Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Forum Profiles

B.T.C.
    Originally posted by Jayne

Does this strike a chord with you as well then Bill???

Jayne

Of course not................ .......would I try to pull the wool over your eyes??? But I do have a fondess for wooly jumpers :sorry

Wooly Jumpers!!!!

Surely NOT the four legged kind,Bill you being an Aberdonian and all that!!!!

Heather,

Joining in quite late, but here are mine

1. Birthplace

Sidcup, Kent, England

2. 3 Favourite Books

Any book by John Grisham

3. 3 Favourite CDs
    Mint Condition- Definition of a band

The Beatles- Seargent Peppers lonley hearts club band

The prodigy- fat of the land (an angry angry album!!)

4. 3 Favourite Films

Saturday Night fever
    Tin Cup
    Moulin rouge=Coyote Ugly

5. Most Hated Film

Anything James Bond!!

6. Favourite Dance Outfit

Combats, big trainers and a cool t-shirt

7. Favourite drink

All Alcohol especially lager and red wine
    Coke

8. Worst Hangover

All hangovers are a terrible experience!!
    9. Best Holiday

Honeymoon to Disney then St lucia, pure indulgence
    10. Favourite Game

Golf, sad I know

11. Childhood dream job

Dolphin trainer, golf pro

12. Real Life Hero

Tiger Woods, a true professional

13. Closest Brush with Death

In the car with my wife!!!( only joking Kel!)

14. Most Bizarre place had sex ( optional)

Secret!:sorry

I'm joining in even later but my 'puter has been poorly for a week

1. Birthplace

Doncaster, Yorkshire

3 Favourite Books

Lord of the Rings
    The Drenai Saga (David Gemmel)
    Hound Of the Baskervilles

3. 3 Favourite CDs

A Portrait of Benny Goodman
    The Blues Brothers (Original Soundtrack)
    Smack-dab-in-the-Middle (King Pleasure and the Biscuit Boys)

4. 3 Favourite Films

True Grit
    Saving Private Ryan
    A Mirricle on 34th Street

5. Most Hated Film

Dirty Dancing

Baggy pin stripes, white shirt, braces, flashy waistcote and Black and White Bleyers

7. Favourite drink

Coke

8. Worst Hangover

April 20th 1988, Cyprus. The day after my 21st birthday, after 16 hours drinking Brandy Sours

9. Best Holiday

Honeymoon in Tennerief

10. Favourite Game

Cribbage

11. Childhood dream job

To be a Soldier guarding Buckingham Palace ( I evetually fulfilled this dream)

12. Real Life Hero

My Dad who recently passed away.

Rolled a Fox armoured car four times, ending upside down in a stream.

Doorway of the Guards Chaple

Re: Forum Profiles

Oooh, I can't resist this thread - makes fascinating reading! Though my answers are probably more interesting to myself than anyone else. I could pretend to be Erick or Rena, if you like ...?
    Rachel

1. Birthplace
    Bath

2. 3 Favourite Books
    Well, the following 3 have been my constant favourites for some years - the first one, particularly, is way above any other book in the history of time and I want to be buried with it.
    1) Peter Carey: The Unusual Life of Tristan Smith
    2) William McIlvanney: Docherty
    3) Gabriel Garcia Marquez: Love in the Time of Cholera

3. 3 Favourite CDs
    Favourite songs obviously change by the day, but if I could only have 3 CD's to listen to for the rest of my life, it would undoutably be these:
    1) Jeff Buckley: Grace
    2) Radiohead: OK Computer
    3) Robbie Robertson and the Native Americans - fantastic music to work to, or to just shut yourself off from the rest of the world.
    Oh, and please could I have a Bob Dylan in there too?? Just can't make up my mind which one ...

4. 3 Favourite Films
    1) Jean de Floret (and sequel Manon des Sources) - though possibly the saddest films EVER
    2) Like Water for Chocolate
    3) ???? now I've got to my last choice, it's soooo hard.
    I originally put The Cook, the Thief, his Wife and her Lover, which I think should probably stay at number 3.

