Thanks ZW for the hugging lesson!!!
    The pleasure was mine.

We can do Advanced Hugs Part 1 next time if you like

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Re: Dirty Dancing

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra Woman
    The pleasure was mine.

We can do Advanced Hugs Part 1 next time if you like
    Got me wondering what extras this would include???

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella
    Got me wondering what extras this would include???
    Not 'Rummaging' !

In case that's what you were thinking

ZW

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I enjoyed the night, glad I ventured Out Of The Old Smoke.

High points:
    - Managing to get several dances with both Miss Conduct and ZW, who unaccountably weren't solidly booked up all evening.
    - Being outed to a few forumites and forumettas
    - Half-mezze and chips in a restaurant on the way back, yum - at 3am...
    - Good company there and back
    - Lovely dance floor, and pretty good music I thought. Although, having said that: "In these shoes"? - Kirsty MacColl, she's the only real version, never ever plan that male version...

Lowlights:
    - Having to rush to re-park my car after being told the filth were booking people...
    - When dancing with DianaS, being gratuitously splashed by a drink from some clever woman who thought walking through the middle of a dance floor with a full glass (fortunately only water) was a Clever Move
    - Managing, half-way through a lovely fast dance, to tap my arm with surgical, nay laser-like precision on the Nose Nerve of my partner, causing her to need to sit down for a rest

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Locket
    DavidJames you owe me a dance methinks.
    Errr, possibly... ?

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat
    So well dispersed that I didn't meet most of them.
    You met me! What more could you want?

up the motorway, turn left, turn left, through the bends.......

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames

Errr, possibly... ?
    You were pointed out to me, but you were forever dancing or i was

Same goes for Paul.

Never mind, there will be other times

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I had a fab night! When I eventually got there (I had a few 'how to put this?' 'tense moments' before I came out ..note to self, NEVER EAT DRIED APRICOTS AGAIN )

I thought the numbers were perfect, enough to make an atmosphere but not too many that we didn't have room for really great dances!

As ZW said, to Marc for his superb set, I can't express how much I loved it! From what I heard of the other set, I thought that was pretty good too!

I can't comment on the Comp, as I wasn't there in time but as for the cabaret, Emma and Alex's routine was good but I could have lived without the other one

I had the most hysterical thing happen during a dance with JiVep, he span me out quite fast and we accidentally collided with another couple, nothing serious, we apologised and carried on.. then after the dance finished, I felt a tugging sensation on my hair and thought, as it was hot, my hair might have got suck under my armpit (it's happened before ) but when I felt it, I discovered a pair of glasses!

The poor, temporarily blinded man was searching for where they'd gone.

Imagine if I honed this new-found skill, I could make myself a fortune!

Although, at the end of the evening, Paul did suggest someone search my hair to see what else I may have inadvertently picked up!

Sorry I didn't meet any new forumites!
    Last edited by Lory; 10th-July-2005 at 02:01 PM.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

I got pulled by the coppers last night did anyone else? you feel guilty even when you havent done anything
    PaulF thanks for the dance sorry I didnt get to see you lucy hopefully next time it was lovely to meat all you others!!!!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oops, missed these...

- The mini bar in the forumite meeting area was a great idea, saving the massive hike to the main bar.
    There was a forumite meeting area? no-one ever tells me anything...

- I thought the Dirty Dancing competition was a waste of time this time, very undersubscribed , only 10 or so couples went in for it out of several hundred people in the room. I think that says something . Choice of music for Dirty Dancing comp was a bit odd IMO.
    What was it with that competition then? Bodyrockers is a ... challenging... track, I think most would agree. Can't remember the other one.

So were there some special restrictions on how dirty the dancing could be or something? Surely "dirty dancing" is, well, kind of pointless if you put restrictions on it? Very ...

The Cabaret slot was too long IMO and behind schedule, it was on at midnight.
    Honestly, without trying to disrespect all the hard work and talent that goes into these things, I really would rather be dancing than sitting on a hard floor watching dancing... I just don't think a cabaret is needed.

Oh and:
    Not 'Rummaging' !

In case that's what you were thinking
    Well, apparently, all that sort of action was going on in the bushes, or so I was told. Couldn't see anything happening though, and I looked dozens of times...

Quote Originally Posted by Lory
    I had a fab night! When I eventually got there (I had a few 'how to put this?' 'tense moments' before I came out ..note to self, NEVER EAT DRIED APRICOTS AGAIN )

I thought the numbers were perfect, enough to make an atmosphere but not too many that we didn't have room for really great dances!

As ZW said, to Marc for his superb set, I can't express how much I loved it! From what I heard of the other set, I thought that was pretty good too!

