Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The hardest thing when you started to learn...

Originally posted by Gadget
    As to dancing Ceroc being a "conversation", I don't think the anology works - I think perhaps an "interview" would be closer; the lead has to direct the flow to get what they want out of their partner, but give the partner room enough to show what they are capable of.
    A number of female dancers are helping Gadget with his inquiries.

Versailles (yeah, in the chateau itself !)
    oops

A 2-way interview perhaps !!! Sometimes the interviewee just doesn't want the job after meeting the interviewer !!!!!!!!!!

I'm sticking with Calvin on this one !!!!!

Wx

Originally posted by Wendy
    A 2-way interview perhaps !!! Sometimes the interviewee just doesn't want the job after meeting the interviewer !
    Sometimes a lady will not dance with a man again after one dance!
    Any interview is two way anyway; the person being interviewed is trying to work out what the interviewer wants and phrase their response to suit. They are also trying to determine if the interviewer knows what they are talking about and if their needs match the interviewie (sp?).
    The more I think about it, the better the anology.

A number of female dancers are helping Gadget with his inquiries.
    ...do de do be do inspector gadget, do be do be do... do do... I thought since it was going around my head I would let it out to infect everyone else...

Sometimes a lady will not dance with a man again after one dance!

Really ????!!!.....

And what is the job exactly in this scenario ????

Wx

Really ????!!!.....

And what is the job exactly in this scenario ????

Wx
    What position would you like to apply for then ?

What position would you like to apply for then ?
    So the boy is the interviewer, the girl is applying for the job... I think this is fantasy island rather than an accurate analogy my friend !!!!

Wx

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar
    Way to go Wendy! Hee Hee

I am new to ceroc classes and I'm in a quandry. I want to be able to dance like the couples that are obviously having a ball during the "freestyle". I love the music, I love the style of dancing but I am uncomfortable with the format of the actual class.
    I HATE having to walk up, down and stand at the side - it's so degrading! I like having the opportunity to dance with other nice people, but I cringe when I am faced with the occasional partner whose expression and body language are obviously "being nice" to my lack of experience nor do I welcome the attention I've had from a couple of creeps.
    My partner and I would like to learn to ceroc, have been to three classes and have yet to dance together. If I am at the back of the hall I see nothing of the instructor because there are too many people in front of me. We want to learn to ceroc but the hardest thing for us about learning is that instead of learning together we get split up and teamed up with sometimes nice, sometimes indifferent and sometimes people I really don't want to hold hands with.
    Does anyone give lessons to couples?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by newby

I HATE having to walk up, down and stand at the side - it's so degrading! I like having the opportunity to dance with other nice people, but I cringe when I am faced with the occasional partner whose expression and body language are obviously "being nice" to my lack of experience nor do I welcome the attention I've had from a couple of creeps.
    and sometimes people I really don't want to hold hands with.
    Does anyone give lessons to couples?

I think a lot of newcomers, especially ladies ! feel the same way, and yes, body language does tell you a lot, doesn't it !

However, you can console yourself with the fact that it is the same for all of us, and once you get into the swing of things you'll be able to be more choosy.

The Forum Legend
    Newby, If you don't want to walk up and down the lines, and stand at the side, and you have a fixed partner, I'm sure that you can find somewhere in the hall where you and your fixed partner can just do the class together, without having to be in the lines.

However, I have to say that I totally don't recommend this. One of the good things about getting a number of new partners in the class, is that you learn how to dance with a number of different styles. If you only ever dance with one person, you only get to learn to dance in the style he dances in.

I'm not quite sure I understand why you consider it degrading either. Although, I do quite understand your comments about some of the people that you find yourself partnered with. If it's any consolation, it's pretty much the same for everyone else in the lines. There are always people that you don't really want to dance with at any class, and when you're doing the class, sometimes you can't avoid them. It's the same for everyone though. And when it comes down to it, you're probably not with that person for more than a minute or two at the most. It's not exactly a lifetime..... (although, it may seem like it at the time). On the other hand, sometimes you do get to meet people in the line that you wouldn't normally, and they turn out to be people that you like dancing with....

Steve

Dear Newby

The Tramp is right (OMIGOD, did I really say that??)

You probably can find somewhere just for you and your partner to dance together, but honestly, if you move around during the class and dance with other people you will learn better than dancing with your partner all the time - always assuming the partner is still a raw beginner - since you would just compound each other's mistakes and probably fall out as well! (However I think that is probably different if the partner is at intermediate or above level, when it would work, as effectively you would be getting 1:1 tuition.)

I do remember as a beginner counting round to see who I would be dancing with next, and sometime my heart would sink - not always because the lady was rubbish, sometimes because she was so good I felt like rubbish! But those occasions were far outweighed by the thousands of fabulous dances I have had with all the lovely people I have met over the last 4 years.

And once you have danced with somebody in the class it is far easier to ask them for a dance during the freestyle. Anyone who refuses or looks down on you, just because you're a beginner, isn't worth even getting upset about as they've clearly forgotten where they came from and completely lost the plot.