But then I'm desperate to include Fitzcarraldo - just for the sheer determination and power of emotion in that film. And someone else's choice reminded me of The Usual Suspects - excellent film! And just the other day I saw Snatch for the first time which I loved - brilliantly funny!!!

And who mentioned Beautiful Mind? Have to agree there - immediately after seeing it, I didn't think it would be a favourite, but now I find that parts of the film keep seeping back into my mind and intriguing me. But, then, I think we're ALL just one tiny step away from 'madness' and I've never quite understood how the limits of insanity and normality are defined anyway!

Oh and I just HAVE to include Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Especially as it's approaching Christmas - I've lost count how many times I've seen that film.

5. Most Hated Film
    Ummm, hard one, though there are so many to choose from. I really dislike slushy films like Sleepless in Seatle, Truly Madly, Deeply, etc. Hate Dirty Dancy - or anything else with Patrick Swayze. Oh God, yes, just remembered - most hated film of all, ever, ever, no argument: 'Ghost' - URGHHHH!

I originally thought - as some others did - that this meant dance group, but many are answering with clothes ... Actually, I can't come up with favourites of either category right now - too many to choose from.

7. Favourite drink
    Dry white wine (any cheap crap will do), or Spanish sherry, or gin. And espresso.

8. Worst Hangover
    Really lucky and rarely suffer at all, no matter how much I've had to drink. Though I had 2 nasty experiences with Bacardi when younger and can't even look at a bottle of the stuff now.

9. Best Holiday
    Any holiday - whenever, wherever ... they're all the best - I've had best holidays in Mexico, Borneo, Eastbourne, Weston-Super-Mare, ....

Probably bestest of all is my annual fortnigthly holiday at home over Christmas - doing absolutely nothing but reading, watching films, drinking, eating and sleeping. Brilliant!

10. Favourite Game
    Got to be Scalextrix (but I can't spell it).

11. Childhood dream job
    Air hostess, I'm afraid. And watch repairer - still have that dream, actually.

12. Real Life Hero
    My father - we don't get on, but he's still my hero. He's the most incredible person in the world, for reasons I'd better not go into here - just trust me on this one.

And also my father's mother - for going out dancing every single night, even though she's almost 90.

And Bob Dylan. And, by no means least, Marc.

Nothing unusual really ... wrote off my car once by skidding, rolling over four times and landing upside down in a ditch - left hanging in the seat by the seatbelt, with my skirt hanging down around my head and faces from all the passing motorists peering in the windows. I was completely unhurt, though - apart from very bruised ego - so it wasn't really a brush with death. The worst thing about is was that it was a company car (good!) but I'd only had it a week and it was sooo embarrassing having to tell my boss!

Actually, I did think that I was near-enough dead when I'd just had my wisdom teeth out. When coming round from the anaesthetic, I do remember that my first thought was, 'what's the point of living any more ...'

But, then, I'm such a complete and utter wimp when it comes to hospitals, doctors, blood, needles, etc etc. In the operating theatre I kept trying to tell them that I'd changed my mind and I was just going to go home now, but they wouldn't listen and stuck the needle in anyway.

Anyway, I survived, and I'm sure you'll all be pleased to hear that I made a very successful recovery. In fact, you'd never be able to tell ...

14. Most Bizarre place had sex
    Really couldn't say, or I'd be sacked....

Omnipotent Moderatrix (LMC)
    Originally posted by Dan Hudson

11. Childhood dream job

Dolphin trainer
    Never going to be able to look at you quite the same again, Dan *g* Dolphin trainer. Ahhh

Re: Re: Forum Profiles

Originally posted by Rachel

1. Birthplace
    Bath
    Now that is REALLY interesting - bit of a water baby, then?

Re: Re: Re: Forum Profiles

Originally posted by John S

Now that is REALLY interesting - bit of a water baby, then?
    Terrified of water, actually! Not sure why - something to do with not being able to breath in it, I think ...

Except my baths, of course. Love those - have to have at least 3 a day - boiling hot water, bubbles, rubber ducks, candles, book, wine, the lot!