I can't comment on the Comp, as I wasn't there in time but as for the cabaret, Emma and Alex's routine was good but I could have lived without the other one

I had the most hysterical thing happen during a dance with JiVep, he span me out quite fast and we accidentally collided with another couple, nothing serious, we apologised and carried on.. then after the dance finished, I felt a tugging sensation on my hair and thought, as it was hot, my hair might have got suck under my armpit (it's happened before ) but when I felt it, I discovered a pair of glasses!

Although, at the end of the evening, Paul did suggest someone search my hair to see what else I may have inadvertently picked up!

Hey,Lory

The Dashing Moderator

Well I really enjoyed Daventry. Howver I think it's as Gus said about Southport:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus in a Southport thread
    The main correlation I've seen between those who had a good time and those who didnt was whether they were part of a posse or not.
    I know some people who didn't enjoy the previous Daventry night as they didn't know lots of people.

But for me, my regular venues are nearby so I know a lot of folk who were there, including people who came last night from places slightly further up the M6. So lots of good dances.
    It was also lovely to see Lory & Lisa from further afield who I don't see so often .

I coud have done without the competition and some of the cabarets, although the "I'm the real Swayze" bit did make me smile.

I liked the Blues hour at the end and although I hadn't looked forward to the hour-long drive home, the first light of dawn reaching across the sky at 3am did wake me up nicely.
    Love dance, will travel

would you mind looking for my towel & i think Northants girly lost some cake

Sorry Lory, couldn't resist

- Having to rush to re-park my car after being told the filth were booking people...
    I think you will find that the civilised terms is POLICE .... and after all they have had to endure over the last few days I think such a term should NEVER be used on this Forum ... unless you want me to introduce you to Mr UnderPar!

........./snip/ I discovered a pair of glasses ..........The poor, temporarily blinded man was searching for where they'd gone.
    best laugh I have had all week, thank Lory

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    I think you will find that the civilised terms is POLICE .... and after all they have had to endure over the last few days I think such a term should NEVER be used on this Forum ... unless you want me to introduce you to Mr UnderPar!
    And if 6'8" of scary Police Sergeant doesn't scare you he'll introduce you to Mrs Par* ...

You do wonder why, in the light of other distractions, the local Police felt the need to give out parking tickets on a Saturday night? It's hardy rush hour so parking couldn't have been causing congestion. Maybe they'd finished their game of car colour snooker

*Mrs Par's weapon of choice is niceness. Only someone with a very scary secret weapon is usually that nice - think scalpels, pointy things, talons, etc

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

High points: . . .

Lowlights: . . .
    Think you missed out the bit about dropping Northants Girly on the floor!

would you mind looking for my towel & i think Northants girly lost some cake
    Yeah - wonder what did happen to my cake!

It was choccy cake too

Northants Girly, I could have given you a lift home & Angelique need not have gone out of her way, but didn't think about it till i was halfway home, sorry
    Ah don't worry - Angelique got a coffee and a shoulder massage for her trouble

Only just getting round to posting. So so so exhausted. I managed to dance ALL night, got home at 4:15 and was up again at 10 this morning to go practising for my other dancing. I am well and truly exhausted !

All in all I thought it was a fab night. So happy to meet many forumites but so gutted I didnt get to meet everyone. Lucy L - really sorry we didnt get to meet. The time just goes when your dancing. Hopefully next time. I did have some really brilliant dances - not going to list names and I also really enjoyed the blues set - thanks Marc.

Ok, the bad bit
    Related to the points I was making earlier in the thread......
    Why oh why did we have to have all the breaks. It was quite clear (at least to me) that people wanted to dance - as strange as that may seem.
    I second the congrats to Emma and everyone who took part but in reality the competition was a real waste of time. We could have just watched people dancing in freestyle and seen the same thing.

Tony really did try his hardest to get the crowd going but I think people were just waiting to dance. Its so hard to maintain momentum when you have to sit down for half an hour. In that way its similar to an athlete (i guess ) in that they cant just suddenly stop moving otherwise they need to go through their whole warmup routine again.

Also, I know its not anyones fault it just happens, but it was SO hot I realise it was a hot day but I imagined a sports hall to have some kind of cooling system. I am going to prioritise in future where I go dancing. Places with air-con will win. When is the next freestyle in Luton (i remember it well)

All in all a good night though with just the right amount of people IMO.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Northants Girly
    Yeah - wonder what did happen to my cake!
    Oh It was yours! It was a very handy find, when I got a bit peckish on the journey home

I'll look for the towel later

Anything else I should be looking for?
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Thread Information