better than linbs cleaned up and medicaalised. and resulted in a rapid turn around in medical practice. Thats where the expression originated
    No no no no no no noooooooo!!!!!

Like the third person approach, must try it next time I'm in casualty.

All the burns first aid, I'm with you all and I guess I kind of skipped to the aftercare part of the story (having naturally done a textbook (literally because I keep one in the bathroom for reference!) bit of first aid nurse action ), which is where the unexpected moistness came in.

To conclude I want to say, you can never have too many melolin dressings in your first aid cabinet.

I've just searched the forum and can't find a thread on this.

How have people coped with finger injuries while dancing?
    Just a thought, but why not tape a thimble over the end of your finger with sticking plaster?

Thimble might be a little tight, but you could get an extra large one.

Another idea would be to tape your finger injured finger to the one(s) either side, that helps to protect the vulnerable one.

I did wrap my hand in a tea town apply pressuse to the base of the finger and hold it over my head for an hour while reclining on the sofa eating bakewell tarts
    An hour later it wasn't clotting and my Dad took me to hospital cas I couldn't change gear with only one hand!!

always keep a supply of bakewell tarts in, just in case of such an emergency
    Do you think it would have clotted better if you'd been eating eccles cakes instead?

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat
    Do you think it would have clotted better if you'd been eating eccles cakes instead?
    Hmmm probably
    Had a happy outcome though. Was taken to tech support today and they showed me how to do it. You ring around the wire and then it just slips off. If the knife is really sharp it helps.
    If its blunt its more likely to cut you.
    Never slice down the wire as I tried to, its ineffective

The Universe is now a safer place.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov
    Just a thought, but why not tape a thimble over the end of your finger with sticking plaster?

Thimble might be a little tight, but you could get an extra large one.

Another idea would be to tape your finger injured finger to the one(s) either side, that helps to protect the vulnerable one.
    Excellent IDEA HAve some rep!!

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Hmmm probably
    Had a happy outcome though. Was taken to tech support today and they showed me how to do it. You ring around the wire and then it just slips off. If the knife is really sharp it helps.
    If its blunt its more likely to cut you.
    Never slice down the wire as I tried to, its ineffective

The Universe is now a safer place.
    And if you bend the wire sharply back on itself at the place back to which you want to strip the insulation, then the stretch in the plastic means that as you cut through it, the very last thickness of insulation tears away from itself so you never need to risk nicking the conductors with the blade.

I always use a scalpel to strip wires! Cant stand the sight of blood, -- It makes me thirsty!!!

Pad the affected finger between its neighbours then tape all three together then you can dance using a paw.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget
    While we are in gruesom mode, ......
    you want gruesome??? I've got a kid at work who's got thru about 50 leeches trying to save his finger!!! how much blood and gore is that? The wound seems pretty open to the air to me - with a piece of wire sticking out of the end (from the plastic surgeon, not left over from bad wire cutting), and lots of blood and bandages underneath. Oh yeah, and a bloody great leech on the side.

Yum

Quote Originally Posted by Ballroom queen
    you want gruesome??? I've got a kid at work who's got thru about 50 leeches trying to save his finger!!! how much blood and gore is that? The wound seems pretty open to the air to me - with a piece of wire sticking out of the end (from the plastic surgeon, not left over from bad wire cutting), and lots of blood and bandages underneath. Oh yeah, and a bloody great leech on the side.

Yum
    I knew I'd regret dipping back into this thread
    (especially at lunchtime )

Thread Information