What's really intriguing me, though I haven't got round to quoting it and asking her, is HOW Lou broke her arm and how she didn't realise it was broken before jumping out of an aeroplane??? Talk about being succinct and leaving us hanging on for more! Come to think of it, what the hell was she doing jumping out of an areoplane? Very brave girl ... and, probably, slightly mad!
    R.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Re: Re: Re: Forum Profiles

What's really intriguing me, though I haven't got round to quoting it and asking her, is HOW Lou broke her arm and how she didn't realise it was broken before jumping out of an aeroplane??? Talk about being succinct and leaving us hanging on for more! Come to think of it, what the hell was she doing jumping out of an areoplane? Very brave girl ... and, probably, slightly mad!
    R.
    It must be easy to do as my sister has done the exact same thing - broke her arm on the doorframe when jumping out airplane and didnt notice till after opening chute, she then landed 'like a sack of potatoes' making bystanders think she was a beginner (shes done nearly 200 jumps, cant see the attraction of jumping out of perfectly good ariplane myself )

Blog Entries

Re: Re: Re: Re: Forum Profiles

What's really intriguing me, though I haven't got round to quoting it and asking her, is HOW Lou broke her arm and how she didn't realise it was broken before jumping out of an aeroplane???
    errmmm..... well it's a bit embarrassing. I was learning to do freefall, and on my 4th jump I got a bit lost & ended up landing in a cornfield.:sorry The landing wasn't too bad , except I stepped forward & tripped on a furrow, and put my hand forward to save myself. I had to walk back to the dropzone & I thought the only thing hurt was my pride. So I had to repeat the level & jump again that day. Honestly, my wrist wasn't hurting at all - it was
    only when I tried to use it to steer, I realised I couldn't do it properly and I had my instructor bellowing in my ear through the radio telling me to pull down on one side & I was yelling abuse back (of course he couldn't hear).... It only started to hurt that night down the pub & so the next day I decided not to jump again & made my way home. I still thought I'd only jarred it, though.
    It's only when my Mum made me go down to casualty & have it x-rayed, did I realise that a bone was broken. And I was in plaster for 12 weeks in the nicest days of summer.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Forum Profiles

Originally posted by Lou

errmmm..... well it's a bit embarrassing. I was learning to do freefall, and on my 4th jump I got a bit lost & ended up landing in a cornfield.:sorry The landing wasn't too bad , except I stepped forward & tripped on a furrow, and put my hand forward to save myself. I had to walk back to the dropzone & I thought the only thing hurt was my pride. So I had to repeat the level & jump again that day. Honestly, my wrist wasn't hurting at all - it was
    only when I tried to use it to steer, I realised I couldn't do it properly and I had my instructor bellowing in my ear through the radio telling me to pull down on one side & I was yelling abuse back (of course he couldn't hear).... It only started to hurt that night down the pub & so the next day I decided not to jump again & made my way home. I still thought I'd only jarred it, though.
    It's only when my Mum made me go down to casualty & have it x-rayed, did I realise that a bone was broken. And I was in plaster for 12 weeks in the nicest days of summer.
    Great story - and I love the image of you yelling obscenities to your instructor while unable to steer! Though, I have to say, my thoughts of you being extremely brave and rather mad (in a nice way!!) remain ...!
    R.

Originally posted by Gus

8. Worst Hangover
    Alcohol is evil.

J

1. Birthplace
    Moorends-Sunny Donny

2. 3 Favourite Books
    Only had chance to read sciencey stuff the past two years but these are old favourites that I've read a few times.

Tess of the d'Urbervilles-Thomas Hardy
    Angela's Ashes-Frank McCourt
    Anne of Green Gables/Avonlea..L. Montgomery

3. 3 Favourite CDs
    Blue for you- Nina Simone
    Big Ones-Aerosmith
    Greatest hits-Blondie or Wide Open Spaces -Dixie Chicks

4. 3 Favourite Films
    Gigi
    A Beautiful Life "Buono giorno principessa!"
    Analyse This

5. Most Hated Film
    Groundhog Day...but also don't like scary movies as I'm a scardy cat! Was banned from watching them as a kid after "Jaws" traumatised me. I used to pelt down he stairs after flushing the toilet incase jaws came and got me. Mum then used to make me walk properly up and down the stairs until I learned to "walk like a lady!" I still haven't learned.