It can be dispiriting when you want to learn a move if there are lots of "extra" women and you're quickly back off the floor, but please don't think of it as degrading - it's as fair a way as can be devised to give everyone a chance to dance, as not everyone comes with their partner. (And of course, once you get to know the other ladies who are sitting out that part of the lesson you can take part in the usual chattering, so that when they come back on they haven't a clue what move has just been taught!!!!)

So the boy is the interviewer, the girl is applying for the job... I think this is fantasy island rather than an accurate analogy my friend !!!!
    Naaa - I have a lot better fantasies than that.

...and I would replace "boy/girl" with "lead/follower"; with all the cross-dancing posts recently and who should be leading/following.

Originally posted by newby
    I am new to ceroc classes and I'm in a quandry. I want to be able to dance like the couples that are obviously having a ball during the "freestyle". I love the music, I love the style of dancing but I am uncomfortable with the format of the actual class. ~snip~ Does anyone give lessons to couples?
    I have to agree with all the above, but what they have missed is the key to your quandry: Taxi dancers.
    They are there to help you go over the moves and get things right - work with them and your partner during the intermediate class.
    And why not dance with your partner during the freestyle sessions? - the only way to improve is to practice.

"Conversation"

Originally posted by Sandy
    Haven't danced for nearly 2 weeks, can't wait to have a long conversation on Tuesday

Sandy
    Had the conversation and believe you me it was brilliant - who needs words when you can dance!

Sandy

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar
    Originally posted by John S
    (And of course, once you get to know the other ladies who are sitting out that part of the lesson you can take part in the usual chattering, so that when they come back on they haven't a clue what move has just been taught!!!!)

And this is , of course, when we rely on the EXCELLENT leading of the men - who ALWAYSpay attention and NEVER forget which move is it they are doing.

Thanks for your positive response to my rather negative posting!

The Tramp and John S are probably right about the benefits of learning with a variety of partners as opposed to learning the steps with only one partner.
    It's my problem as I am quite (very!) shy and am not confident when faced with a hallful of strangers as dance partners. I'm going to persevere, though, because I suppose most people are in the same boat (not knowing who there dancing with) and they're mostly nice people and we're all just looking for a bit of fun. I think it will get easier.
    The only other thing I have to conquer now is - to let my partner lead! This is extremely difficult when I am concentrating on the moves and totally blank my partner, purely because I can't do two things at once (well not when they're both new!!!)

The Tramp and John S are probably right about the benefits of learning with a variety of partners as opposed to learning the steps with only one partner.
    Hi newby,

The other aspect to bear in mind is that your partner (I imagine)will not yet be very good at doing the moves himself. If you try and dance with a good dancer (eg a teacher/taxi), you'll find you don't have to think of the steps, because they'll be leading you into the right movements anyway.

Happy dancing!

Graham

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm going to persevere, though, because I suppose most people are in the same boat (not knowing who there dancing with) and they're mostly nice people and we're all just looking for a bit of fun. I think it will get easier.
    Hi Newby,
    Sorry I missed your post earlier... This is a common problem, and I know it can be daunting...
    As others have said, the best way to learn is to dance with as many people as possible, some will be new and struggle, others will be experienced and will make you understand how the move should feel...
    As you say, everyone is in the same boat, and we try *very* hard to make the classes relaxed...

The Ceroc teaching formula is well tested, and has helped thousands of people not only learn to dance, but discover how enjoyable dancing is... to a newcomer, it might appear unusual, and sometime counter-intuitive, but as a teacher of 10 years + I can speak with confidence in saying that as long as you stick with it, you will become a great (and enthusiastic) dancer.
    The only other thing I have to conquer now is - to let my partner lead! This is extremely difficult when I am concentrating on the moves and totally blank my partner, purely because I can't do two things at once (well not when they're both new!!!)
    As Graham says, you should not have to concentrate too much, focus on following your right hand... Wherever your partner takes it, allow your body to follow... it's that simple.

What would help is to note the men you felt were able to lead you during the Beginners' class and make sure you ask them for a dance later in the evening... If that's too scary a prospect, you can start with the taxi-dancers...

good luck Newby, and if you see me in Glasgow, make sure you get me up for a dance...

Franck.

As a guy dancing with a beginner I tend to repeat the moves done during the class and when I feel they are comfortable doing them in the order they were taught I start doing those moves in different orders so the lady gets to learn how to follow.

What really annoys me is the men who are clearly dancing with a beginner and they try and do intermediate moves on them. I've even seen one person whos a demo in Kent try and do a drop on a person who's first night it was. Needless to say it didnt happen. Whats the point, if the beginners feel they are out of their depth then they wont be coming back.

Be nice to our beginners after all in afew months time they're be teaching us new moves!

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Jon
    [B
    What really annoys me is the men who are clearly dancing with a beginner and they try and do intermediate moves on them [/B]
    Yep... we have guys that prey on beginners up here in Scotland too....strange they never seem to dance with more advanced dancers......

Thread Information