Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Take Over..

Re: Take Over..

Quote Originally Posted by Swinging bee
    Does this mean that the Empire will take over at Camber where Rebel Rock left off?????

Whatever happens now, I'll say that all three of the Rebel Yell one day specials in Woking organised by Katy, I have enjoyed. They have been well organised , and FYI it's where I first came across Nigel and Nina, and Mr. Lizard and Alina. At last years also I had a fab day with Nelson and Karen's classes.

I hope that this weekend in October can continue with the high quality over the last three years.
    Last edited by Jon L; 22nd-June-2005 at 01:16 AM.

I have advocated Ceroc merging with some of the independents as being necessary to achieve the economies of scale and the image of a national organisation. I hoped to see Ceroc using their natural, acquired, advantages in an efficient and sensible fashion.

I do not want to see silly turf wars. I do not think that they will succeeed, and I think that course will do more harm than good. Fortunately I have not seen any evidence of this as a national policy.

I am not convinced of the maximising of advantages and use of resources. People saying that they have to choose between Twyford and Daventry is one indication that things perhaps could be better organised.

I have been using the last hour of the Leroc night at Bedford to practise new moves, including arials. The class is held in the Corn exchange and there is plenty of room. Tonight I learn that Nicky Haslam will be giving a specially arranged close moves class next Monday, and will be at their Thursday venue too. Monday and Thursday are also Ceroc night, held in the Kempston Addison centre, about a mile away.

This is great for the Bedford MJ scene, but I would have hoped to see her at the Ceroc venue, and I am sad to see that Ceroc have, to my eyes, failed to use her to maximum effect.

Registered User DangerousCurves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Swinging bee
    Does this mean that the Empire will take over at Camber where Rebel Rock left off?????
    It would be interesting to see what Ceroc would do with a weekender. I've been to Franco's Camber/Bognor and to Southport, but not to Katy's Camber. I believe that she directed a lot of the event towards beginners and was pretty successful in getting interest in a new event. Wonder if Ceroc would keep the "beginner" angle or turn it to another direction?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver
    I have advocated Ceroc merging with some of the independents as being necessary to achieve the economies of scale and the image of a national organisation. I hoped to see Ceroc using their natural, acquired, advantages in an efficient and sensible fashion.

I do not want to see silly turf wars. I do not think that they will succeeed, and I think that course will do more harm than good. Fortunately I have not seen any evidence of this as a national policy.
    Well that is an opinion BigD but personally I don't go for that.
    Economies of scale lead to laziness in these companies as if the Ceroc monster wasn't already there. Competition keeps the operators looking for new ideas and ventures and I'm for that.
    Ms. Baxters group was good and I've said this before her teaching method was great as she did 3 moves as hard as you like with no run on etc. etc. if you want your freestyle time hers were the venues that always delivered.

Personally I had expected big improvements when Mr Ellard took over the reigns at Ceroc Towers but there haven't really been any that I can see. Oh we've had a whole new book of moves but the book was big enough anyway to keep us amused til the Gnab Gib. What's gonna change now? Nothing

And as to the spread and depth of venues - this is down to the local franchises they've all got to make their money. It just gives you choice on a night in my book - who do I want to dance with tonight, how far am I willing to travel, who's teaching and of course that old chestnut who've I got to avoid now . . . . all valid questions leading to your choice of venue.

The really sad thing is we all keep posting on here like it makes a difference. Take the overcrowding at the last Solihull freestyle - We all whinged but the only reason numbers will be down at freestyles now is the weather not because Ceroc want to improve the service. Normal overcrowding services to be resumed once the weather cools - Lovely.

I can not speak for the North where this Forum supposedly lives and breathes (although we southerners seem to have taken over somewhat). But Frank is in here and I would like to think He listens. But idon't know if the issues in the north are the same as ours here. Frank may wish every night for a venue to be spilling out of the doors.

So I personally feel sad that RebelRoc has been assimilated, I know why she did it and I know why she chose Ceroc over competitors (and I respect her judgements). But as to it being a good thing for my Hobby, my entertainment (my life too but that sounds sad) well i don't think it is.
    I hope the Lerocs and Ginger Jives and Blitz's and all those iddybitty venues around the country keep going because they definitely add something to the whole scene rather than take it away.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers
    Personally I had expected big improvements when Mr Ellard took over the reigns at Ceroc Towers but there haven't really been any that I can see.
    Well, I dunno how much leverage Ceroc Command has over the franchises, but I imagine sudden or dramatic changes in policy would be difficult to implement due to the distributed nature of the business.

And there have been some changes - merchandising tie-ins, new moves, nosequins (ballroom dancing) etc. But change for the sake of it would be dumb.

The really sad thing is we all keep posting on here like it makes a difference.
    I never assume anything I post will make a difference. We're not a lobbying group, we're here to, you know, chat about dancing...

Take the overcrowding at the last Solihull freestyle - We all whinged but the only reason numbers will be down at freestyles now is the weather not because Ceroc want to improve the service. Normal overcrowding services to be resumed once the weather cools - Lovely.
    Well, I'd go on about my "structured feedback mechanisms" bugbear, but I've done that once or twice already...

But Frank is in here and I would like to think He listens. But idon't know if the issues in the north are the same as ours here. Frank may wish every night for a venue to be spilling out of the doors.
    Franck seems to run one of the best operations in the UK, from what I've heard, so yes, I think he's probably listening. Although he may have better things to do with his time than read every post

So I personally feel sad that RebelRoc has been assimilated,
    I can't honestly bring myself to care too much, sorry.

If a particular MJ dance venue is good, I don't worry about who's getting my money. If a particular MJ dance venue is bad, there are others locally to me. If it turns out that there are no others, I'll go to salsa. If no salsa, I'll get a life (or more likely, post on the forums )

I appreciate that I'm priviledged, there are so many London venues, but I've got to get some value out of living in this dirty poor-air-quality place...

Thread Information