Depends on my mood but I love anything red.

7. Favourite drink
    A nice chablis

8. Worst Hangover
    My one and only VERY VERY bad never to be repeated experience was aged 25. I got very ill after two mexican "specials" which has lager, tequila, cider and lime. I was very happy on safari, dancing and singing (nothing unusual there) However, afterwards, I collapsed on getting out a taxi. I looked like a cartoon character who had no muscles -jelly girl. It was very embarrassing since this was not only in front of Mum and Dad and close family friends but also caught on their friends video camera! I brought up the iguana and donkey I'd eaten and was sick 7 times although I don't remember past the first time. Mum just showered/changed me put me to bed ....twice but I don't remember either time. Talk about gringey. The family have such a laugh at my expense!!!!!!! The video is banned if I ever have children. I have been trying to accidently tape over it with Emmerdale Farm ever since.

9. Best Holiday
    Skiing trip to austria 1st year at uni. Haven't skied since but there's always next year!
    Plus the trip to Mexico with family and six friends to celebrate Mum and Dad's 25th wedding anniversary.

10. Favourite Game
    Like masquerade and love most word games

11. Childhood dream job
    Popstar (inspired by Toyah?! and Bucksfizz!) Psychiatrist or scientist (I've learned!)

12. Real Life Hero
    Mum- since she's not only young, extrovert and fun, she also does a fantastic job with the children she cares for.

A couple of kamikaze moments skiing and couple of car smashes.

I'm sworn to secrecy!

Originally posted by Lisa
    ...........and couple of car smashes.
    Soooo ... you make a habit of this? Remind me to pass next time you offer to give me a lift

I'd TOTALY forgotten about this thread

Guess who's entry for Wierdest Sex was

...hmmmm.... OK - one of the more 'unusual' was on the lower level of a bunk bed. When another girl was sleeping on the top bunk. This was in her room and parent's house. And the girl I was with then climbed back into bed with her.... Perhaps not bizzare or unusual, but fun at the time.... those were the days.

Blog Entries

I have enjoyed reading this thread quite prodigiously!

Perhaps time to revive it, or start afresh?

Blog Entries

Here goes, then.

1. Birthplace
    Northwick Park Hospital, Wembley

2. 3 Favourite Books
    This is a very tough one, so many great books and several which have had a lasting influence, but here are three which come to mind:
    A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving
    La Nuit - Elie Wiesel
    A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson

3. 3 Favourite CDs
    Simon & Garfunkel - The Concert in Central Park
    Pink Martini - can't choose between Sympathique and Hang On Little Tomato, sorry
    Current favourite is Basement Jaxx - The Singles, but likely to change with the season. I tend to love listening to music I also love dancing to.

4. 3 Favourite Films
    I've slightly cheated on this category to include TV series/DVDs as I tend to prefer some great TV to cinema
    I loved the Lord of the Rings Films, and although I was a huge fan of the books as a teenager, I thought Peter Jackson turned some heavy-going prose into some pacy, exciting cinema
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the TV series, not the film )
    Moulin Rouge (or pretty much anything with singing and dancing, Lagaan was pretty cool and that had singing, dancing and cricket! )

5. Most Hated Film
    I'm not a huge fan of horror but my worst ever has to be '28 Days Later'. It freaked me out so much I couldn't watch the end and it still gives me occasional nightmares.

Comfy stretchy tight trousers and a cheeky t-shirt

7. Favourite drink
    champagne

8. Worst Hangover
    The morning after I finished my finals

9. Best Holiday
    It's a toss-up between Sydney and Las Vegas

10. Favourite Game
    Patience

11. Childhood dream job
    Novelist

12. Real Life Hero
    Two people I admire are Elie Wiesel and J K Rowling - probably not quite the same as having a hero.

ohhhhh......I like this thread - great reading!!!
    Here goes then:

1. Birthplace
    Surrey

2. 3 Favourite Books

Sorry i have to cheat - i love too many books
    Green Mile - Stephen King
    Anything by Tess Gerritsen or Nicki French
    Have just discovered Paul Sussman who is also a great read!

3. 3 Favourite CDs

Blood, sugar, sex, magic - Red hot Chilli Peppers (the first album i ever bought)
    Come away with me- Norah Jones
    Soundtrack to Rocky Horror Show - it reminds me of my student days!!

4. 3 Favourite Films
    Donnie Darko
    Motorcycle Diaries
    Labyrinth

5. Most Hated Film
    Any war film they make me very upset!

Whatever makes me feel sexy and confident on the dance floor that day!

7. Favourite drink
    Bellini

8. Worst Hangover
    After my 21st birthday party - I made the mistake of hiring a nightclub in liverpool and organizing buy one get one free on all cocktails, needless to say all my friends bought one and gave me the free one!! I have no memory of the party, lost my keys and was very ill for the next 3 days!!

9. Best Holiday
    Trip to Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe - its the most beautiful place i have ever visited and i got to go white water rafting down the Zambezi!!! loved every minute!!

10. Favourite Game
    Twister with lots of alcohol and lots of friends

11. Childhood dream job
    I wanted to be a trapeze artist in the circus!

12. Real Life Hero
    Too many to mention, i've met so many people who have influenced me and i thought were totally amazing for so many different reasons.

Being charged by a bull elephant while sitting by a waterhole, drinking champagne in South Africa!

Yeah........like i'm gonna put that on the forum!!!

1. Birthplace
    Penrith Cumbria

2. 3 Favourite Books
    Pride & Prejudice
    Wuthering Heights
    Anne of Green Gables - first book I ever read

3. 3 Favourite CDs
    (Loads of these but a few stand out)
    Bad Company - Straight Shooter
    Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
    Eagles - Hotel California

4. 3 Favourite Films
    Any version of Pride & Prejudice
    Pretty Woman - sorry to be so shallow
    World War 2 films

5. Most Hated Film
    Any horror film - really hate them

Anything slimming and sexy

7. Favourite drink
    White wine or Champagne

8. Worst Hangover
    At the age of 16 - my first ever grown up party. All I drank was home made wine!! honest Mum

9. Best Holiday
    Honeymoon to USA - Sailed to NY on QE11 , stayed at The Waldorf and flew back on Concord....fantastic experience

10. Favourite Game
    Trivial, Pictionary and Rapidough - so much fun.

11. Childhood dream
    Singer in a band

12. Real Life Hero
    My Dad who was a prisoner of war for 4 years plus, after being shot down over Holland. He was totally lovely.

Running out in the road as a child and getting my toes run over by a car!

Wouldn't you like to know.

OK, in for a penny, in for a Euro...

1. Birthplace
    Woolwich, London, SE America

2. 3 Favourite Books
    I haven't read any for years, so...ummm
    Famous Five go on an Island
    Famous Five to something else nice and quaint
    Famous Five split up due to pressures of touring etc

3. 3 Favourite CDs
    Buddy Holly - Greatest Hits
    Various Artists - The Number 1 Swing Album 2004
    Indigo Swing - All aboard

4. 3 Favourite Films
    Airplane
    Airplane II
    Life of Brian

5. Most Hated Film
    The Full Monty

Hmmm.....I have a black short (yes black! ) with blue sequins on, that I quite like. Other than that, I'm a man!

7. Favourite drink
    Red Wine or Champagne

8. Worst Hangover
    After a night out with a squaddie in Germany years ago, I was on a ferry back from Zebrugge to Dover at 3am, in a force 10 gale

9. Best Holiday
    Jive N Cruise II, Jan 2004

10. Favourite Game
    Monopoly

11. Childhood dream
    To fly an aeroplane

12. Real Life Hero
    Everyone that's done more than I have.....too many to mention

Head on collision with a double decker bus

In the Caribbean sea off Barbados, while completely underestimating the power of the waves!

Thread Information